Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Introducing the Nokia N9: all it takes is a swipe!

123  Next
Author Introducing the Nokia N9: all it takes is a swipe!
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 05:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
SINGAPORE – At the Nokia Connection event in Singapore today, Nokia introduced the Nokia N9, the first-ever pure touch smartphone that is all about making things simpler. Nokia N9 focuses on the most important things that people do: use apps, get notifications and switch between different activities. Navigating the UI is done with a simple gesture, a swipe of a finger. Let’s have a closer look at what the Nokia N9 is bringing to the game.

SWIPE
The team behind the MeeGo-based Nokia N9 brought together elements of industrial design, software development and user interface advancements, as well as a developer platform to create a better way to use a phone. All that’s needed to use the Nokia N9 is a simple gesture, a swipe of the finger. It is an intuitive way to use all the different features and functions. Whenever you are in an application, you just swipe from the edge of the screen to go back home.

UNIBODY DESIGN
The Nokia N9 has a beautiful one-piece, unibody design where the hardware and software fit together seamlessly. The large, 3.9 inch curved glass AMOLED display lets the applications shine and take full benefit of the user interface. Thanks to the innovative laminated display technology, it looks like applications are literally floating on top of the screen. The body of the Nokia N9 is made from the best in polycarbonate material engineering today, enabling superior antenna performance over most other competitors’ smartphones. This means better reception, better voice quality and fewer dropped calls. The Nokia N9 comes in three colours: black, cyan and magenta and with large storage capacities of 16GB and 64GB on the two variants to be made available.

NO BUTTONS
The Nokia N9 is the world’s first pure touch screen phone without any front-facing buttons at all. You unlock the phone by just double-tapping the screen.

THREE HOME VIEWS
The user interface in Nokia N9 is designed around the things people typically use the most. This is why there are three recognizable home views arranged in a carousel: 1) Applications for launching and organizing your apps. 2) Events for social networking feeds and notifications for calls, texts, calendar events, etc. 3) Open applications for switching between all live apps you have used recently. You can pinch and zoom the screen to see either four or nine open app icons. In fact, the Nokia N9 delivers the best multitasking experience on any phone!

POWERFUL CAMERA
The 8MP auto focus camera with Carl Zeiss optics, dual LED flash and super wide 28mm lens works faster from start to capture than any other manufacturer’s smartphone camera in the market. HD video and true 16:9 resolution photos are supported. You can share your photos via MMS, email, NFC and many online services including Flickr and Facebook.

FAST WEB BROWSER
The fast web browser is built on the latest Webkit 2 technology. Even while loading a web page, the screen remains responsive. You can have several browser windows open in the open applications view and switching between them is, again, fast and easy. Favourite websites are shown as visual thumbnails, supported by a full browsing history. Wide HTML5 support offers access to rich web applications and fast video playback.

LATEST MAPS
The Nokia N9 has the latest Nokia Maps with free, voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation for walking and driving. There is also a dedicated Drive app for in-car navigation, which lets you start navigating to your destination instantly after entering your destination. Public transport routing in 85 cities means you can find the quickest route on foot or by tram, metro or train. You can also discover nearby places with cafés, shops, hotels and more, all marked along the way.

DOLBY SOUND
Dolby Headphone and Dolby Digital Plus support on the Nokia N9 turns regular stereo audio into personal surround sound on any headphones – first on any mobile phone.

NFC-ENABLED
Pairing between NFC-enabled accessories is easier than ever before – you do Bluetooth pairing only once and after that you can connect to them just by touching. You can also share content like photos or business cards via NFC.

The things that make the Nokia N9 unique – the industrial design, developments in software and user interface, and the ease of developer experience with Qt – will live on in a variety of ways in Nokia. You can go and experience the Nokia N9 for yourself at swipe.nokia.com. The site is full of interactive videos that show how the product works in real life – it is the second best thing to actually having the product in your hand! The Nokia N9 will be in stores later this year, with availability and local pricing to be announced closer to the sales start date.

Source
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
nirave
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-21 06:10
Full Specs List: Nokia N9 Full Specs List

Press Shots: Nokia announce N9 Smartphone

Video of Swipe: Video - Nokia N9 - The Big Introduction - Swipe with Nokia's Beautiful Smartphone

Follow on twitter: @nirave
Mobile Industry Journalist & Founder of UK Mobile Review and MEA Mobile Review
Follow on twitter [url=h
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 06:33
Nice try from Nokia but i already spotted a few problems with this firstly it lacks HDMI,(even the N8 has HDMI wtf?) No flash support,just 1 Ghz processor,no gyroscope,no microsd slot and battery isn't replaceable either.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 12:29
Exactly. I thought this phones was going to have higher specs than N8.
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-21 14:54
Well, this looks like a nice phone besides the absence of memory card slot or flash. If there's tons of apps, It will succeed.
But anyways, I though the meego project was closed and that Nokia will use all their effort on the Windows Phone platform. Clearly there are two streams in Nokia: one with Elop and the other one supporting more conservative projects.
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 15:17
N9 is more focused to demonstrate its new UI. It's clearly seen with this phone. N8 was more "look at my hardware" than its software.

Honestly, I thought Nokia was bringing a new phone which surpassed the N8 hardware-wise just to compete with other manufacturers' Android line-up. Or this is just an attempt to see how will it be to have a buttonless phone?
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 15:49
What's meego like for Apps anyway i know nothing about them?Just having a nice flash device just enough these days your Apps eco system determines your success or failure and the N9 has already failed if it doesn't have that.

HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 16:30
Whatever you say, I think I'm gonna jump into this bandwagon very soon after my arc later this year

Rome did not build in one day, so it same as Meego ecosystem as well!
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-21 17:25
Very sexy very nice specs too. Why are people moaning?? For most 8 megs is enough on a mobile and I think Nokia did not wish to over shadow the N8 as its still the best camera so far on a phone imo and it will soon have Symbian Anna update. So maybe that is why they are not releasing another 12 meg phone yet. Also its Nokia with a gig of ram and 1 gig processor and higher res screen stop moaning man what more do you want?? I for one never bother using HDMI from my phone to tv. Who cares?? This also has the Nokia premium build too. I love it but want a black one them colours are too garish
Phone?? What phone??
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 13:17
Promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54llrCd4hps
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 02:02
I can't do a link right now as I am on my mobile. But if you tap into You Tube Nokia N9 a few new videos pop up. The best one is Tech65 showing eleven minutes of this device. It looks fantastic in use and such a smooth performance cannot believe its a Nokia!!
Phone?? What phone??
jsrjr_gua_br
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 07:53
Carl Zeiss Wide Angle 28 mm Large Opening Focal (2.2 mm), Dual Image Stabilization, Dual Led Flash (3RD Generation), Major Image Sensor Integrated With a Cameraphone 8 MP, Video Recording HD With Stereo Audio, 3.9-Inch AMOLED Display Technology With Gorilla Glass Polarizer and Anti Reflection, 1 GB RAM, 1 GHz CPU Speed, Meego OS 1.2 and More ! Congratulations Nokia! He's All That! Note Zero Esato Forum For Journalistic and Total Bias Envy of Technological Advance That This Device Represents!

PS: Do Not Put Out This Forum That The Best Solution Is The Night Pictures In New Xperia Line, For the N9 With Its Innovative Focal Aperture (2.2 mm) Proved That Every Thing Before It Was Pure Marketing !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 13:14
Yes indeed. This proves Nokia can make it good. And their up coming Windows devices should be top too. What is the battery capacity of this device??
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 20:02
Apparently according to GSM Arena you can run Android apps on this device And here is a preview with video
www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-review-610.php
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 22:48
I like the design Not sure about Meego and its potential. It is a tough market to enter
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi