Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > The Official Esato Camera Phone Shootout Competition, December 2011: "Something's missing"

Author The Official Esato Camera Phone Shootout Competition, December 2011: "Something's missing"
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 11:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Good day everyone,

So, I was thinking, as the rule is "no image editing" for the camera phone shootout, does that necessarily imply apps such as Vignette or Camera360 or the likes of those?
I am personally inclined to say ... yes and no

Yes because the image is no longer a depiction of the reality around us. If that's the aim of the shootout, then it's understandable to not admit such entries.

No because .. well there are more reasons:
- If you want to see photos as a form of art, I think that a black and white or vignette filter can totally amplify the feeling. There are also those "old photo" filters which can make an ordinary scene look extraordinary, just because an old gasoline lamp may look common if simply photographed, but may be striking if you see it with a sepia filter;
- There's also the fact that some native camera apps have more settings than others. Some have black and white shots, some don't (this brings up the question if BW shots are allowed);
- Unlike post processing on the PC, there's no IT knowledge factor involved. You just get a camera app of the market (i haven't found any good ones while i was using Symbian, but maybe there are) and you use the presets. So more people would have access to the exact same presets, it's just a matter of knowing when to use them;

There would also be HDR shots, not really post processing but still it's not the image as it came from the camera sensor. Overall it may bring dynamism to the table, or it may just open the door for arguments between contestant.

One option would be to (if possible and allowed by the third party application) post the original as well as the filtered result.

Penny for your thoughts.

Best regards.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 11:17
Biosx, we had enough discussion about the post-processing of the image whether it is done on pc or in phone itself. So no HDR or anything you mentioned. About the applications, well i dont know about such android app because i dont have any android phone. May someone who has used these application can help but as far as my opinion goes, i would say use your default camera app and shoot within the limitations of it. Many of us are doing so and are greatly overcome the limitations by their splendid efforts.
[ This Message was edited by: ceaser2008 on 2011-12-05 13:16 ]
ESATO Most Loved & Best Asian Member MMX & MMIX
February : Shoot The MUSIC
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 12:27
The shootout is, as stated many times before, about the skills of the person not the quality of the camera or it's software.

Post a wobbly shot and call it "missing steady hands"
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 12:30
You misspelled my nickname.. it's impolite

I only launched a pertinent question, food for thought if you wish. I may be wrong but your reply seems dismissive.

Anyway, didn't want to get anyone too worked up. It was just a question, i see no reason for replies such as: "don't participate if you don't like it" or "if we can do without, you can do without". That's just silly if you'd ask me. I wasn't trying to change anything, enforce anything, or even imply anything. It was just a question with some arguments. Polite and respectful. I'd sincerely appreciate it if the nature of the replies are at least just as respectful.

And I do have plenty of ideas for this month's theme, it's very well picked and I want to congratulate the author. I was not COMPLAINING nor anything of the likes.

I'm sorry to see that any initiative to engage in on-topic (even if partially) conversation concludes with dismissive answers of the like.

Regards.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 12:46
I think we have a misunderstanding here.
It's always good to think of how to improve this thread. I did think consider the App-filter but I happen to know that there are people out there that use K810 or even older phones. Leaving apps out of this contest gives everybody an equal chance to win. In my opinion the shootout is more about creativity as quality.
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 12:59
Yes, I understand how that could give someone an unfair advantage. Given the nature of the contest (mobile cameras) it's probable not feasible for the moment. And I also think it may lead to controversial discussions between the members as to what and how was processed.

But here's one off the top of my head. What if we had another contest where you're allowed to post process your picture, as long as you post the original as well? Do you think that would work, would people like that?
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 13:06
You could try to start it. I wish you all the luck.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 14:00
Or better yet... allow the person who wins to make that determination... If you win, you call the shots for that month... if during your month you wish to allow post processing then create rules based on what you are looking for. How does that sound? [addsig]
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 14:12
Well, guess both ideas would work, depending on what the people would like. Maybe we'll get more opinions anyway, brainstorming is always nice.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 14:13
I am sorry biosx, i didnt mean to misspell your name and try to disrespect you or your thought. I have edited it. Hope you dont mind it.

About your thought, yes the competition was started to boost up the creativity of a person with mobile cam not to show how well you can post processed your pic. I hope you understand this. For more info on this competition, pls visit this thread. History and Facts.

mlife, i am not agree with you. I think, we should not allow post-processing at all, no matter if the winner likes it or not. I remember, few months back, one winner has incorporated a rule of posting more than one entry rule which was corrected later. But the sad part of it was, he never showed up after that.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 14:47
Maybe we could discuss this in another thread.... So we can get back to the business at hand of waiting for the 1st entries in this months contest... okay, who's gonna be 1st? [addsig]
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 14:57
@ceaser2008: I was joking about the nickname, I'm sure it wasn't on purpose. Nice read with the History and Facts. Thanks! Why are some months missing from the hall of fame? Including the one i won unfortunately

@mlife: you're right, back on topic. Who's the first to have something missing?
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 15:01
I have also noticed that and just finished adding all up including yours winning month as well
Elwin_Chow
K810 Ivory
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-12-06 17:52

On 2011-12-01 03:16:32, mlife wrote:
I hope it draws LOTS of entries! get snapping everyone!

hai congratulations for winning esato competition last month

Sorry for my bad english
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-09 23:05
so far it looks like the only thing "missing" is participation... C'mon, where's the creativity? [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic