Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Microsoft Says Android is for Computer Scientists and Siri is nothing new.

12  Next
Author Microsoft Says Android is for Computer Scientists and Siri is nothing new.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 19:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said that Android is for Computer Scientists and Siri is nothing new he also said that the iPhone is the most expensive phone in the world.

Do you agree with his remarks?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sc[....]ors-circle-internet-giant.html
[ This Message was edited by: julias on 2011-10-20 19:17 ]
[addsig]
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 19:21

On 2011-10-20 19:11:09, julias wrote:
he also said that the iPhone is the most expensive phone in the world.

Apparently he's never heard of Vertu, Mobiado etc.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 19:38
I think he may have meant the most expensive mass market phone.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 20:08
well he's true in that Siri isn't particularly new. I was using Microsoft Voice Command on my windows mobile devices nearly a decade ago and it was very good even then
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 20:11
He is hilarious, i just cant take him seriously anymore, everytime he opens his mouth about other companies and their products, something crazy comes out.

With 550,000+ activations a day that A LOTA Computer Scientists

4million units sold in a weekend and Siri server crashing due to high value, nothing, realy?

Most expensive? You can get a 3GS for next to nothing, and iPhone4 has been very well priced in contract even before the 4S.
Most new Androids cost more than an iPhone, but the iPhone holds its value VERY well as only one is released every year and demand completely out numbers availibility.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 00:51
@Tsepz_GP Agreed as the CEO of Microsoft his remarks are making him look stupid the only thing I agree with is Siri as masseur mentioned is very old.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 01:09
Well first off, I hate looking at stuff reworded or taken out of context, so. He said "'The biggest advantage we have over Android is that you dont need to be a computer sci entist to use a Windows Phone" Which is of course complete crap, because as anyone know using an Android phone is pretty easy, I think the point he was trying to make, is that using Windows Phone 7 is very basic and that it's easy to use, much like iOS. I sort of agree with this because Android as great as it is, took me a while to really understand how to use it, plus you are given so many options to customise it and provides settings which only really people who are interested in that sort of stuff need to know. Whereas Microsoft and Apples attempts keep things easy and simple. It is though quite a patronising statement, in that, he implies that people need simple phones because they cannot manage more complicated things. But I still see what point he is trying to make, Android is far more complicated and more developer focused which of course is no bad thing as you have much more control on how you want your phone to be like fit to your needs.

I agree with him on Siri, just another voice recognition software, no biggie nothing creative or unique about it, likewise the point he made about the iPhone (mind this was back in 2007) being the most expensive handset again I'd agree. Comparing the market, it is a complete rip of (imo) you can get phones for far better value with more stuff packed in. You also have a phone which has hardware which is a available at the time, not having to wait a lot longer for it if you buy iPhones (decent camera, front facing camera etc.) The iPhone is really not worth the money people pay for it, but they do pay for it because of its media hype and extremely high brand appeal.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-10-21 00:11 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 01:54
Android handsets almost all of them are cheaper than iphone.
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 02:13
Forgive Steve, the board is on his back, Windows phones are not selling, Nokia is bleeding and everyone is focused ICS and IOS5. I personally think that iPhones are overpriced and over-hyped and would not waste money on one for me.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 02:30
I don't have an iPhone, but I agree, they do have a very high brand-appeal, but they're certainly not a waste of money. They keep their value very well (especially the 3GS and 4), so when it's time for a new phone, they're easier to sell and at a better price, than most other smartphones
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2011-10-21 01:34 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 03:48
I kind of agree with him. Day before yesterday I was having a chat with my friend about Android vs iOS and I did felt that Android is more for the developers than for normal consumers. I personally don't like iPhone because of it's limitations but Android is open. Now what can you do with the open source is the vital question, otherwise it's same as iOS. People root and customize, but there are people who also build custom ROMS and other stuff, which you don't happen to see in iOS. I would not use computer science but I feel it's the best for developers.

As masseur says, Siri isn't new, there has been third party applications on Android too. If you are from States, you will be able to use it like a charm as it pick up US accent pretty well but international can have a hard time using voice commands. And ya, Microsoft had it long time back.

---

If Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Sony Ericsson had done marketing like Apple, I'm sure Apple would be no where.
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 10:58
Should we take his words seriously, i think we should be proud, as this means every android user knows computer science and WP7 users were amateurs?
10 years at Esato
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 11:08
He is no Bill, no Steve or Paul (Allen)

he is just a man in a suit....

he can claim he get the ergonomics done way better than Android or iOS but the sales figure kinda self explain even he continue to trumpet how great WP7 is.

For me, I am sick and tired of listening to Microsoft claim on their future OS ....they promise about fast boot up on PC so many years ago and only now we see a hope on Windows 8.
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 15:21
@ Masseur, totally agree. The Siri concept is not new, been around for a while. However you have to hand it to Apple for making it more "usable"? And the part about Android being for Computer Scientists??? I don't think that should be dignified with a response! Steve needs to focus on making Windows Phone the great platform that Windows Mobile was in the early days and not go after the two biggest mobile phone OSs
If it is to be it is up to me!
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-10-22 03:49
I guess everyones entitled to there opinions
im abit curious of this new Windows Mobile 8 format arriving though

so hmm those comments are they concluding something
I mean have Microsoft got the next big thing coming

btw I disagree about iPhones being expensive there not
its just that EU and the UK have to cough up for them
if you look at the costs of them over in America where they originate
for example they cost less

Scientistically Android lol mental!
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi