Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Sony Ericsson introduces 3D functionality and swipe text input to existing Xperia smartphones

12  Next
Author Sony Ericsson introduces 3D functionality and swipe text input to existing Xperia smartphones
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 11:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson today announced that they will have another OS update ready for Xperia smartphones in October. The update adds swipe text input, 3D sweep panorama functionality and screen capture.
Esato News

Xperia neo V, Xperia Active, Xperia Mini, Xperia Ray, Xperia Mini Pro 

Sony Ericsson continues to release new updates for their existing Android smartphones. X10, the first Xperia phone was first sold with Android version 1.6 and owners of this device was told there would be no OS available in the future. Sony Ericsson consumers demanded more, and after a long time Sony Ericsson listened turned around and started to offer Android 2.1 and later 2.3 Gingerbread to this device as well. Recent communication from the company has said that OS updates will be an important factor for the company. Today they have proved this by announcing another update for older Xperia Android handsets.

In October Android 2.3.4 will be available for download to Xperia smartphones. Text input using swipe is one of the new features we are looking forward to. We tested this during Mobile World Congress in February but haven't heard anything more about this until now.

The update highlights are

• Android updated to version 2.3.4 which includes Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing camera
  • Updated Facebook inside Xperia functionality for enhanced like, share and discover abilities
  • Xperia smartphones introducing world's first 3D sweep panorama functionality powered by Sony
  • The software upgrade enables consumers to turn their Xperia smartphone into a mini-mobile PC by connecting USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard or game controller) to Sony Ericsson LiveDock multimedia station. Connect the smartphone to a TV via HDMI to get a big screen experience
  • Swipe text input -  text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next
  • Screen capture - allows the user to share a screen grab from anywhere in the phone

The 3D feature must be based on software only as none of the Xperias have two lenses. We are not sure how this will work but the technology for making 3D view using one lens is not new. Sharp AQUOS for the Japanese market already have software for making 3D. Sony Ericsson has adopted this technology from the mother company Sony which could have using similar technique as Sharp have used.

Creating 3D images using one lens

Does this new OS update give you hope for Sony Ericsson's future?

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 11:47
Cool this will be ace. I love the Sweep Panorama in my Sony camera. I hope more and more Sony features start coming to SE phones
Phone?? What phone??
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-25 11:53
Swype, 3D and panorama? FINALLY! seems to be beefing up their software team! now... if only the xperia ray was already available in my country...
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 11:54
Updates sound great, I already use the swype keyboard and its very fast and fun to use on my arc.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 12:00
Just did some research the 3D functionality they're talking about is this feature

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/cyb[....]ures/article/3d-sweep-panorama

but as I understand, it only works when played back on a 3d tv? so you wont actually notice the difference on the screen?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-25 12:27
adsada, it's a free update and a new feature. I'm sure they did it to help boost sales of their 3D TVs.

I never liked 3D glasses. I'm skipping over all 3D TVs until a decent glasses-free model comes out. Current ones aren't as clear yet.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 13:09
This is brilliant news.

They are making a lot of people happy with these updates, there is always something to look forward to. Video chat with google Talk is a big one as this will work from laptop > mobile and mobile > mobile
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 14:22
You can still do a cool panorama though.
Phone?? What phone??
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 14:26

On 2011-08-25 14:22:00, Bonovox wrote:
You can still do a cool panorama though.

this will be good news....2D panorama ... for 3D panorama....I don't care since I didn't own a 3D TV.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 14:40
Just read on GSMArena about the new Neo V coming too
Phone?? What phone??
sambouka
Ericsson T39
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-25 16:11
SE's marketing is as bad as marketing can be: non-existent.

You hide between 10 new announcements (one of which is a stupid/necessary downgrade of Neo),
that you have for the first time ever fit into a mobile phone the ability to take 3D panorama pictures:

Xperia smartphones introducing world's first 3D sweep panorama

And what do medias retain logically as headlines for their articles:
New Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V
Nobody reads the article, it's not a dual core Android phone...

Decent marketing people would have titled:
For the first time in mobile history, SE introduces with Xperia smartphones the world's first 3D sweep picture panorama !
gh680-gh628-t19-t28-t39-t200-z200-v800-w810i-w900i-p910i-w850i-z610-z310i-m600-w880i-w910i-g900-c902-w705-g705-x1-w995-aino-satio-x10-vivaz-x10mini-play-arc-neo-xperias-xperiaion-xperiago-z-zultra-z1compact-z3-z3compact-z5premium-xa1ultra-xz2-xz3-xperia1
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 18:42
+1

Exactly! They should shout about it more. I hate the way SE markets itself - it's far too soft and fluffy.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 19:44
Yeah, they're really stupid at marketing. Like how they could've made a buzz about X10 camera as it was the best of all the androids in its class, and how they mentioned nothing about DSP that was actually onboard the P990. Idiots really as they prefer to shout about shake control and how their phones fit into the lifestyle bill which no one cares about.

On topic though, so does this mean X10 is included in the new update plan? I didn't quite get that bit
[ This Message was edited by: mode on 2011-08-25 18:47 ]
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 20:23
I know they try and position themselves as a 'lifestyle brand' but the average man in the street wouldn't know what this is?

I don't. What is one and what are the other lifestyle brands? They need to shout about what their phones can actually do - and loudly.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 21:46
Hi, we're sony ericsson. We've brought out this new phone x, feel free to buy it if you want, no pressure though, its an alright phone it has android.

I sort of agree, they are too weak, though I think the X10 did sell so well last year because of the 8MP camera. You don't need to shout to see that because it stands out in itself when comparing phones
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi