Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business

Previous  123 ... 151617  Next
Author Sony to buy off Ericsson's shares in their joint mobile business
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 00:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
havent really used it yet.... Bought it in Germany, waiting to go Canada before I actually use it. Its a very nice phone though, design wise... Havent read too many reports on it though... See what happens after some use... Wont be back in Melb for a little while though
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2011-10-31 23:11 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 01:47
@chunkybeats you'll find most phones will become warm with use it's normal. Although if it's piping hot I'd be concerned. My Samsung GS2 gets warm.
Phone?? What phone??
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-01 03:51
How does Sony make money now? Just the PlayStation?

Sony splits TV Business into 3
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 06:49
That`s why they want to leave the joint venture with Samsung about S-LCD panels. It will be tough year for Sony I guess with a lots of restructures and reorganizations.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 09:12
I am waiting for their 2013 portfolio, I have already made my mind on my next phone- the Motorola Razr.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Detox
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 16:10
A (russian) word or two from Eldar:
http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2011/se-dead.shtml

Plus farewell then, Sony Ericsson:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/[....]1/sony_ericsson_retrospective/
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2011-11-01 22:07
Well I have to agree with Eldar - it may be a coincidence but I don`t believe it`s just that, cause 2007 was the year that Sony wins over Ericsson in internal war and from that point starts loosing ground consistently.
The biggest mistake made then was the politics "we are too innovative, so let`s stop this". Sadly it was the same time when iPhone was born and the world start to feel the need of smartphones, 'cause Apple know how to make the world believe in their innovations.

Very sad, 'cause "even Steve Jobs was impressed with P800".

krayzie_cat
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 05:29
Sony really needs to bring out something totally new to get back into the game. I think they are fully capable just that today's Sony is not even run by the Japanese but an English dude?

If you look back at Sony's history they always had some sort of industry leading game changer; like from the beginning there was the pocket sized transistor radio, then came the portable cassette recorder, Trinitron, Walkman, Handycam, Playstation, not to mention various breakthrough in mass production recording media along the way (CD, MD, 8mm Video, DAT, CCD, 3.5" Floppy, Bluray, okay I'll include Betamax lol). However by the turn of the century they became stagnated with really not much innovation, and had a tough time embracing the Internet revolution.

Sony needs a comeback just as much as Wacko Jacko did. I hope they can make it happen.
[ This Message was edited by: krayzie_cat on 2011-11-02 04:36 ]
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-02 13:10

On 2011-11-01 22:07:31, argiriano wrote:
Well I have to agree with Eldar - it may be a coincidence but I don`t believe it`s just that, cause 2007 was the year that Sony wins over Ericsson in internal war and from that point starts loosing ground consistently.
The biggest mistake made then was the politics "we are too innovative, so let`s stop this". Sadly it was the same time when iPhone was born and the world start to feel the need of smartphones, 'cause Apple know how to make the world believe in their innovations.

Very sad, 'cause "even Steve Jobs was impressed with P800".

Tell you what the single biggest mistake SE made in product development: they launched a massive cost cutting project surrounding 'perceived quality'. They basically decided their phones were too well built, lasted too long hardware wise. So they started cutting corners in terms of materials etc and one of their core brand strengths began to erode rapidly. It was a massive mistake, and the consumers rightfully started seeing innovation and quality elsewhere.
buntoo
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 09:14
What's goin' on here? [addsig]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 09:52
A nice article about the potential here.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/[....]-brand-with-a-future-in-mobile
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 12:20

On 2011-11-03 09:52:17, randomuser wrote:

Yes nice potential indeed. They can make a phone with awesome sound from their walkman line, oled screen, great camera, same processor as Vita, premium materials etc. Will they do it? I very much doubt it
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-03 14:10
Sony have been in freefall for many years and their "contribution" to SE has been just part of that. To me, the news of the buyout was just the last chapter in a gradual decline that started, pretty much, with Ericsson agreeing to go in with Sony in the first place. It was Ericsson that had the best ideas and the best technology back then, they just lacked a bit of confidence - all SE have done since is obsess over branding and gradually erode everything that was good about the original teams and vision they inherited. Just look at that P800 that Steve Jobs admired five years before the iPhone - what did SE do with that Ericsson born project over that time? Simply relegate it to the "enterprise market" and fail to take any of it forward in any significant way. It took a non-phone company (who weren't Sony) to eventually me the smartphone dream come alive.

Sony has missed its place in this history and squandered the opportunity they had with SE to be years ahead of Apple or anyone else - I can't see them doing anything more interesting under their own brand, frankly.
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2011-12-06 19:24
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_[....]_sony_by_mid2012-news-3475.php
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-12-06 20:12

On 2011-11-03 09:52:17, randomuser wrote:

Everything has "potential"... The Newton, The Zune, E.L.S.E., Windows ME, MobileMe, War of the Worlds...Siri...all GREAT "potential"...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic