Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Author Samsung and Google announces Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 21:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Do we really need quad core in a mobile though??
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 22:21
what a limited view you have of the world...

what we called when I got my first pc with an 8mhz 286 pc with 640k ram, was WOW!

as time went by we went though so much that even now any phone I could buy would put that pc to shame (deservedly)
Why would we think that quad core would be any kind of limit or need?

eventually quad/quinn/oct core etc will get a name such that we no longer care how many cores a processor has (it will just be a marketing term), but even then we will still expect more from whatever comes next because there is an ever increasing amount of data (video/voice/image etc) that needs to be processed to meet our everyday needs
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 22:27
I don't have a limited view of the world I just think quad core in a small device is a little over kill. A PC is different.
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 22:38
quad core and much more is coming in mobile devices... believe me... making hardware for this is relatively easily but it is largely dependant on o/s support (utilising the cores and multi threading etc efficiently requires o/s, compiler etc support), but it will happen as demand/battery and other factors allow/require

a year ago I remember many topics discussing the need for dual core but here we are now somewhat dismissive when a device is announced without that!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 23:48
Its all about progression. Think about it from your S2's point of view. If it was just a single core cpu equipped phone, it would be about the same as an Arc in terms of benchmark scores. Which is rarther mid range in the Android flagships.

Also, arent multi core cpu phones easier to stretch out longer battery life ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-05 23:48
The next generation S4 Snapdragon processors from Qualcomm will most likely have more cores than the current high end dual core S3 chipsets has. Improving CPU speed and run on two cores at different frequencies and voltages is a step up from the first S1 (max 1GHz CPU) and S2 (max 1.4 GHz) processors. The S3 allowed for larger screen sizes and resolution from 480x800 pixels and 3-4 inches to 1024x768 pixels and up to 10 inches tablets.

Dual core CPUs in the Snapdragon S3 allowed for HDMI out, Dolby surround and 1080p video processing.

S4 and other multi-core processors will be designed with a new CPU micro architecture and the power consumption for the S4 CPU will decrease with 65% and at the same time improving performance by 150%. The CPU power consumption is only a small part of the total power consumption. Display size, wireless connectivity etc are generally eating most of the battery power. The S4 will be powerful enough to run a desktop version of Windows 8!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 00:11
It's simply amazing the way this chip technology is progressing.
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 14:28
looks like this will be mine when its released, boss has decided to go for this over the S2... I'm happy with either!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 21:27

On 2011-11-05 23:48:34, laffen wrote:
The next generation S4 Snapdragon processors from Qualcomm will most likely have more cores than the current high end dual core S3 chipsets has. Improving CPU speed and run on two cores at different frequencies and voltages is a step up from the first S1 (max 1GHz CPU) and S2 (max 1.4 GHz) processors. The S3 allowed for larger screen sizes and resolution from 480x800 pixels and 3-4 inches to 1024x768 pixels and up to 10 inches tablets.

Dual core CPUs in the Snapdragon S3 allowed for HDMI out, Dolby surround and 1080p video processing.

S4 and other multi-core processors will be designed with a new CPU micro architecture and the power consumption for the S4 CPU will decrease with 65% and at the same time improving performance by 150%. The CPU power consumption is only a small part of the total power consumption. Display size, wireless connectivity etc are generally eating most of the battery power. The S4 will be powerful enough to run a desktop version of Windows 8!

OK,will try get my head around all that!! I guess when you put it like that then this technology can be good in phones. I look forward to processors providing better battery life with higher res screens.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-08 21:47
Now this is more like the specs i was expecting from the Nexus, but they didnt deliver. The quad-core HTC Edge leaks, has monster specs.

You get the feeling Samsung was holding back with the specifications on the Nexus in favour of not souring the S2's pool of success. So, roll on Q2 2012 for the S3 with the same specs as the Edge ?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-08 21:50
Yeah nice specs. Samsung will no doubt look at what HTC are planning & hopefully beat it
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-08 22:02
Im sure they've got their own chipsets already in development for this very fight coming spring next year. I cant wait.

I doubt this Edge phone will have ICS judging by the capacitive buttons under the screen, where as the S3 probably will and not have such buttons.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-08 22:08
Samsung is going to really have to deliver on the GS3 as there is alot to live up to. And though I love my GS2 there is room for improvements too.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-09 23:56
Im sure they will moreso if they use the new Tegra 3 chipset or their own new version of their chipsets. I really cannot wait for next years line up, and the battle would be all the more exciting if Apple brought out a proper new phone with the iPhone 5 ??
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-10 03:21
Yeah the next round should be blazing... But for now, this is looking sweet... I'm starting to want it more and more now...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi