Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Xperia Arc vs Iphone 4s - Camera shootout

12  Next
Author Xperia Arc vs Iphone 4s - Camera shootout
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-17 11:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't know about you, but I'm always curious to compare the camera quality on different camera phones. And since these two boast a good sensor, I've been Google-ing for photos for a while now. I finally found this article with a decent amount of pictures, and a quite good comparison if you'd ask me.

So, anyone else know where we can find good articles about comparing camera on recent handsets? Or, if you have the hardware at your disposal, you can do take your own photos to post and compare.

All the best!
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-10-17 11:23
Actually the site You posted has IMO pretty bad comparison. Photos are taken under different conditions, which causes the result to go either better or worse. The best site to compare camera phone is definitely gsmarena.com . It has practically every newer phone in database shooting at special chart under exact conditions. Here's the direct link to that http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3 . It has also video comparison if You are interested. Also check reviews for more everyday life photos, which are also compared to other phones. I'm sure they will add a special iPhone 4s vs Arc photo comparison (probably this week)
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-17 11:50
That's just it, I'm not interested in ISO charts it's the everyday photos that I like looking at. And I think those photos are taken with the default/auto settings for both phones, though some seem to have hit a different light angle indeed.

They're far from perfect, but it's a reference to start with. If you can aid with more everyday photo comparison between any of today's state of the art camera phones, please do so I'm eager to see them, maybe more people are.
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 07:50
Or maybe no one else is interested in this. I must've been wrong
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-19 13:49
GSM Arena Blog has a test like this cannot do link as am at work though
Phone?? What phone??
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 20:00
I looked for it but couldn't find it. I did find "something" there but there were no photos. Just the poster's opinion about the respective cameras. Can you help with a link though?

Thanks!
davidsic
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-20 20:10
This is a nice comparison between Xperia arc S/iPhone 4S made by a membre/administrator of a french site/forum : internet-mobile.me

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 00:02
http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]s-versus-xperia-arc/#more-3019
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-20 23:03 ]
Phone?? What phone??
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 07:30
@davidsic: yes, that's exactly what I was looking to see. Thanks! Though.. I never get one thing I've commonly meat on such reviews. Why would you review 8MP cameras and resize all photos to 0.6MP (or whatever minimal value). To be honest, other than white balance (and focusing at some cases) you can't see much of a difference. They could have thrown in the iPhone 3G or the K850 if they insisted on resizing the photos. Kind of defeats the whole purpose by resizing.

@bono: That's the link that i started the topic with. I thought you said GsmArena Blog :-s

Off topic, I don't wanna start a topic about this, though maybe we should: what's happened to the photo section of esato? I mean after the "1 voters" banning, is it just me or are photos just not getting any votes anymore? I'm not talking about my photos in particular, though I get one or two votes at best. I mean there's not been any change to the top photos either, and that's probably because photos no longer get the required 5 votes to be in the top. Have so many people just left (that would be sad) or did they just stop voting?
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-10-27 11:19
Here's one with the iPhone, iPhone 4s and Samsung GalaxyS II.
biosx
Xperia Neo Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 20:10
This was a good read. The 8mp camera shootout - 2011. Maybe you too will find it interesting.

Cheers.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 20:15
for those that don't want to trawl through the pages of yet another gsmarena link... the conclusion was:-

If we had to recommend a cameraphone, it would be the iPhone 4S. The still camera was either the best or a close second in each category we tested. Also, it stole the show when it came to video recording. It goes to show that when Apple put their hearts to it, they can quickly climb to the top (and it was a steep climb too, if you remember the cameras on the early iPhones).

In a typical Apple fashion, the 4S focused on being perfect and wouldn't care for anything less - things like 720p or lower quality setting for stills.

Even so, the things that were included are highly desirable - native HDR mode, AE/AF lock and video stabilization can certainly make a difference.

The Samsung Galaxy S II is the runner up when it comes to overall performance - its still camera and camcorder beat the others most of the time. It used to be the standard-setter for 8MP/1080p mobile cameras but after 8 long (in tech terms) months on the market, it's time to cede that title.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 20:47
Video or still image digital stabilization make little difference only optical ever does.
Phone?? What phone??
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 11:09
I'm surpised how poor Arc performs compared to iPhone 4S (I don't know how SE failed so much while using the same sensor ). Photos from iPhone are really nice, may even say the best in 8MPx phones.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 13:55
In my opinion, having a video camera without stabilization is a waste of money. It is a must for getting proper results.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi