Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > "Carrier IQ" logging *everything* on your phone?

Previous  123  Next
Author "Carrier IQ" logging *everything* on your phone?
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 13:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If anyone wants to check their phone, here's a an app that can tell if You have any logging app installed http://forum.xda-developers.c[....]t.php?p=17612559&postcount=110
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 14:34
Seems like Mr Eckhart was wrong about at least one thing. Nokia denies that any of their devices has Carrier IQ installed.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 14:42
Boiing I would hardly call myself upset it's hardly something I cry about is it??
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 14:45
You're upset enough to have a silly pop at me about it.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 19:29
I would call it more stating what I think not crying
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 19:58
Ok bonovox, we've established you're not crying. Mind you, I never said you were!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-12-01 23:55
Apple have now weighed in with a statement on this - http://allthingsd.com/2011120[....]pporting-carrieriq-with-ios-5/

Basically confirms previous analysis, they did use it in the past for diagnostics only, personal info was never recorded, and it's already disabled in iOS5 with a view to removing the code altogether, presumably because it's been replaced by Apple's own reporting tools.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 01:16
Yes, it's been replaced by Siri, so they don't need to rely on third-party apps any more. When you use Siri, the things you say will be recorded and sent to Apple to process your requests. Your device will also send Apple other information, such as your first name and nickname; the names, nicknames, and relationship with you (e.g., "my dad") of your address book contacts; and song names in your collection (collectively, your "User Data"). If you have Location Services turned on, the location of your iPhone 4S at the time you make a request will also be sent to Apple.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 08:03
Hmm. While all the above is true, and obvious when you think about it, I was thinking more about the well-flagged diagnostic options baked into ios5. New to that version is the ability to inspect all the crash reports etc and choose upfront whether to send these to apple, or to allow location info to be recorded for diagnostic purposes.

Siri is Siri - they don't hide the fact that the commands are processed off the phone - if you're worried about apple hearing you then you don't use it..
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 13:30
At least I won't be worried about it. See why:

CyanogenMod will never have Carrier IQ
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 15:29
I have no problem with my service providers taking a bunch of my usage activity for analysis to improve their service. I just want them to make it easy for me to turn it off if I want.

Cool that the dev community have already come up with an app to scan the handset to find the spyware (mine doesn't have it so far) and even if it's a work in progress that's a great testament to the efficacy of the open source model that even when something nasty like this pops up, we can get crowdsourced solutions very quickly.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 16:34
I think im in the camp of people who dont really find it a big deal. Im sure all phone manufacturers record all sorts of data about us but to be honest, unless you're someone in a position of political power or celebrity status you've nothing to worry about. I dont think Carrier IQ would really care where i am when i text my girlfriend what i'd like for dinner tonight when im home from work.

Im mundane, boring and of no worth to these companies, unless they want to steal the very few pounds sitting in my bank account.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 16:39
That's true and I cannot see this thing on any of my handsets or is it hidden?? I know it's different slightly but I turn off the Sony Ericsson usage info on my Play as I don't want to be using extra data on it anyway. This does not bother me either it's when people start saying oh you should be with Apple cos it won't happen with them
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-12-02 19:28 ]
Phone?? What phone??
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 19:45
@Bonovox
You probably won't find Carrier IQ in any of your handsets. I think it has been installed by some US network operators only. Nothing like this has been installed by UK operators. I think. Correct me if I am wrong
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-02 19:58
Sony Ericsson statement

Sony Ericsson does not install or support Carrier IQ on its devices. The exception is in the U.S when required by carriers. Sony Ericsson does not receive or gather any information or data collected by Carrier IQ. For questions regarding Carrier IQ, we recommend consumers to contact their operator.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi