Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson closes down xperiablog.net

Previous  1234  Next
Author Sony Ericsson closes down xperiablog.net
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 02:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
sadly, probably, no. but unfortunately domain name registration started long before the realisation of the abuse that can be made of registering domains in the names of know companies and trademarks of such companies, and this is why now this issue is covered by legislation
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 02:15
Cool! Let's all think about 'legislation' before we strike up a fan blog!
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 02:33

On 2011-10-19 13:03:38, Mizzle wrote:
Trust me, they're quite fond of doing things this way... It's ridiculous.
[ This Message was edited by: Mizzle on 2011-10-19 12:08 ]

So I remember.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 02:49

On 2011-10-20 02:15:52, goldenface wrote:
Cool! Let's all think about 'legislation' before we strike up a fan blog!

I get where you're coming from but..

probably any online venture should be giving serious consideration before "jumping in" these days? and certainly there is enough history in this arena for site owners/web masters etc to know that they should beware of domain/site names that infringe trademarks or copyright as plenty of sites have already gone under for exactly these reasons.

this is the way the world works these days...
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 03:03
the legal team at SE seem rigid...with no flexibility by looking into the site is not affecting their business but helping

to me this look like some stupidity inherit from Sony since Sony is the dumb entity in the industry which for the last 10yrs or more failed to exploit their huge content to be integrated to their electronics gadget sold in the market.

they let company like Apple/ Amazon hammer them everyday with all this copyright and trademark plus other legal road block....remember how tough it is to get music into a sony walkman with all the DRM etc stuff..... so this action have no surprises.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 03:05
I think the word's 'these days' says it all really.

So, no-one is allowed to type the words 'sony ericsson' or 'xperia' into google these days unless it leads to an official site, blog or, ...anything that is not officially sanctioned by the great white powers that be? Anything else should be wiped off the internet map?

I completely understand the legalistic view but come on? How can they reach out to developers in one breath and sideline and ban the very same people that work hard to keep the brand alive and kicking?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 03:14
I think this extends far beyond blog sites and is really just the reality of these modern online times given the financial implications far beyond fan sites, and this needs to be accepted "these days"

"reaching out to developers" is obviously an official way of making some sites acceptable within their own rules though I suspect that even that (without actually reading their T&C's) is specifically accounted for...

I'm not a conformist but I am a realist... (who said that?... oh... I did )
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 03:27
I must say I don't recognize now. Actually I was wondering why they did this, but I won't anymore. They should of warned Xperia Blog. Does bad faith means making money out of the phones sells to us?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 03:43
for your first point, I'm sorry but what is "underground" when it is openly visible to the www?

secondly, there may not be any obvious implications but in any legal protection (pre or post internet), there is always a presumption by a trademark holder that there may, at some point, be influences outside their control that may actually affect their financial position on the stock markets or elsewhere

bloggers generally have an enthusiast point of view, which is to be recommended, but when such views allow comments that can negatively impact the value of the company due to their use of URL/domains that easily appear in searches, well that is when they start to protect their interests, if not before...

like I said. This is the real world of economics and it s not a world where all can do as they will, despite possible good intentions
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 04:24
So one does harm, and another bears the blame?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
dika
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-20 05:32
the better way that SE has to do is warned XPERIA blog and suggest change the domain name..not forcing it to close..but I'm wondering that I can access the XPERIA blog until now..does SE ask them to shut the site down? or just ask them to stop posting news?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-20 05:52
is only asking for the domain, not to shut down the forum/blog. Regarding the name, unless it's a name that existed before came up with it (like Desire, Galaxy, Nexus, etc) then has claim to the name.

Xperiablog never pretended to be an official site. I can understand the stance to "protect the name" and all. But when someone puts up a FANSITE... that's a different story. As a company, I think should've just bought out the xperiablog group. Or hired them... or officially advertised on them. A million different ways to either gain control of the sites or maximize their large fanbase already. Anything would've been better (and more profitable) for them than the route they chose to take. Right now, by taking over the domain, they will start from scratch. Existing fans will go to any new domain created. All they'll get are accidentals.

This isn't the 80's anymore. Companies have to start seeing that blogs are real... both good and bad. They can't control every single blog on the planet. And I would understand if xperiablog was a bashing/negative site... it's NOT! Exercising some common sense on SE's legal dept would've made them applaud xperiablog for helping them sell their brand (since their mktg dept isn't doing that good of a job.. tennis? really? that's their GREAT idea for selling phones????)

Again, I do see the whole side of protecting the brand... but I do not agree with the archaic view of "we must own and control everything". Welcome to the digital age ... time to keep up with trends... let go of the 80's when the Walkman was king of the hill (I don't think anyone under 25 knows what a Walkman is, so you can't ride on that name anymore)... you slacked off for way too long for a simple reminder to be good enough. You have to build your brand all-over-again. You can't afford to crush the FEW people that actually are loyal to your brand.

Guess what the reason xperiablog shows up ahead of YOUR blogs is because your marketing guys are LAZY. A blog doesn't rank up just because of the domain name... proof of that is my own blog... I rank AHEAD of techgospel.com when you just type in "tech gospel" as search parameters. I wasn't even in the 1st 10 pages when I started. Now techgospel.com is 3rd... even after a weebly.com subdomain blog. I get news (and responses) much faster on xperiablog. blogs are more like PR updates than blogs... they aren't 2-way. Again this isn't the 80's anymore.

I think THESE guys should be shut down. http://www.xperiasolutions.com/ (This is WAY more misleading than xperiablog. This site even gives the impression that it's an IBM site)
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 08:20
One of the most ridiculous move in mobile business this year, again you just FAILED BIG TIME
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 09:02
So this is the first wave of the upcoming and numerous "Sony-attitude" strikes that the future (or i should say Sony) is going to commit, We should expect the next target to be the Xperia modders, and probably Eldar Murtazin for openly criticizing the company.
10 years at Esato
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 10:07
At the end of the day i guess SE have to protect their name either way.

Im guessing the same thing happened to USEB (Unofficial SE Blog) by Mizzle? Havent seen that mentioned anywhere in a long time.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi