Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung world leader in smartphone sales. HTC tops US chart

12  Next
Author Samsung world leader in smartphone sales. HTC tops US chart
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 15:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
HTC was the top US smartphone manufacture during 3rd quarter. At the same time, Samsung took the lead as the world's number one smartphone manufacture
Esato News

Samsung, HTC and Apple 

Samsung shipped over 27 million smartphones world-wide during the third quarter. This is a growth of 252% since 3rd quarter 2010. Canalys report that the worldwide smartphone sales increased 49% up to 120.4 million units. In fact, this the the second best smartphone sales in history only passed by Nokias 4th quarter sale figures in 2010. Samsung shipped 4.9 units under its own brand in the US during the third quarter.

HTC is the best selling brand in the US with 5.7 million smartphones shipped. According to Canalys, this is almost 25% of the US market share. In addition to the 5.7 million HTC branded devices, it is estimated that 70,000 units are sold with the T-Mobile brand

With HTC on first, Apple was pushed down to third place by Samsung on second in the US market.  Usually Apple has a new iPhone ready for the third quarter, but as we all know, the late introduction of the iPhone 4S in October will have affect on Apple sales figures for the 4th quarter results. Apple sold 4.6 million iPhones during the third quarter in the US.

Canalys makes a note of the fact that RIM's maket share in the US fell below 10% and they are punished because there are no 4G Blackberry's. Apple does not have an iPhone with 4G but they get away with it, but RIM or any other US smartphone manufacture does not.

China will soon be the world largest smartphone market. 23.2 million units was sold there compared to this quarters largest smartphone market where 23.4 million units sold in the US. Nokia has traditionally been strong in China but had a drop in market share from 75% to 28% year-on-year. Now that Nokia has started to ship Windows Phone 7.5 Lumia devices world-wide, we might see a change during the first half of 2012.

source (PDF)

julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 15:43
Take that Apple!
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 19:38
Apple sold 4m iPhone 4S in a matter of days so expect them to be #1 next quarter.

I don't think RIMs problem is not having 4G. They were slow to implement 3G also but it didn't hurt their growth. I think they have saturated their market and need a new product strategy.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 19:52

On 2011-11-02 19:38:00, carkitter wrote:
Apple sold 4m iPhone 4S in a matter of days so expect them to be #1 next quarter.

Exactly, people were waiting for the new iPhone in the 3rd quarter, hence sales of the iPhone4 have been lower.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 20:26
I sense a disturbance in the iPhone force and i reckon that we are at a new turning point in market share where HTC and Samsung,Nokia and the new Sony will take the lead to retain dominance over Apple.Post Jobs Apple won't be as powerful as before.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 20:31

On 2011-11-02 15:43:32, julias wrote:
Take that Apple!

I am not saying anything to do with crApple on Esato anymore
Phone?? What phone??
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 20:46

On 2011-11-02 20:31:57, Bonovox wrote:

crApple

And this isn't saying anything ?

I think, we should all buy the phone we want, need and can afford, without putting down other people's choices.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 21:02
Ah well yes you're right there clean slate. But I could not resist the name Rikken calls them Anyway,back to topic I wonder if Samsung may have done better if the GS2 was released over there??
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-02 20:03 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 21:26
In the US, a phone may have different names, depending on the carrier that's selling it. Afaik one of the networks is selling a Galaxy which equals the GSII, with 4G, have read that on GSMArena, but don't remember the name of the phone nor the network
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 21:33
Well I thought it was not released there yet. But I am surprised by HTC in the US I never realised they were doing so well over there.
Phone?? What phone??
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 21:38
HTC now is what Nokia used to be its that good!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 21:41
Yes,I realised Nokia pulled out of America with Symbian. But with Microsoft being American maybe they will do well again over there?? What's the current market in USA for Windows Phone??
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 22:25
The GSII is being sold in the USA but with slightly different names like Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch on Sprint. I don't remember the names on the other two networks but the GSII is on ATT,T-Mobile and Sprint. Only Verizon is without it however it is believed that this might be due the Verizon being the launch customer for the Galaxy Nexus in the US.

Another thing is that they have slightly different designs, some with bigger sized screens and all have a different set of buttons on the front. Looking at them you would not know that they are supposed to be the GSII.

Look at this comparison - Phonearena.com

It only allows three phones at a time but compare to the GSII that you have
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 09:44

On 2011-11-02 21:38:56, julias wrote:
HTC now is what Nokia used to be its that good!
Er... no.
What Nokia used to be is a seller of a brand of smartphone whose owners couldn't tell you what OS it ran or where to find apps. That's why iOS and Android have run amuck and Symbian has been abandoned.

On 2011-11-02 21:41:22, Bonovox wrote:
Yes,I realised Nokia pulled out of America with Symbian. But with Microsoft being American maybe they will do well again over there?? What's the current market in USA for Windows Phone??
Nokia didn't pull out of America. Nokia's presence is America was never significant is one of the main reasons it (and Sony Ericsson) couldn't compete with the iPhone.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was Nokia CEO and was relaunching my brand based around an American OS with features such as ESPN sports news and was looking to grow American sales and compete with American/Canadian companies such as Apple, RIM, Motorola and Google, not to mention companies already successful in American sales such as Samsung and HTC, I'd certainly stage my press event in California or New York, instead of London, and release my phones in high profile American stores first instead of places such as Italy, Spain and the Netherlands.

I can't see Nokia being successful in America with the current strategy. Samsung have just announced a new WP7 phone and it will get to NZ before the Lumia range, and probably the same in the US.

Market share for 1Q11 is here. Two thirds of the way down you'll find the OS table with 3.6m in sales for 'Microsoft'. This includes Windows Mobile (2m sales) + Windows Phone 7 (1.6m sales). Yes thats right, prior to the current figures, WP7 was being outsold even by WM6.x devices earlier this year.

It's interesting that Chinese sales figures are poised to overtake US sales. Now Nokia needs to make headway in two unfamiliar markets.

Also interesting is RIM's predicament. It's doing okay outside of the US but it's US sales are tanking. The issue here is structural. I've seen figures on blogs that indicate RIM is selling to a mature, saturated market and running out of new potential customers. They need an all new product but their Playbook is largely unsuccessful and is limited in that it needs to connect to a Blackberry phone. Also, Blackberry apps have been slow to emerge and RIM is having to include Android App support in QNX just to get some traction. This is not good.

I've been considering this situation today and I think RIM's best way forward from here is to adopt the Windows Phone OS for it's phones and Windows 8 for the Playbook. I can't see Blackberry OS/QNX making headway and adopting Android would be a security risk for most Enterprise customers. RIM needs a closed OS and WP7 would suit perfectly. I'm sure Microsoft would love to have another major manufacturer in it's stable too, but Nokia probably wouldn't like it much.

I had decided it was only a matter of time before Microsoft was forced to prop up an ailing Nokia with a buyout, but if RIM joins the WP7 family then a buyout would be unlikely as WP7 would have more chance of success the more it gains manufacturer support.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 10:01
2Q11 market share figures are here. The figures list 'Microsoft' again not WP7 but the amount this time has fallen to 1.7m so I'd say that is almost exclusively WP7 devices and very few WM6.x devices. Most people expect it to be Nokia's job to lift that significantly but I don't think the Lumia range as it stands is compelling enough.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi