Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Rest in peace, Symbian

Author Rest in peace, Symbian
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-11 23:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Typical networks not doing their homework.

Belle never was coming this month, the rumour was just that, a rumour. They wont release Belle until Belle running phones have been released for at least a few weeks. I think it'll be here sometime around the start of December.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-12 00:22
Yeah more than likely they wanna see if any bugs arise too
Phone?? What phone??
sigea
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-12 08:04

On 2011-02-16 11:48:47, ares wrote:
Symbian died for me when SE let UIQ die

Why isn't there a like button for comments like these?

In an alternate ending to things, SE could've taken UIQ to new heights and perhaps established itself as a competitor to all current touch based interfaces.

Anyways, somethings are as they are, R.I.P UIQ

bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-12 11:31
I see a lot of people commenting that Symbian is dead. While Nokia is changing its way of thinking to keep Symbian alive a lot longer then 2015.
UIQ is dead, and thats probably the stupidest thing SE could do. Like some of you said here before, if SE would've continued to develop UIQ it would be better then IOS/android these days.
I don't believe in the CEO of Nokia (he's just killing the company to Mircosoft can get its hands on the pattents), but i do trust the employee's to keep pushing to bring us Symbian devices. (hopefully with autofocus)
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-12 11:51
There's no doubt we'll carry on see in Symbian devices for the next 3-4years, so if you buy something like the Nokia 701 you should be perfectly fine...that's if apps, games and social networking aren't that important to you,

There doesn't seem to be much hype around Windows Phone Mango anymore...I know its too early to say if it has helped shift more WP devices, but I think Nokia are also a bit nervous about how their Windows Phone devices will fair, Symbian may just stick around for even longer than Elop wanted.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-12 12:03

On 2011-10-12 00:22:24, Bonovox wrote:
Yeah more than likely they wanna see if any bugs arise too

Yeah that too, but what i meant was, is that Nokia will want to let their new phones sell well on the Belle premise before they update phones like the N8 to Belle. If they released Belle first, there really would not be much to shout about apart from NFC in their new handsets. And if it were me, id rather have a N8 with its 12mp monster than a 701 with NFC which is pretty much unusable in the UK apart from some petrol stations, fast food joints and high end high street retailers.

@ Tsepz_GP - i think my N8 has plenty of great games, apps and social networking tools as does the rest of the new Nokia store. Where in my opinion it falls flat is with new more complicated and complex apps. Symbian totally lacks those types of apps, except for ones that attempt to replicate such apps but nowhere near as well. For example, the 4S comes with Siri, Nokia has apps like Vlingo, which are good and do the same thing but not to the same extent.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-14 16:04

On 2011-10-06 21:49:45, etaab wrote:
Going back to my Satio, which is now my best friends primary phone, i see now just how unresponsive the Satio's screen is. Its terrible. I also remember my Satio battery dying every single day, so more often than not id have to keep a spare battery from my W880i with me also.

It's true the battery was not great, but Neo/Arc aren't much different tbh, nor was my Samsung i8910, or N95 8gb either. I got a decent days use out of the satio. Occasionally, on an extra heavy days use (usually a day I was on the phone consistantly or a lot of wifi) I'd have to swap in my spare battery.

The only really excellent battery life I've seen is in blackberrys. But I hate blackberry, and their cameras are crap.

On the touchscreen, it was only unresponsive if you tried to use it as a fingerscreen. If you use a stylus or your fingernails then it worked fine. I agree capacitive touchscreens are much better, and resistive touchscreens are now obsolete, but as a resistive touchscreen the Satio was as good if not better than any other resistive touchscreen on the market. The bottom line is the Satio is obsolete, and even if we could put Android on it, which would be ultra-cool imho, it still wouldn't make a viable replacement for Neo or Arc. What we need is a new flagship camera phone from SE, an Android with 12MP, Xenon Flash, Active lens cover.
[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2011-10-14 15:05 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-14 23:14
Well, with the rumour and likely chance SE might split back into their original standalone state and the fact they've made no profit this year at all - i wouldnt hold my breath if i were you.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 13:28
Nokia to make the successor to the N8 in 2012 according to GSM Arena!!
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 21:08
Yeah i just saw that, i doubt it'll be Symbian though, more likely Windows because Nokia like their flagship phones to carry the best camera hardware they have. Remember Symbian is classed as their budget phone OS now.
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-01-02 21:03

On 2011-09-07 05:15:00, jj03 wrote:
i use kies to backup my apps (and titanium backup) and you can send files.over bluetooth on android, tho i use wifi direct (gs2) as its.much much better than bluetooth and much faster...1.2gig film.took me less.than two minutes to send to another gs2.

Wi-fi won't help you when you just want to send a file to another phone in the middle of nowhere. Android can do it, but not without an app. Same with external bluetooth GPS receivers. Android and iOS can accept them, but not without an app. Symbian does it natively and flawlessly.
Connecting an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to Nokia E63

Apparently Android and iOS can't do the bluetooth SPP profile natively, among several other bluetooth profiles. Weird stuff, but probably so they could save some $.

Last I checked you need a Google email account just to 'activate' your Android device. I dislike Google and don't want to accept this, nor do I want to sync anything to their servers. Does Google have a PC Suite-type of app that Nokia has, with selective recovery of contacts, calendar, etc? I don't know. Nokia has this stuff by default, with 2-way syncing between desktop and phone. Same as free GPS navigation in many countries, thanks to their Navteq purchase. This is a real plus to me.

Nokia are on the 'cloud' bandwagon too, which I detest.

Biggest problem with Nokia is simply their quality control and overall user experience with their devices, and the fact that hardware and expectations these days, GUI-wise, video-wise, etc. have moved on and they are clearly playing catch up here.

Symbian isn't necessarily slow, but Nokia hampering Symbian with slower hardware while trying to do all the new touchscreen tricks is making the OS sure appear like it's slow. It simply wasn't designed to be extended to large touchscreens in my opinion. In the non-touchscreens, Symbian is clearly king, with Android devices not even coming close to competing with battery life (on most models). E6 and others are an exception in the Nokia line-up: many people say the battery life is poor; another sign they are stretching things too far with screen resolutions and so forth.

I don't think Symbian is lacking much on the software front; I think it's lacking in overall user experience and quality control. Plus the Symbian Signed certificate stuff. That is horrible from a usability roadblock standpoint. All this plus the not-great Ovi Store, the bugs in firmware and phones, the fact it's hard to find apps for the average user, etc.

It all adds up and shapes perceptions.
Even though I think Symbian is still better in key areas and still far better in most E-Series type of devices with qwerty keypads.

It's a shame that nothing will really halt the damage they've done to their reputations now. MeeGo was looking good but we all know that Microsoft has given them a lot of money to do their OS. Less features yet nice touchscreen experience. I think that's what it's about in today's market now.

There is no turning back for them.
[ This Message was edited by: vlotnet on 2012-01-02 20:14 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi