Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman™ delivers unique social music experience for smartphones

Author Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman™ delivers unique social music experience for smartphones
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 22:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman [official tech video]

http://youtu.be/7Z5S6s5AdAY
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 23:28

On 2011-08-22 21:30:16, lolstebbo wrote:

On 2011-08-22 20:32:35, Tsepz_GP wrote:
SE must have struck quite a deal with Qualcomm as most other manufacturers use that chip in their mid ends not low ends.

They probably bought it in massive bulk since all the 2011 Xperias so far use it. If this is a signal of what's to come in the future, just imagine if SE used dual-core across the entire line.

Indeed, they would thee most powerful line of phones in the industry.
Funny enough, they already have a very powerful portfolio this year, all they need is that 'halo' device with dual-core CPU, 4.3inch display and 12mp camera.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 23:32
So,with Walkman still on the scene I do hope SE release a dedicated top of the range Android/Cyber-shot!! A high quality top end Android with Cyber-shot with 8 or 12 megs with Xenon flash. Am I asking too much??
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 23:43
Nope, you're not, you asking for too little, i want:
4.5" 1280x720 LED display
12MP with Xenon, 1080P video
Similar design to Arc at the front and X10 at the back
1700mAh batt
Android4.x
16GB built-in mem
1GB RAM
Dual-core CPU
and good build quality.

This is how most top end Androids are going to be from late this year (except the xenon flash cam) and IMO SE should make one with Xenon Flash, make it a top end Xperia focussed on imaging, like the Satio was in their Symbian line.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 23:49
Jeez why not the full hog & ask for a battery of 1,960mAh like the Motorola Atrix Where are the LED or OLED displays by
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 23:49

On 2011-08-22 23:43:59, Tsepz_GP wrote:
1700mAh batt
Android4.x
16GB built-in mem
1GB RAM
Dual-core CPU
and good build quality.

This is how most top end Androids are going to be from late this year (except the xenon flash cam) and IMO SE should make one with Xenon Flash, make it a top end Xperia focussed on imaging, like the Satio was in their Symbian line.

+1 though i like the arc's back and also if this were to happen it would not have the 3 silver hardware buttons but the new SE design of 2 softkeys and a half moon shaped home button. Why not skip to 16MP, just to make it stand out, they have the technology!

Would be ONE AWESOME SMARTPHONE
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 01:44
Liking this phone, but two drawbacks though:

Fixed corner icons on main screen [Not customisable like minis]
No Noise Shield like on other Xperias.
T230 > W300 > W890 > W705 > Live > Xperia T > Xperia Z2a > Xperia X > Xperia XZ2
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 01:58
Are they fixed??
Phone?? What phone??
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 02:12
On Live specs page, they say this, but in se-first's hands-on video, you can clearly see one of the corner shortcuts has three icons in it, so maybe it is possible that it's customisable up to 16 shortcuts on main screen.
T230 > W300 > W890 > W705 > Live > Xperia T > Xperia Z2a > Xperia X > Xperia XZ2
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 02:16

On 2011-08-22 23:43:59, Tsepz_GP wrote:
1700mAh batt
Android4.x
16GB built-in mem
1GB RAM
Dual-core CPU
and good build quality.

May seem like a wishlist gone too far but it's exactly what SE needs to jolt the Walkman brand back to life. Walkmans have always been a 2nd tier product in their portfolio and having one high end device will not only entice us but also iPhans and non-fans alike. Quote some stupid DSP crap that all of us know will sell. Then they can produce other crappy low-end Walkmans once they have a top-notch one to anchor its image. They need a device that would be the premium face of Walkman or otherwise, it'll stay stagnant with such specifications which only Walkman lovers would go for. They need to expand, not simply maintain their market base. Sheesh, haven't they learned already by now?

That said, if the camera performance is on par or better than X10, I'd go for it for my next phone as I'm totally sold by the design. The white looks divine
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-08-23 04:28
Considering the wishlist... I wonder if anyone would actually be willing to pay US$800 and up for a phone like that. Or does the wishlist need the standard "And it must be under $300" to complete it?

I think is fragmenting itself too much, considering they don't really have unlimited budgets for product support.

Apple has ONE phone. This makes product support and repair so easy. Parts and inventory become cheaper too.

Right now has to stock about 8 different LCD screens for Android models alone. How inefficient is that?

They really need to tighten up their market segment... are they a cheap brand? A toy brand? A music phone? A camera company? An executive's choice? Or a techie's choice?

I think they made a mistake with the Play and Pro. They should've combined both into a single model with an optional accessory to swap out the keyboard with the PS controller... they could have even called it the Work + Play... hahahahaha

Same goes for the Mini and Mini Pro. An interchangeable back panel that adds or removes the keyboard would've cut dev & parts costs. And combined the marketshare of both.

could even develop a split "Pro kit" for each base model. Have only 3 models like, Mini, Ray, and Arc... each with a Work Kit, or Play Kit. This gives the consumer, essentially 3 phones in one. Buy the base model and expand it the way you want.
idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 06:15
This model wil affect the sales of xperia mini, since mini doesnt have front camera and lil smaller size screen, has single speaker, than live. They could've released this phone including mini's features by skipping mini.. People never look for 0.2" screen difference.
idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 06:23

On 2011-08-23 01:44:50, FMW300i wrote:
Liking this phone, but two drawbacks though:

Fixed corner icons on main screen [Not customisable like minis]
No Noise Shield like on other Xperias.

Any android phone can be very well Customized with different home applications, as android phone this will not be an exception.. How you say that its not customisable like mini???
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 09:07

On 2011-08-23 04:28:30, jplacson wrote:
I think is fragmenting itself too much, considering they don't really have unlimited budgets for product support.

Apple has ONE phone. This makes product support and repair so easy. Parts and inventory become cheaper too.

Right now has to stock about 8 different LCD screens for Android models alone. How inefficient is that?

They really need to tighten up their market segment... are they a cheap brand? A toy brand? A music phone? A camera company? An executive's choice? Or a techie's choice?

I think they made a mistake with the Play and Pro. They should've combined both into a single model with an optional accessory to swap out the keyboard with the PS controller... they could have even called it the Work + Play... hahahahaha

Same goes for the Mini and Mini Pro. An interchangeable back panel that adds or removes the keyboard would've cut dev & parts costs. And combined the marketshare of both.

1. If you look at the specs for SE's 2011 models versus HTC's and Samsung's and everyone else's, Sony is the least fragmented. The internals are pretty much the same across the board, just in different sized and configured packaging. This helps with parts costs, especially compared to other Android manufacturers. Stocking multiple screen sizes for different models is probably cheaper than stocking a massive variety of chipsets in addition to multiple screen sizes.

2. This builds more on my first point, but by repackaging the same architecture, ends up with a lineup of general devices physically designed for different markets. I think they're trying to position themselves as a lifestyle brand instead of a "try to please every kind of consumer" brand. Each model has some kind of general broad appeal, but the physical design helps target a more specific audience without being too limiting in demographic, the PLAY being an exception.

3. Swap-out keyboard? I can't imagine that being fun to engineer or program for since the software would have to be tailored to accomodate two sets of input instead of just one or the other.

4. Interchangeable back panel? Unless you're referring to something similar to iPhone keyboard cases, do you have any idea how to engineer something like that? It would actually increase development and parts costs, if anything.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 09:30
Bono
that would push the price way up.
Doesnt the Arc have a LED backlit display?

adsada
Indeed, it would set them apart, they are good at Cameras and design, they need to show it!
mode
Exactly, SE need something very unique that nobody else has or has mentioned in their ad campaign, HTC have SenseUI, Samsung and LG have their displays and under the hood hardware, and Motorola have the whole "OG Droid" thing in the US and those huge batteries, SE dont have much, and what they do have they dont do enough with.

jplacson
The wishlist consists of features that are mostly going to become standard with the upcoming high end Ice Cream Sandwich running Androids, i'd be prepared to pay the $800 price tag, thats howtmuch the X10 was here when i got it, SE need atleast one super geek device as in the current state of the industry, if you please geeks soon the masses follow, just look at HTC and Samsung, thats exactly what they do and they are the most successful Android manufacturers, Microsoft makes more out of their royalties income from HTC's droids than they do from all their WP7 devices put together.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi