Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > "Carrier IQ" logging *everything* on your phone?

Author "Carrier IQ" logging *everything* on your phone?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 20:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
You say it's not big deal, but there are lawsuits filed against HTC, Samsung and Carrier IQ.

On 2011-12-02 16:34:24, etaab wrote:
I think im in the camp of people who dont really find it a big deal...

I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 20:28

On 2011-12-02 19:45:47, laffen wrote:
@Bonovox
You probably won't find Carrier IQ in any of your handsets. I think it has been installed by some US network operators only. Nothing like this has been installed by UK operators. I think. Correct me if I am wrong

OK,fair enough
Phone?? What phone??
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 22:45

On 2011-12-02 20:10:17, tranced wrote:
You say it's not big deal, but there are lawsuits filed against HTC, Samsung and Carrier IQ.

North Americans sues everyone It does not mean the defendant has done something wrong. Such as HTC and Samsung in this case. HTC and the network operators must have set up an agreement how to deal with the extra bloated/branded stuff the operators want to install into their phones.
[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2011-12-02 22:09 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-03 09:42
@ tranced - its not a big deal to me. I used to think very much the same as everyone else, i was worried about the whole big brother thing, but as the years roll on as an adult i find myself leaving a massive paper trail behind me of information, places ive been, things i purchased, where, when and the like. Theres nothing i can do about it.

More and more companies ive never heard of have my details through other companies sharing infromation it would be impossible for me to be truly private. So, i dont think this matters all that much either, its just another way of recording who we are. Only if or when a company uses that information for a truly illegal purpose, such as deducting money from your bank account without cause, then i dont think its anything to worry about because im just another number among millions.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-12-03 08:45 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2011-12-03 15:12
I'm bothered with it, and I'll continue to keep as much of what I do to myself, not because of any 'dodgy' stuff but I've once been a victim of ID fraud and that experience has made me a little more paranoid perhaps. It all started from an online purchase of a few hobby items from a supposedly secure site and the encrypted details of me and others that had used the website/online shop were hacked. Fortunately the bank re-embursed me after the investigation, but it's now prompted me to have a monthly 'ID Aware' service with my bank. I also still get the occasional rubbish scam call on the home phone about my Windows PC...when I have a Mac etc. LOL.

Obviously, as has already been mentioned, there are many other trails we leave, and of course 99.9% or whatever of the data may well be used for whatever analytical purposes, but privacy is privacy and it only takes a few rogue elements to have the know-how to make your life hell with all your details...

The biggest issue for me is the 'stealthy' approach of how Carrier IQ (and whatever others) has been installed without the average Joe Public's complete awareness of this and what it does... For me, there's no excuse for this, and a blatant breach of anyone's privacy, even if it's just specific data. Yes, there are various 'privacy policies' for a lot of systems that we should read carefully in terms and conditions (the onus is kinda more on us in these cases), but these don't seem to have been made apparent with the likes of Carrier IQ, unless I'm wrong?

We, the users, should ultimately have the choice to have these details submitted or not, and it made clear what details are being submitted (as is now manifesting with this whole saga..).
[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2011-12-03 14:21 ]
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi