Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Toshiba announces Thrive 7-inch Android 3.2 Honeycomb tablet

Author Toshiba announces Thrive 7-inch Android 3.2 Honeycomb tablet
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 12:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Toshiba today announced a 7 inch tablet running on Android Honeycomb 3.2. The Thrive 7" Tablet has similar specs as the older and larger 10 inch Thrive.
Esato News

Toshiba 7-inch Thrive Tablet

Toshiba is the first manufacture which has managed to squeeze HD resolution (1280x800 pixels) into a 7 inch display. Other tablet brands also offers 1280 x 800 display resolution, but these tablets are 8.9 inch or larger.

The Thrive 7" Tablet has a dual core processor and is running on the NVIDIA Tegra 2 platform. Google released version Android 3.2 Honeycomb operating system for tablets in July and the Thrive 7" is running on this version. We are guessing the Thrive 7" will have to compete for the same customers also having their eyes on the HTC Flyer, BlackBerry PlayBook and Samsung Galaxy Tab. Toshiba Thrive 7" does not have 3G support which might drive potential customers over to the competing tables.

Thrive 7" will be available in 16 GB and 32 GB versions, but memory can of course be expanded by inserting a memory card into the microSD card slot.

Toshiba Thrive 7" highlights

• Weight: 400 gram
  • Size: 11.93 mm thick
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • 7 inch touch display with LED backlit AutoBrite. 1280 x 800 pixel resolution
  • 5 megapixel main camera, LED light, 2 megapixel front camera
  • Stereo speakers
  • Processor: Dual core. NVIDIA Tegra 2 platform and NVIDIA GeForce graphics
  • Available in 16 and 32 GB editions
  • USB
  • Micro HDMI
  • microSD memory card slot
  • Android 3.2 Honeycomb operative system
  • Gyroscope

Toshiba 7-inch Thrive Tablet all sides

Run_dawn10
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 12:37
Toshiba will be Apple's new victim.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 13:04

On 2011-09-28 12:37:05, Run_dawn10 wrote:
Toshiba will be Apple's new victim.

Wouldn't surprise me actually what Apple are are doing right now is bordering on criminal.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 13:30
Toshiba are a decent brand but not with their phones. Unsure of their tablets. I still think the best tablet is the new Sony one
Phone?? What phone??
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 13:41

On 2011-09-28 13:30:00, Bonovox wrote:
Toshiba are a decent brand but not with their phones. Unsure of their tablets. I still think the best tablet is the new Sony one

Actually Toshiba make amazing phones just as good as all the top brands but sadly most of then are only for the Japanese market only.I agree the new Sony tablet is amazing and even better than the iPad in some ways.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 13:58
Maybe but the last Toshiba Windows device released on Orange was awful.
Phone?? What phone??
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 14:09
Not maybe Definitely Toshiba Japan phones are way superior in terms of their specs,technology and overall quality Google Toshiba Mobile Japan and you will see why however I agree that that we get pretty poor devices from them not sure why?Toshiba also make and supply components to Apple for the iPhone.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 20:12
Toshiba have taken a very different approach to tablets than Apple have.
This isn't thin at all... although it is very practical and robust. It has an easily replaceable battery along with ports you would normally find on a laptop, such as USB 2.0 and HDMI

I would rather go for something like the Samsung Talaxy Tab, which is much more similiar to the iPad in terms of it's form factor (light, very thin). I don't think Apple will be concerned enough about this Toshiba to bother sueing, because it's so much different to the iPad that it won't compete for the same market share imo, this has different consumer market.
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-09-28 20:54

On 2011-09-28 20:12:11, mriley wrote:
I don't think Apple will be concerned enough about this Toshiba to bother sueing

That's hopefully not the way things work. Apple does not held patents for every tech invention created even if it seems like it these days.
Toshiba holds several DVD patents, but you don't see them suing Apple for having DVD players in the Mac Pros. Most companies pay the license fee when using patents held by others.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi