Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy S II discussion

Previous  123 ... 192021 ... 979899  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S II discussion
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-08-21 17:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Wouldnt be in a beautiful little place in the Caribbean by any chance would it?
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-21 19:22
Lol! Hope you enjoy it. I am waiting to see how well it sells in the US. Samsung has made a beautiful piece of kit there. They just need a nice new design that stands out.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-21 21:42
Carphone Warehouse now taking pre orders of the new white Galaxy s 2
Phone?? What phone??
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-22 22:09
Swapped my Arc for the Galaxy S2 for a week, here's my opinion on it and why i'm going back to the Arc.

1. Screen - Yes, the Galaxy's screen is amazingly good, I turned off the vibrant setting and it really looked stunning, but... it only looks great on full or high brightness. A lot of the time the screen was on auto brightness, and when it's dimmed it doesn't look that great. Yes, the blacks really stand out the colours are great, but ultimately it's not all it's cracked up to be. The resolution was a bit disappointing coming from the Arc. Yes, it's only slightly lower than the Arc, but the Arc's screen seems less blocky close up and text is better rendered.

2. Camera - Even without a physical camera shutter the camera is great, better than the Arc. Close up shows loads of detail and the colour cast is less saturated and harsh compared to the Arc. Exposure is also handled better. Detail is also better. Having said this, I think the real issue with the Arc is not it's sensor (the SGS2 sensor looks smaller), it's the post-processing and the high compression and noise filter SE have put on the Arc. It's a shame because I bet if tweaked, you could get images as good as the SGS2 from the Arc.

3. Speed - hands down the best aspect of this phone. It's amazingly fluid with no lag at all. Everything is effortless; backing out of menus, connecting to the internet, using apps, very, very slick. The Arc is by no means a slouch, but the Galaxy is in a different league.

4. Touch-Wiz - I places it's really nice. The skinning of the menus is really nice, and I like how you can create folders (aka iPhone) - SE take note. Some really handy apps added as standard (notes, file manager, task manager), however it places it's a little annoying; the keyboard was not great - too spaced out and it seemed odd having the comma in a sub keyboard as opposed to the main one considering comma is frequently used key. The lack of a decent stock power control widget was a bit of a pain, everything has to be controlled via the pull down menu which only shows basic commands, yes there is another power control widget but irritating things like not having flight mode on it was annoying.

5. Battery - Didn't seem that much better than the Arc. Granted the new Arc firmware has decreased battery life, but it would say it was no better than the Arc despite having a larger battery.

6. Design - this is were I felt the phone really let itself down. Material wise it feels cheap. Yes, the front is not too bad, in fact the coating on the screen is excellent (compared to the finger magnet Arc) as well as the Gorilla glass which is very hard wearing (again, SE take note). The back however is horrid - nasty cheap plastic and the sides are just as bad. The Arc's design, although not a million miles better just feels better built and nicer to look at with the metal banding. I also found it wasn't great to hold (and this was probably the main reason it's going) - it's too wide and feels like a slab in your hand, i struggled to type on handed on it without getting an ache in my thumb because of it's width. Phones should be long and thin, that's good ergonomics (iPhone, Arc, etc), and even though the Galaxy is only a fraction wider than the Arc it really isn't great to hold. Maybe it was me .

So there it is - back to the Arc. Yes, it's slower, doesn't have as good a camera (if since started tweaking the photos on iPhoto and I'm getting nicer results - just a slight increase in the levels) and it's as future proof but it works for me. Not having the green LED light was a bit of a pain (very useful) as I had to constantly activate the Galaxy to see for missed calls, etc. The Arc may be old hat now, but having the SGS2 makes me realise that the Arc is a great phone, it's leaps and bounds on from the X10 and really has a better screen than many people think it has, even in low light. It's SE's quirkiness, like the camera shutter button and the LED notification light that make SE different.

Don't get my wrong, the Galaxy is a great phone, but it's not for me.

skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 00:06
I have always stated that the body design of the SGSII is not great and they should get someone going on body designs. Apple stands out with their designs especially the iP4. Samsung needs to take note of that.

Other than that the SGSII should have been upped to "at least" 540x960 screen resolution.

That said, I am for it though.
iPad Air 16GB
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 01:11

On 2011-08-23 00:14:05, Bonovox wrote:
But again if they made it out of metal it would bump up the price

The price and the weight. But they do need a sexier design to go with that fabulous software, screen and speed.
iPad Air 16GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-23 21:50
I found the Galaxy S 2 body TOO light. But again if they made it out of metal it would bump up the price

I much prefer something more weighty but obviously not brick like
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-24 02:16
Honourable members of Esato, is the SGSII still coming out in a 32GB version? Have anyone seen one?
iPad Air 16GB
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 02:07
Yeah, agree with the body comments and thats why today a SGP Neo Hybrid case arrived in Soul Black at work... Not sure how protective it would be but it looks fantastic, even in the packaging...

But...

No S2... MD changed his mind yesterday and changed the order, its now 2 Bold 9900's coming Friday.. BB's for all...

Words cannot convey how I am feeling... And neither can smileys... Not good, not good at all...

skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-08-25 02:37
Man I am sending you two airline tickets, a couple of aspirins and a picture of the SGSII to help you recover. Sorry pal.
iPad Air 16GB
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-08-27 20:22

On 2011-08-25 02:37:55, skblakee wrote:
Man I am sending you two airline tickets, a couple of aspirins and a picture of the SGSII to help you recover. Sorry pal.

I like the sound of the airline tickets man! Haven't had a holiday for nearly three years now due to the business... I'm posting this from my 9900... Yes, its by far and away the best BB RIM have ever made... But OS7 is the same old crap as before, this time its had a fresh lick of paint though...

Maybe I can wait until the Nexus Prime is released and buy one of them as a November birthday treat?!?!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-08-31 20:38
White version is out in UK today
Phone?? What phone??
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2011-09-01 18:30
ordered a white front plate and back plate. 20.00. crackin deal.
roosevelt92
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-03 09:42

On 2011-05-06 16:51:52, julias wrote:
What i'd like to know is how does this Galaxy S II compare with the SE arc?

Both handset are almost same in the comparison but the Samsung will rock against Xperia arc. Galaxy S II has front facing camera while Sony Ericsson arc doesn't have, galaxy has more pixels for their recording and the most important thing is that its processor i,e galaxy s II has 1.2 Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor while Xperia arc has 1GHz Scorpion processor, so the results shows us galaxy s II is much better than Xperia arc ...
[ This Message was edited by: roosevelt92 on 2011-09-03 08:43 ]
avielsvis
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-09-03 19:29
you have this problem in the phone http://androidforums.com/sams[....]tting-itself.html#post2734941?
i have this problem you have this?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 192021 ... 979899  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic