Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Will Intel abandon MeeGo?

Author Will Intel abandon MeeGo?
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-09-02 12:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Intel is one of the forces behind the open source MeeGo software platform. Rumors has it that the company are going to leave the Linux based mobile OS project
Esato News

Intel leaving MeeGo

The usually well informed site DigiTimes today reported that Intel plans to temporarily discontinue development of its MeeGo OS. We know that Nokia, one of the other initiative partners, will focus on Windows Phones from now on. The reason behind Intels decision is the lack of other handset and tablet makers. Intel will focus on hardware production for Android or Windows Phone.

MeeGo was first announced in 2010 at the Mobile World Congress and still has a group of supporters such as Acer, Asus, Gameloft, AMD, Cisco, Fujitsu. The list of new companies supporting MeeGo has not been updated since February which could be an indication of falling interest for the project.

Too sad really. We earlier had the chance to take a look at the Nokia N9, and we really liked both the Nokia hardware and the MeeGo operating system.

source

Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-09-02 15:01
I really feel for Intel. Nokia was the big fish among all those affiliates and losing them simply means losing practically the whole market. But, such is business- things sometimes don't workout.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-09-02 17:25
Although im a huge fan of Android i realy liked Maemo5 in the N900 and MeeGo in the N9 looks amazing so i was sad to read this.

LUCKILY it was all speculation, Intel have come out and announced that they remain committed to Meego: http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]ling-the-plug-on-MeeGo_id21797 PHEW!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-09-02 18:10
Great! I prefer Meego to all others but sadly it looks like an OS going nowhere after Nokia decided Windows is best for them.

If Intel can get big names in there then maybe something could come of it. I just don't have hope for this OS.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-09-03 00:40
Intel will of course deny such rumors until the minute they actually send out the press release. The statement to Cnet was not very comforting.

"We remain committed to MeeGo and open source, and will continue to work with the community to help develop and meet the needs of customers and end user"

They do not say how long this commitment will last. Months or Years?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-139[....]ntel-says-its-still-committed/
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi