Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson closes down xperiablog.net

Previous  1234  Next
Author Sony Ericsson closes down xperiablog.net
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 14:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Its obviously some stupid lawyer or something with no knowledge about PR who did this. Make SE know we are pissed on twitter. There is a chat with SE on mobil.se this Friday. I will demand answers then.

They will probably reverse the decision once they know how important the blog is
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 15:41
No need to worry as there won't be any xperia's soon
I'm sure all users are welcome to continue here at Esato
bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 15:55

On 2011-10-19 15:41:27, hihihans wrote:
No need to worry as there won't be any xperia's soon
I'm sure all users are welcome to continue here at Esato

dead @ no more xperias

yes, everyone is more than welcome
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 15:57
I am almost sure Sony Ericsson don't want the blog to close down. They probably do not care about its existence. But they want their trademarked name back. If the blog owner change the name of the blog to something else, won't bother him anymore. I think this happened to another fan site some time ago.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 19:56
Which one laffen? Why didn't they close xperia blog down earlier do you think?
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 22:38
I do not remember which site it was. I only know it happen several years ago. Before the Xperia brand was created. I have no idea why didn't do anything about the Xperia blogs before now. But it should not be a problem if they followed Bonovoxs advice and continue doing what they do using another domain name?

You might have noticed that both xperiablog.net and xperia10.net has received formal complaints about the use of the trademark "Xperia". Both blogs which are operated by the same guy are ahead of the official Sony Ericsson blog when searching for "xperia blog" using Google. According to the latest post on these sites, Sony Ericsson claims that they have used the domain names in "bad faith". That is probably true. The domain names has most likely been one reasons why visitors interested in Xperia has clicked on the link when listed in search results. The blogs has therefore earned its reputation because it has been using Sony Ericsson trademarks.

Sony Ericsson is most likely using this paragraph when complaining about the xperia**.net domain usage:
by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract, for commercial gain, Internet users to your web site or other on-line location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's mark as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of your web site or location or of a product or service on your web site or location

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 22:40
I have not noticed but does have their own Blog??
Phone?? What phone??
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 23:01
Three blogs:
  • Greenheart blog
  • Developer blog
  • Product blog

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 23:02

On 2011-10-19 22:38:15, laffen wrote:
I do not remember which site it was. I only know it happen several years ago. Before the Xperia brand was created. I have no idea why didn't do anything about the Xperia blogs before now. But it should not be a problem if they followed Bonovoxs advice and continue doing what they do using another domain name?

You might have noticed that both xperiablog.net and xperia10.net has received formal complaints about the use of the trademark "Xperia". Both blogs which are operated by the same guy are ahead of the official Sony Ericsson blog when searching for "xperia blog" using Google. According to the latest post on these sites, Sony Ericsson claims that they have used the domain names in "bad faith". That is probably true. The domain names has most likely been one reasons why visitors interested in Xperia has clicked on the link when listed in search results. The blogs has therefore earned its reputation because it has been using Sony Ericsson trademarks.

True, but someone who is searching for an official blog from SE would they really search 'xperia blog'? Surely they would go for something like 'sony ericsson blog' which then has SE's official one at the top, and the Xperia blog doesn't even appear. People searching for xperia blog would surely be the ones who have heard of this unofficial blog and how good it is as providing information?

But as many have said why not just change the domain that would solve the issue, unless SE is using the domain as it's their only legal position and they are just no happy with the content the blog is creating? Having a look through old posts though most look pretty advantageous for SE, so I don't know.

@bono Yeah its http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/ but since the main blogger has left, it has become pretty crap with no real decent information.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 23:04
Ah ok cool I never noticed that on website.
Phone?? What phone??
semo
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 23:17
I think SE didn't realize what is going on. Why would a company want to offend their own biggest fans like this?
Moreover this blog is really popular among other SE supporters, the same ones who promote SE in other blogs and forums and among friends.
Probably if people at SE realize what is going on, they will reverse their decision.

@Laffen
Wouldn't it be a good idea to put this post in the Esato's news?
We could help, afterall Esato is respected by SE a lot.
In the past my phones all had the Esato web site preinstalled in their browsers.

I am surprised that, right now, in their struggle for survival they have people who care about trademarks and copyrights.
In the next firing campaign I hope those will be the sacked ones and not the people at the R&D department.
[ This Message was edited by: semo on 2011-10-19 22:18 ]
semo
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 23:25
The whole story reminds me a bit of the SonyInsider site which helped Sony a lot in the beginning and then, when Sony decided to make their own blog, things went down.
Although Sony never went directly against them with the law tools. Not the way SE is doing now.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 01:42
So, Sony Ericsson thinks the domain might have been used in "bad faith"
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2011-10-20 00:58 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 01:57
many multi-national companies, and even smaller companies, use the regulations to claim ownership of domains that they should probably own by using the "bad faith" claim or other legal reasoning or terminology such as "name jacking".

But mostly, even if they then don't use that reclaimed domain, the whole process is to protect the use of their trademarks by persons outside of their control (and yes, this sounds very much like the Apple vs everyone/everyone vs Apple issues)

this is how the domain name registries work and this Sony Ericsson case is by far not unique and happens every day, but I guess in a Sony Ericsson strong forum its going to get more notice than many other domains.

its sad for a popular blog but in this day and age, such blog owners must surely know the risk they take when they choose names for their domain.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 02:02
When the names were chosen a long time ago? Does it make it right?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi