Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Rest in peace, Symbian

Author Rest in peace, Symbian
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-09-18 23:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Never thought i'd see you talk about Symbian in such a way Etaab things have realy changed in the past year.

I agree about how setting a nice working environment inspires employees, have you ever watched CNBC's specials: Planet of the Apps and Inside the Mind of Google? In the latter there is a segment about Android, its an oldish show now as they show the G1 and HTC Magic, but the Androi team are so laid back, and have fun with their work, same goes for the Apple devs in Planet of the Apps, little 12yrld nerdy kids creating maths apps to help their classmates with math on their iPhones, both Apple and Google show that you dont have to have a strict, dull, workplace to achieve high productivity in a workplace, thats why they are such valuable brands right now.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-20 04:00
I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that.

The other factor that would be partly responsible for s60's demise is the fact it's such a slow platform. Even my Samsung i8910, which is quite stable, is still very slow. You have to do a lot more waiting for things than you do on a android or ios phone. I put this down to the one common factor; linux. Both phones are based on linux, and linux has proven to be a stable and efficient os for even quite small embedded devices.

Because iOS and Android are quicker, they are more fluid and responsive; people naturally enjoy using them and get a positive impression. Also the touch interface is more mature than s60, but this alone may not be enough to lift Symbian out of the doldrums. Symbian as the underlying OS may simply be too inefficent to compete with the likes of ios and android.

Time will see I guess.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-09-20 09:41
Indeed, and another thing i noticed, Nokia have very stubbornly stuck to outdated ARM11 chipsets in their Symbians, i know S60v5 wasn't optimized for A8-Cortex in the Satio and OmniaHD thats why they gave the N97 a ARM11, but i thought we would see better hardware in Symbian3, that never happened, the N8 realy shows it runs an outdated OS with outdated HW when the going gets tough. The Satio and OmniaHD fell victim to an old OS, imagine how incredible both would've been if they had Android in them? They would still be going strong like the Motorola Milestone which runs on the very same hardware.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-09-24 00:05

On 2011-09-18 23:21:35, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Never thought i'd see you talk about Symbian in such a way Etaab things have realy changed in the past year.

It may seem like it, but this past year has played out exactly how i thought it would. This time last year i was on here talking to that American kid who wanted to replace his C905 (i think it was) with a high spec camera related phone. I was using a Satio, which i didnt like all that much and needed to change to a Nokia phone knowing Android back then didnt really offer me what i wanted and needed. If you remember back then, i said to him why not do what im going to do. Buy the N8, and then in a years time see what Android has to offer. I also said it would be up to Symbian 3, 4 and Meego to take on iOs and Android. I still stand by that, but sadly Nokia backed out of the whole race and sold out to Microsoft using their trojan horse Stephen Elop. Its sad that Nokia wont be bringing the N9 to the UK and even more sad that they're putting Meego into more of a hobby than a business. Meego has had nothing but praise for its style, innovation and fluid interface. Sadly, its a year or two late.

My contract is now up for renewal, its two years since i took out a 24 month contract on the Satio. I would never have stuck with the Satio for 2 years, SE's version of Symbian wasnt bad, but completely obsolete even compared to Symbian on any Nokia device. I think now that Nokia has no intention of using their own expertise, or lack of, to develop their own open source OS and now use Windows Phone, im only left with one choice. Android or Apple.

At the moment, im still leaning towards Android. Ive enjoyed using Android since i first picked up the T-Mobile G1 back in 2009. It was a really nice OS but very rough around the edges and missed vital functionality i needed. Now its becoming much more like Symbian. Its still missing some basic Symbian features, but then those features arent as necessary anymore with such a fluid interface.

Im hoping to move from my N8 to the next Google phone, the Nexus prime, Google Prime, or whatever it will be called. Imo, the best phone in the world at the moment has to be the Galaxy S2, by a far margin. Sadly, its now a pretty old phone as Samsung gear up to release phones with 1.5ghz HD screen equipped phones.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-24 17:35

On 2011-09-20 09:41:31, Tsepz_GP wrote:
The Satio and OmniaHD fell victim to an old OS, imagine how incredible both would've been if they had Android in them? They would still be going strong like the Motorola Milestone which runs on the very same hardware.

Damn, you are sure right about that. They'd have to pries the Satio from my cold dead hands if it had Android on it!!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-01 22:16
Do you not think the Satio build quality was a little cheap though looking back from the present ? especially the silver plastic sides which were so obviously not metal ?

I wasnt aware the Milestone ran the same hardware. Surely someone could get a Satio and attempt a port of its respective Android software over to SE's flawed previous flagship ?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-01 23:15
And yet still most phones are cheaply built although x10 build was good
Phone?? What phone??
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-10-01 23:24
I was a big fan myself of UIQ. When UIQ died I was pretty much done with Symbian. RIP
Go Android.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-05 15:04
A review of the new Nokia 701 with Belle. It seems even reviewers like it
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Nokia-701-Review_id2841/page/1
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-10-05 14:04 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 10:18
Im sure it will go down very well but as always with Nokia its a bit late in the day. Im looking forward to it, but its low on my list of priorities at the minute.
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 11:34

On 2011-09-24 17:35:55, max_wedge wrote:
Damn, you are sure right about that. They'd have to pries the Satio from my cold dead hands if it had Android on it!!

Apart from the operating system, the Satio did have some other shortcomings as well. Battery standby time for one, the resistive touch screen that more or less required a stylus for another.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-10-06 21:49
Going back to my Satio, which is now my best friends primary phone, i see now just how unresponsive the Satio's screen is. Its terrible. I also remember my Satio battery dying every single day, so more often than not id have to keep a spare battery from my W880i with me also.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-11 13:21
This made me chuckle this morning in this months O2 brochure Look closely what it says about the Nokia 700
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-11 16:40
World's smallest ANDROID 2.3 smartphone, somebody please inform them Nokia dont make Androids or this will be a major disaster for O2.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-10-11 17:38
Yeah indeed. And Symbian Belle is reported today as being delayed
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi