Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?

Previous  123 ... 91011  Next
Author From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 11:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-11-14 11:13:00, masseur wrote:
I see a lot of giggly posts but am confused over what crime is being mentioned here

The crime of using iOS, just suggesting another reason why moving to Android could be like being realised from jail, not just in the obvious sense of added freedom. Just my opinion you will no doubt disagree
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 11:52
oh, sorry. I thought there was serious discussion here and that I was missing something important...

guess I was mistaken...

I see alot of throw away comments such as "you can do more with android" but no one seems to want to commit to posting what some of those "more" things are, so I'm curious about that too

edit: well.. except for widgets of course
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2011-11-14 10:54 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 12:16
Using IOS certainly is a very serious crime. Almost as bad as having your own opinion..
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 13:00
Welcome to fragmentation
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 13:35
Where do I start? The fact you can customise literally everything, and fit it to your exact needs. Widgets yes of course but also things like shortcuts to areas you want to get to quickly things like torch light or screen brightness which can easily be altered from the home screen, no need to waffle through settings if you want to switch on wifi etc. Get cool themes and live wallpapers. And if you don't like your phones homescreen you can download a different launcher altogether. iOS? You're stuck with child like buttons which haven't changed in the history of iOS. Where once in 2007 they looked modern and slick, now start to look a bit dated. They offer almost no customisation apart from folders and each apps location. Then there are small things but which are just annoying, want to send a friend a song via bluetooth, can't. Want to set a song as your ringtone, you can't.

Although granted iOS has improved if you've stuck with it you had to wait far too long for features which should be standard, such as wallpapers a camera which actually decent features or multitasking. Even still their multitasking is pathetic when compared with what Android can do. I could cross over onto hardware because iOS obviously is only limited to the iPhone, such as having to wait for video calling etc. despite being available for almost a decade. And you're stuck with a tiny 3.5" screen, yes this once was the biggest on all phones, but Apple have fallen well behind. Where as again going back to the users need Android is great because of the wide range of hardware its on. You want a large screen, small screen a physical keyboard the market is there to provide and with the heavy competition between Android manufactures means that the phones develop rapidly and offer great value for money to the consumer.

Then there is apps, the more complex argument. Yes iOS apps on the App Store are of high quality, but this is also its downfall, the Android Market is far less strict on what it allows and as such offers users a range of different options. Yes this also means a lot of crap gets in, but I don't find this an issue because with people who review the apps the good ones quickly stand out at the top and the rubbish ones slip down. And that's the best way because in the end its the user who gets to decide what should be installed on their phone and not the company. You can also get so much choice on the Android Market that doesn't exist on the App store, it has things that would never have been past by Apple. I've always been amazed at when I think something would be good to have and search for it and someone has created it, where as Apple you stuck to apps which yes will be of good quality but offer less choice to the user.

One thing that really drove me crazy with the iPhone is when I first turned it on, it promoted me to plug into iTunes before I could use the phone. Like seriously?! Why should I be forced to use their software don't I have a say? Then with Android it doesn't care about what you use, plug it in the computer and you can choose what YOU want it to do. When I first plugged it in straight away it appeared as a drive allowing me to easily drag and drop files to it like I'd been used to. AMAZING.

I could go on, but to summarise in my opinion I find Android to be superior to iOS in many ways, but the main thing is the fact that you can customise everything to your needs be free to do what you want to do and not feel like your restrained because Apple say you might do this, do that, have this and have that. And is why it is like a crime to use, and the freeness of moving to Android is like that of being realised from jail.

Oh and how could I forget the price they charge you for the iPhone is also criminal!

To the OP, you should look forward to your Android arrival on the 24th because it'll be special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUwqxHpXMY
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-11-14 12:41 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 14:00
finally... a sensible thught out post in this topic.

However... apps that I wish to access quickly I either place on my home screen, or more likely, they are apps I use regularly and so usually appear with a double click on the home button.

Accessing wifi is one level deep in the settings, hardly something to be worried about and I don't think I have ever changed brightness as the auto setting does what its supposed to. perhaps the need for quick access to these shows some poor performance in the android o/s. (I do recall changing brightness a few times on my GS2 now that I think about it). iOS has endless customisations these days, as does android, but honestly... once you've configured the device to your own linking, how often do you really change things?

you do seem to get annoyed very easily. Perhaps these buttons you speak of haven't changed because they work, and thats what I expect from my phones... and actually, aren't android phones all trying to minimise their hardware buttons and have similar home page matrix style layouts that have been present in iOS since the start?

actually you can send a friend a song by using an app. alot of the philosophy of iOS is that the o/s doesn't have to do everything because a manufacturer cannot guess what every person will do. hence, there's an app for that!

as for apps, most apps these days are released for both platforms. however the more stringently controlled iOS app store has only had 1 recorded app that could have caused a security breach, and that was only done as a demonstration. The lax requirements for the android marketplace provides an easy method for unscrupulous developers to do harm.

Also, when I had the SG2, after installing the apps I had on my iphone I was quite bored by the other offerings and posted this several times and no one repied with disagreement on any of those occassions.

you no longer have to have anything to do with itunes if you choose not to. Indeed you never had to except for the activation. Alot of your post seems to be historical rhetoric which, for the OP choosing a phone today is irrelevant.

to summarise, I like both iOS and android and when I had both recently I tried hard to keep the SG2 and drop out of iPhone but I just found the iPhone does things I do so much more elegantly and effortlessly. this is largely due to all my phone content being centralised in one easy app, and its also due now to iCloud which automatically synch between my iphone and ipad and even my wifes iphone for items that I choose. I can also download an app on my iphone and it automatically appears on my ipad and with my itunes.The whole eco system just works so well.

neither is really "better" than the other IMHO... its simply that one suits some better while the other suits others better. There's certainly no need to get so hot under the collar that I see in your posts
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 14:58
In theory you would think that setting it up and leaving it alone would be fine, but surely that would kill the battery in no time. Leaving bluetooth, Wifi, Mobile internet, GPS etc. I don't think is viable if you want to extend lifetime between charges. Having widgets/shortcuts that feature as on/off for these things is great because it is quick and you don't have to go through settings and find each area. If I'm lying in bed on my side and I don't want the phone to auto rotate I have a widget to disable that. With the brightness I often like to dim the brightness completely when the surrounding are dark, because otherwise I find it strains the eyes and is nasty to read off, yes auto brightness is there but I don't find it really does what I want it to do.

I'm not annoyed, merely stating my utter distaste for iOS, you didn't really focus much on my main point about how customisable Android is, but anyway with it if you prefer to have just a 4x4 16 row of apps, you can do that to make it feel exactly like iOS, or if you prefer widgets you can just use them. Or you can mix and match which is what I do, maybe have the media player widget then a couple rows of apps then the media shortcut widget. As for hardware buttons, I actually prefer using them then on iOS. Let's say your in an app and want to go back you have to move your thumb to the top left of the screen to hit the back arrow, whereas with android all the buttons are located at the bottom for easy access and it just makes it more comfortable to use (then constantly have to reach to the back arrow when your thumb mostly hangs in the bottom half of the screen)

Fair point about the apps, yes you do theoretically could download malware, but if these do get to the Android market are mostly discovered straight away and when installing the app it even tells you what the app wants to access, but as long as there are reviews about the app I don't really find an issue, anyone worried can download something like 'Lookout' which scans all apps installed.

Yes some of my points might be outdated now but you asked me to post about what's good about Android then iOS which is what I'm doing. So you now may no longer have to connect with iTunes to activate the phone, which is a step forward but also backs up my previous point that if you stick with iOS a lot of features which come to it are often well long overdue and although you eventually get them the fact it is silly that they didn't have these features to start with.

I would say Android is better then iOS but that's just my opinion, and I'm not getting angry just discussing my thoughts on why I think it is better, but yes at the end of the day its what you prefer and for me I like to have that feeling of freedom and customisation, and think it is a very powerful OS
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-11-14 13:58 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
cobbler
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 19:17

On 2011-11-14 13:35:43, adsada wrote:

To the OP, you should look forward to your Android arrival on the 24th because it'll be special

Thanks alot. I am looking forward to it I think.

Cobbler
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 19:28
for me, the fact that iphones are so overpriced and really quite restrictive means i will never own a iphone. period. my wife has one, but i find it quite boring.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 19:30
@cobbler, in your opening post you said you were dissapointed about the 4s despite 3 years iphone ownership and it seems that was the trigger to make a change.

until this topic you haven't posted for about 3 years so there's no clue what iphone you previously had.

so... I'm curious about what was your previous iphone?
cobbler
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 21:08
Hi

I went from a P1 i think it was to a XDA Mini s. from there I went to a Nokia N95 8Gb which I quite liked. The I went to iphone 3G to iphone 3Gs to iphone 4. But I think the best phone i ever owned in all my time was probably the P900i.
I like the iphone 4 but I expected so much more for the follow up.

Cobbler
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 21:19
sorry, but I've read so many people being initially unhappy with the iphone 4s but then after a day or 2, most that experienced it appreciated the changes, as did I. I'm just trying to get your persepective here having owned the 4...

if iphone 4s was irrelevant to you the assumption is that you were already not happy with the iphone 4 and so you were already looking elsewhere? or were you actually happy with the 4?
cobbler
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 22:09
Hi

I was happy with the 4. At least until i updated to iOS 5. iOS 5 looks nice enough but the phone suffers with slowdown after a while and i have to keep rebooting it just to make it snappy again. It performed alot better on iOS 4 i think.
For me, SIRI is a gimmick that i would never use, so a speed increase and camera upgrade just wasn't enough for the 4s. A bigger screen would have been nice. But I think I'm just fed up with the restrictions and miss the good old days of Symbian UIQ etc. I don't know, maybe I just need a change.

Cobbler
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 22:29
great! this sounds more thought out than simply an excuse of "having expected more of the 4s".

I'm now interested to hear your thoughts on the Nexus as I too would like to trial this one, if only to try out Ice Cream Sandwich having already had the galaxy S2 on 2.3.5

btw, I utilise Siri every day for multiple uses, and once its few features that are currently only available in US (local businesses/transport etc) become more global my use will definitly increase exponentially. My 21 yo son who has never liked iphone from day 1 and is a devout Nokia/Symbian (he has N8) and more recently Android user (he has :se Play) is looking at Siri as one more reason to finally convert to iphone and has me now looking for a 4s for him
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 23:31
I suppose in fairness to some of the posters here, if I genuinely felt as restricted and locked down etc as their iPhones made them feel, I'd ditch it too.

I'm happy to "personalise" my phone with apps and music and the latest baby photo for my wallpaper, and that's about it - the stock ringtones do me fine, I don't miss widgets (I've already disabled one of the new ones in the ios5 notification drawer), I enjoy the simplicity and effectiveness of the iOS interface and my days of tweaking the system under the hood are dead and buried in my UIQ/Windows Mobile past. In three years of iPhone I've never even been tempted to jailbreak.

I choose to organise my music (wherever it comes from) in iTunes, so being "tied" to it makes no odds to me - but of course increasingly the iPhone isn't tied to it at all, there are other ways to stream and even store music on the iPhone if the idea of using an Apple-branded media manager is that abhorrent.

The iPhone freed me from the drudgery of past devices that just never worked right or loved up to their promise - right from the start it's done what it's meant to, incredibly well and without fuss. Each new phone and/update has built on that.

As for the AppStore, that's the very opposite to a prison, a complete liberation. I can try out all manner of software knowing full well that it's not going to do anything bad (or at least anything I don't choose). I can pay pence for high quality software rather than pounds, because the market economics of a single app outlet on such a huge platform make it worth everyone's while, devs and consumers alike. I've got 223 apps installed that, between them, basically make for the best, most entertaining and most ridiculously useful computing experience I've ever had. So is it like jail to me? Not so much.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2011-11-14 22:35 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic