Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > 1500 SMS words might be banned in Pakistan

Previous  12
Author 1500 SMS words might be banned in Pakistan
sweeto
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 07:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm afraid they wont be able to stop such texts. who types full spelling? xD e.g Condom as cndm
Salarzae
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 10:59
Sexting between friends is not a bad thing but a family member being abused by unknown caller or texter is not acceptable at all and these actions are taken on complaints from the consumers itself. I'll not agree to ban all or most of the words but I believe its a step towards the right direction.

btw, I'm a member from Pakistan but currently living in UAE.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-26 19:00
Pakistan Authorities Delay Ban On 'Obscene' Words After Widespread Criticism

The Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) decided this week to delay a proposed ban on 1,695 English and Urdu words deemed to be obscene, a list of which words was issued last week, among them the name Jesus Christ.

“[The PTA] was under immense pressure and now denies any involvement in the selection [of the words]. The blow to religious freedom has now been averted,” said Bishop Sebastian Shah of Lahore archdiocese
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-26 19:03
Well written!! I had a feeling this might happen on this as people complain about it.
Phone?? What phone??
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-28 05:13

On 2011-11-19 22:20:41, masseur wrote:

and this action in Pakistan is a little less radical than that in India that I posted about recently where India cap on text messages to deter tele-marketers

Being from India, I have to disagree here. The cap was initially put at 100 SMS' a day and has since then been increased to 200. No person I know sends 200 SMS a day - unless you are a trigger happy teenager. So, most of us here believe the 200 SMS' a day cap is fine to limit pesky callers/spammers. It has been a welcome relief for me at least.

I don't see how this is more radical than censoring words inside an SMS. As for the"culture" thingy, there have been urdu cuss words that too have been banned. Now, I am not saying cussing is a part of Pakistani/India culture but it is common amongst friend and is just friendly. Anyway, this is more of an irritant than biG problem - I guess my Pakistani friends would agree. They would rather cuss each other face to Face - or use IM.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi