Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > The new mobile spec race - Multicore processors and Clock Speed

Author The new mobile spec race - Multicore processors and Clock Speed
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 05:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Same as everybody fell before for the MP race in the cameraphones era, now everybody is falling victims to this new processing cores and speed race in the modern smartphone era!!

The tipping point where everything reaches a new dimension of functionality is already reached folks. From that moment on, it's just an evolutionary process..
You can't compare this with the jump of early PCs to what we have now!

Throughout all these years, we had some milestones.. Tipping points.. But between each of these points, a normal evolutionary process goes in..

Manufactures would like you believe that these yearly chipsets upgrades are worth the go and about new revolutionary step each year, but just to push you get these new products. No more no less!

Think about it! You don't really need to be a computer scientist nor a computer engineer!
No doubt with each year this new processors will be bring more raw power and better efficiency.. But this is what to expect.. The normal flow of evolution.

What games or apps exist at the moment that really require these latest chipsets to optimially run on?!
Are there any?

There are benefits in terms of full HD video capabilites.. Better gaming capabilities.. Faster web browsing..
But to not to the extent you'd think this is all revolutionary and definitely worth the wait and purchase!

Don't fall for those NVidia promo videos! They pay two dev firms to demonstrate two games in the making utilizing all four cores and making use of it, and make their own promo game as well to try convince you as much as possible!

First of, this is really more about gaming than anything else! Multi-tasking, web browsing, overall performace all get little boosts given the OSes and software get optimised for that which is another major point in itself.. But specially NVidia, they're in for the gaming business! It's a huge opportunity for them to build that alternative gaming ecosystem to the mainstream ones.. Specially on the mobile scene..

Consider the current GSII, and the coming GSIII given it comes with a quad-core similar to the Tegra 3..
What real uses and boost in functionality do you really expect?

What apps and games are you expecting? And in what time frames?

In other words, what is all this fuss about?!!

What's funnier are those talking about multi-threading without knowing anything about the topic? Why do you comment on things you nothing about?

What you should be pushing for is the quality and user experience not stupid specs!
What's the use of 1080p if the video quality isn't there yet! You should look forward for quality optics, quality sensors, and quality processing, not stupid numbers!
What's use of all this gaming power if there is no real gaming community on Android?! On iOS there is Game Center, Xbox Live on WP.. Isn't it about the experience after all?! Not about stupid graphics that no matter how better they get they'll never reach what is offered by home gaming consoles and gaming PCs both on details and experience levels..
Same as it was with the MP race!!
Push for things really useful like NFC, quality displays not high resolutions, augmented reality, services integration, etc..

I'll leave you with these three links right on the issue, delivering information and explanations that could be consumed by everybody without going deep into the domain:

Dual-core smartphones: The next mobile arms race
Should you be saving up for a quad-core Smartphone?
Wall ahead in multicore programming
[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2011-11-11 04:48 ]
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 09:07
Nice topic.
It has happened before on the PC arena.
Dual-core CPU's came and than dual core GPU's came.
Nothing has changed really apart from a little bit fancier graphics.
I'd like to remind you Quake 4 failure. Can't come any closer to Quake3's succes eventhough the astonishing graphics.

User experience is all about software.
Faster software doesn't mean the best experience either.

I totally agree with you @false_morel. This is just polishing the shell.
Of course games and some stupid applications that never need that fast processing power will benefit from these faster CPU's and GPU's. As a user we don't really need them.

Internet is getting faster and faster. World is getting more like a single city every other day. If something is going to be next mobile spec race; it is either payment systems related like NFC or accesing all our data(music, HD video, document archives, etc) secure and fast like cloud systems .

Cheers.
Forever !!!
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 09:34
its not just bogus, tegra 3 can run windows 8, that opens up alot of possibilities, moreover, you need to develop a platform which the developers can use..I am all up for advancment, but with emphasis on better quality.. Looking at tegra 3 and asus transformer prime, i see no reason why someone should criticize it.. IT will take time for games to catch up on android, ios was out much longer than android..

@OfflineR,

I didnt know that quake 4 was a failure with 8 out of 10 rating. Imo, failure is something that goes below 6 or 5.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-11-11 12:33
@djin
Games might get 8 maybe even 9 out of 10 and they might be great in many ways. IMO a real succes is a sustainable one. People stopped playing Quake 4 about a year after the release whereas Quake 3 has been played almost 5 years. I couldn't find the figures but I'm sure Quake 3 rised more revenue than Quake 4 (I hope )

Same as iPhone generation. It hasn't got the best hardware(but had a quite capable one), it hasn't got the best software(neither flexible nor the fastest), but it has a great user interface. I personally never like the iPhone's way of doing things but despite the restrains most of the people love it. That is a success. You may remember all the iPhone killer phones which got 9 out of 10 from most of the respectible mobile phone review sites but where are those phones really

This has gone slightly of topic. Sorry for that.
[ This Message was edited by: OffLineR on 2011-11-11 11:34 ]
Forever !!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi