Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia Lumia 800 discussion thread

Previous  123 4 ... 343536  Next
Author Nokia Lumia 800 discussion thread
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 02:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
funny how everyone comments that the iphone screen is not big enough and yet suddenly this Nokia screen is fine! even though there is a miniscule .2" difference and yet the Nokia screen is only 800 x 480 resolution while the iPhone is 960 x 460 (i.e. 1.6 times as many pixels)!

I do like the look of the 800 and when it (or a successor) gets Nokia maps, its probably the windows phone 7 phone that I will get as my first taster of the new o/s
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 02:38
I wanna try Nokia Windows phones but not too early on. I wanna see how well they do and how good they become.
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 02:42
Not long ago I thought iPhone was big
It has Nokia Maps.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 02:59

On 2011-10-29 02:31:38, masseur wrote:
funny how everyone comments that the iphone screen is not big enough

Not "everyone", I've never said, the iPhone screen is nog big enough, on the contrary, as a woman, I have small hands and those big, but thin phones are very uncomfortable for me to use.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 03:06

On 2011-10-29 02:59:25, Marly wrote:

On 2011-10-29 02:31:38, masseur wrote:
funny how everyone comments that the iphone screen is not big enough

Not "everyone", I've never said, the iPhone screen is nog big enough, on the contrary, as a woman, I have small hands and those big, but thin phones are very uncomfortable for me to use.

indeed it was your post, and that of hihihans, and those I've read on other forums that caused me to post the opinion that you quoted.

there's so much conflicting opinion on screen size which is largely based on bias out there...
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 03:12
it also has something to with getting used to. 4.3 looks like something one can surf on but I'm sure that in a while I change my mind.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 03:16
This is a cute little phone
reminds me of Apple's nano 4g a little (minus the jog)

I hope its a sucess for Nokia!
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 03:17
@hihihans
I quite got used to 4.3" when I had the Samsang Galaxy S2 but I didn't miss it after nearly 2 months usage when I sold that phone and continued on with the iPhone.

Screen size is not the single factor that makes a phone choice for me and indeed if the iPhone had a 4.3" screen it would make it all that more interesting for me and even harder to change device

still hoping the iphone 5 takes that step
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 11:34
Nokia Windows Phones to get
exclusive EA games.
Found it at wmpowerusers
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 11:40
EA do the same frequently, e.g. the Play and even in the iphone app store occassionally
they can then use it as a platform for getting more sales.
standard practice IMHO
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-29 21:05
I always said that around 3.7 inches was about right for a screen. But since having the GS2 I now realise I missed the big screen for browsing especially!! @masseur I happen to actually really notice the difference in use between 3.5 to 3.7 strangely even though it seems small in comparison. I give credit to Nokia that they are going to release more affordable Windows Phones.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9626628.stm
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-29 20:40 ]
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 08:16
watching reviews of this lumia 800 now makes me realise why I'm hesitant.

I've been on the internet since the days of a mosaic browser on the DEC VMS computers in the early/mid 90's where gopher was the only search facility available.

I've never liked online presence and don't do twitter, facebook etc and actually googling my name brings only one real result which is LinkedIn but then due to their privacy settings you have to be a member and connected to me to see any more.

I originally was put off by the iOS 5 integration of twitter but since it is actually only to be used if you have a twitter account I have since become relaxed about that.

The trouble is that if a device is being marketed largely around its social aspects I simply lose interest immediately as it suggests that other functionality is probably background/secondary, though I understand that many people do have online presence these days.

My friends know my phone number and email address and they will contact me by those methods if they want a 'real' chat and catchup
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 11:48
Yeah i hate Face Book and social networks myself
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 13:24
I do have all that social crap but I do understand the danger in it.
I'm not sure about the advantage of full intergration but i'm willing to try it. I can always stop it.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-10-30 15:05
From my own experience with my Trophy (2 months now) I can say, that if you haven't set up an account, you don't see anything Facebook-ish on the phone, even the little FB-logo in the People-hub in new phones, won't appear anymore, when you've set up your email etc., but no Facebook.

Without good social media integration you don't sell phones nowadays, so they had to integrate it (and it's been very well done), but there's no need to use it, when you don't want to, I don't "do" FB myself either, don't hate it though, a few friends have it and I have a look at their pages once in a while, only to find out, that they haven't updated it , they're not addicted to it, which is good.

When you have other needs, than social media integration, reviews are pretty useless, all reviewers look at the same things.
A friend, sys-admin of a large site, has a Nokia N900, with which he can do lots more than any reviewer would think you'd be able to do with a phone. Now he's interested in a N9 and he wants to know, whether he can do these things with it aswell, but there's been no review yet, where he's read even a tiny little bit about these options, probably because none of the reviewers would know, how to do it.

@masseur: nice new avatar
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-10-30 18:12 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 343536  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic