Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Sony confirms acquisition of Ericsson's share of Sony Ericsson

Author Sony confirms acquisition of Ericsson's share of Sony Ericsson
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 20:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.u[....]gs-to-a-216-million-loss-in-q2
This mentions Sony making a huge loss. It also mentions their loss in sales of their TV sets. That is cos Samsung again is selling quality LCD tv's at better prices & Sony TV's are way too expensive in comparison for the same quality.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-02 19:41 ]
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 21:59

On 2011-11-02 20:39:46, Bonovox wrote:
http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.u[....]gs-to-a-216-million-loss-in-q2
This mentions Sony making a huge loss. It also mentions their loss in sales of their TV sets. That is cos Samsung again is selling quality LCD tv's at better prices & Sony TV's are way too expensive in comparison for the same quality.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-02 19:41 ]

Interesting part from that is, "He also said that Sony’s smartphone business would be key to the firm’s future." So there is no room for failure especially after investing a billion into it. Guess this a good thing though, that the their phones will be their main focus and worked on heavily to be competitive (hopefully) so we should see far more competitive hardware? And the quality we've come to expect from Sony, but not so much from SE since the days of the K800i.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 22:05
Indeed,people expect quality from Sony
Phone?? What phone??
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 09:50

On 2011-10-29 11:22:48, argiriano wrote:

On 2011-10-29 01:29:30, masseur wrote:

I'm sorry, but please explain how the Z5 was ugly (in its day - but even today it still holds its own IMHO)

anyway, since when did Sony put out ugly products... they are very similar to Apple in that respect

Design wise Ericsson was miles ahead at that time.
Just look at the lines, element gaps and transitions, curves and edges on T28 (1999) and compare them with Z5 (2000).

Seriously, how does one even begin to compare the toy-like Sony phone with the pure class that is Ericsson? The T28/T29 were made by aliens, nothing that the mobile phone world had ever seen. There definitely were aliens working at Ericsson and they knew how to make quality phones that were as well built as they come. I miss that metal frame around their phones, my GH688 is sitting in its box without a battery but in excellent condition after countless falls.

I always bought the ultra slim battery for it and it looked really slim and better than the phones back then.

There just is no comparison, Ericsson were ahead of Sony in all departments.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
lewko
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 10:02
I had both Z5 and T28.

Z5 was like a ferrari compared to T28 being a Mercedes...
It had a fantastic big screen, great speed and jog-dial, the best control devices i had used in years...
Even now in the era of big touch screen devices I miss a HW control option like 5-way jog dial....

T28 had compared to Z5 better battery and more decent looks.
But in terms of size and usage? Z5 was the clear winner.
Oh boy how i miss that phone....
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 16:16
I spotted this headline today
http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.u[....]rms-a-christmas-stock-shortage
I like the way they said the Swedish handset manufacturer not mentioning Sony/Japan
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-07 15:20 ]
Phone?? What phone??
iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 22:14

On 2011-10-29 11:22:48, argiriano wrote:
Design wise Ericsson was miles ahead at that time.
Just look at the lines, element gaps and transitions, curves and edges on T28 (1999) and compare them with Z5 (2000).

Ericsson was never ahead of Sony in terms of design. Z5 is not the most photogenic phone. It does look kind of ugly on pictures, but holding it for the first time was a completely different story. Oh boy! I still remember when I saw first pictures of it, and although T28 was a big hit for Ericsson, it didn't have the same punch as Z5 when released. Ericsson had too mainstream/meh image compared to Sony. They were just not in the same category (in my social circles at least).

Disclaimer: I may be biased, as my first mobile phone was Sony Z1, which is to this day, the best experience I had with a phone. *Brings back some memories..
[ This Message was edited by: theos on 2011-11-07 21:14 ]
nicksato
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 01:02
I remember when Sony was making cell phones. They sucked!!! Go back and look for them for your selves. Thanks to Ericsson, Sony started picking up and both making great sales. Now that Sony ''thinks got some balls'', is trying to take the market by it self. I feel sorry for you Sony and you once sucked, and you shall suck again!
Happy New Year!
dazbradbury
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-12-16 03:03
If the Sony only phones are going to be as well designed as the Z5 was in it's day, this is great news.

The Z5 is the only phone I still own more than a year old. I only have it as a backup, as I need some modern-day features, but it's probably the best phone I've ever used.

Bring back the designers and engineers that made the Z series, and put them to work I say!
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 06:31

On 2011-12-16 03:03:56, dazbradbury wrote:
If the Sony only phones are going to be as well designed as the Z5 was in it's day, this is great news.

The Z5 is the only phone I still own more than a year old. I only have it as a backup, as I need some modern-day features, but it's probably the best phone I've ever used.

Bring back the designers and engineers that made the Z series, and put them to work I say!

I would be more hopeful if I could see ever again the product of Ericsson T or R series engineers or from this SonyEricsson bought out by Sony or simply by the Ericsson itself.

Or just the future phones engineering to remain in Lund. Many people formulate the expectations from the new Sony phones if it could make miracles. And -as I see- almost everybody think that Sony will give for customers what Sony Ericsson didn't want or couldn't gave.
But in my opinion the rich features of Sony Ericsson phones and the intangible impressions -which people bught these phones for- originate from Ericsson -even if they have the fingerprints of Sony too. The themes of UI -which reappeared in a poorer form in recent Android devices-, the Stopwatch, Timer, etc., the pursuit to integrate the richest media features were the the distinguishing marks of Ericsson (even from the time of T39 with attachable camera, mp3 player, radio, etc.).
That's right that SE phones made the biggest sales with K750, Cyber-Shot, or Walkman models. But I think Ericsson would have created such phones with similar features, only they would have used other manufacturers optics in the cameras, and they would have branded their musicphones with other brands, as Nokia produced phones with these features too, without Sony, and they just followed Sony Ericsson in this terms. So I think primarily Ericsson could have the idea of putting together the phone, camera and music player in this way. I doubt if Sony solely would dare to make this thing with its phones (or just after almost every manufacturer made cameraphones with xenon flash -Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, and music phones too), as always had the fear by the side of Sony of cannibalizing their own products. I think this won't change in the near future. For example why would they make a cameraphone with xenon flash, if nowadays none of manufacturers have such an offer, being irrelevant that there is a massive demand for this kind of cameraphones . The difference between the future Sony phones and past Sony Ericssons is this. In 2006 Sony Ericsson dared to release a Cyber-Shot phone before other manufacturer, and in this terms they lead the market, and I think the innovative thinking of Ericsson about phones had an important role in this. Now Sony just tries to pick up the competition with other manufacturers, and why would be too innivative if people buy their phones this way too.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 15:30
Sony Ericsson branding yanked from SE corporate HQ in London.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony[....]ng-yanked-from-uk-hq-16202819/
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi