Previous  123 ... 525354 ... 585960  Next
Author Xperia ray Official Thread
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-01 22:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-05-01 19:11:04, puestadelsol wrote:
I've got an Xperia Ray a week ago. I have already known that there are many unusual things with Android phones but when you start using it you notice it much heavier.

My main problem is the high resolution screen and the high data usage what it genereates. I always turn off data traffic when I don't use browsing with the phone. I have a 500 MB data plan, and with my C901 was just enough. I even haven't turned on my notebook -which is nearly dying- for days to use the internet. I watched youtube videos browsed facebook, esato, and some other stuff too on my phone. In the case of Ray the use of youtube bothers me mostly. Everybody is concerned about why is limited the video quality, why it isn't higher. My case is just the opposite. I used to the low quality (about 176x220 (?) resolution and lower quality audio) videos with C901, but with that quality I could wath quite a big quantity (rougly half an hour average daily).
In tha case of Ray even if I disable HQ at the Youtube app, or at m.youtube.com, a 3-4 minute video consumes 5-8 MB (and if I divide 500 MB with 30-31, 16 MB is available for me daily), and that is too much for me.
So, my question is: How is it possible to watch videos with the Lowest quality, or how could you force that?
And my other question is that an Xperia mini, or Live with Walkman plays lower resolition videos with lower quality because of their lower resolutioan screen, or in those cases is this quality available also? If those phones play lower quality videos in youtube, and so, require less data traffic, I can regret that I haven't chose one of those phones.

Basically you have to accept that we live in high quality and high data traffic times.
Better prepare yourself and accept it or you'll live in the world of endless misery.

Xperia Mini may have lower res screen but it's still miles ahead of C901.
You'll still use alot of data if you want watch alot of YouTube.

Besides that, you're the only person I know complaining about good quality lol.
If you buy a SMARTPHONE you decide to use high end features.
Increase your data plan... Or buy Nokia C01.
a w a r e
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-01 22:42
If you live in UK either use Three network whom have truly unlimted data. Or T Mobile Full Monty data plan which is also truly unlimited
Phone?? What phone??
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-02 00:03
If I would have unlimited data plan I would also want the highest possible quality. But I have this 500 MB data plan, and I don't want to increase that for now. In the worst situation I'll use my C901 for browsing.
But I don't want to accept this situation, because for youtube costs nothing to give the possibility of flexible settings. Just like in the case of the original web interface, where you can choose also the 240x320 resolution with lower quality audio. But as I noticed, now the mobile version for Ray plays at the 360 resolution setting of computer version with HQ disabled.
So please if somebody knows a solution for this (how to watch lower quality videos with youtube mobile), give me an answer.
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-05-02 21:24
I'm going to update to ICS.
Do you have any comments before I do it
Forever !!!
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 01:14

On 2012-05-02 21:24:28, OffLineR wrote:
I'm going to update to ICS.
Do you have any comments before I do it

Yeah, give it some time to stablize and whatnot (a day or two). After that, the speed and battery drain will be at a normal rate.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-03 02:51

On 2012-04-24 17:12:14, xelibry wrote:
Hi, I have overheating with my Ray after upgrading to ICS and It's seems battery drainage . Has anyone with similar problems?

Just updated to ICS a few days ago... overheating is mainly due to a 3rd party app... usually when an app hangs and stays stuck online. Try downloading a task manager to manually kill idle apps.

ICS has given me better battery life over GB, 3G Data left on.

ICS gives me worse battery life when an app hangs. Update all your apps... or better yet, do a clean up. There are a lot of new features on ICS that can take the place of apps/widgets. Get rid of unnecessary apps that may be conflicting with new ICS features. Ad-supported apps also connect to the internet in the background, so watch out for these battery hogs.

I'm quite happy with the ICS update, there are still a few bugs here and there, but over-all I'm happier with it than GB. It does perform slower, but it has been more stable. Messaging is almost good enough that I can ditch Handcent SMS. And Addressbook is way better than before. Home screen is still slower than Go Launcher.

I'm still observing, but I will be blogging about the update soon enough.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-03 08:16

On 2012-04-25 02:28:28, bronxdude wrote:
i am experiencing battery drain issue.

how do you turn off animations?

Hey bronxdude, it's hidden from the general public but if you want to turn off the menu animations, go to Settings, then scroll down to Developer Options. Then scroll all the way down, you'll see Window and Transition Animation Scale. You can switch them off from here. As well as limit background processes, etc...
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 09:12
@lolstebbo
That two days are important.
All updates were the same. It took some time to phone to settle.
Probably apps updating DB or something for a while.

@jplacson
I had issues with Go Launcher. I suppose they have fixed that.
Have it a go.
Forever !!!
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 10:14
I read a lot about how could I watch lower quality videos on my phone on youtube. As I understanded the acces to rtsp streaming from m.youtube.com, would play the quality I used to with the C901, but I couldn't found any possible solution for this.
Recently I've read that if I would use the Youtube application version from Eclair, that would play lower quality videos too. I've downloaded one version of that application, but I can't install it, because it's preinstalled a more recent version on my Ray. I don't know how could I uninstall it. And even if I uninstall it, will that damage the phone in any way? I don't want in the end that none of the Youtube application versions to work.
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 11:03
I always turn off the HQ. But it is still "too" High quality, I think with HQ disabled it is still the equivalent of the "360" setting of web version. A 3 minute clip consumes 5-8 MB (of my 500 MB/month data plan), which is more then 5x more than what my C901 consumed ( With my C901 sometimes I was watching for hours youtube videos (half an hour daily average).
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-03 12:12
@puestadelsol

So why the hell do you use the smartphone?
Stay with your C901 and be happy.
But what you ask for is idiotic I'd say.
Why would anybody want to watch YouTube for hours with lowest, pixelated quality
on the amazing screen lol.

If you have a problem, use WiFi or just increase the data plan.
You'll need it ANYWAY with browser and Play apps updates.

This is a smartphone, thing are as they are, accept it instead of looking for nonsense.
a w a r e
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-05-03 12:30

On 2012-05-03 11:03:12, puestadelsol wrote:
I always turn off the HQ. But it is still "too" High quality, I think with HQ disabled it is still the equivalent of the "360" setting of web version. A 3 minute clip consumes 5-8 MB (of my 500 MB/month data plan), which is more then 5x more than what my C901 consumed ( With my C901 sometimes I was watching for hours youtube videos (half an hour daily average).

C901 has a minimal screen res as for today's standards. It's a very old phone.
Ray has a very high one.
How hard is it to understand it??!!
a w a r e
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 12:36
Sometimes I'm just listening music on youtube, and for that I don't need the highest quality. I can't understand why isn't normal to be available the setting for lower quility too, for this kind of idiot persons like me.
Anyway, at my operator is available also 1Gb data plan for mobile, wich also can be easily consumed with these high quality videos, and an option that for 1 euro/day you can use 100 Mb daily, that would be too much for me.
puestadelsol
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 12:47

On 2012-05-03 12:30:54, doministry wrote:

On 2012-05-03 11:03:12, puestadelsol wrote:

C901 has a minimal screen res as for today's standards. It's a very old phone.
Ray has a very high one.
How hard is it to understand it??!!

I understand it, and I wouldn't even need this kind of high resolution. I see that it's crisp. But when I watch a video on my sister's X8 and on my Ray I can see the difference, but in data usage the difference is more obviuos than what on the screen you see. In my country isn't available unlimited data plan and it I think it will remain so for the foreseeable future. In some coutries you don't have even 3G in every location, in this case you advice them not to buy a Ray, or if they want to use youtube to remain with their old phones?
annafee
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-03 13:03
Download App2SD from the google Play store. Open it and on the phone section go and uninstall youtube then try to install the older version of eclair. Hopes this works for you...cheers
EDIT: Out of curiosity where do you live??
[ This Message was edited by: annafee on 2012-05-03 12:08 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 525354 ... 585960  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic