Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Remote control your robot vacuum cleaner with a smartphone

Author Remote control your robot vacuum cleaner with a smartphone
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-01-04 03:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
LG has announced LG Thinq. A solution to clean up your room using your smartphone or tablet while away from home
Esato News

The final goal of the new Thinq technology is to save power and let end users manage their homes in a more centralized and convenient way. All it takes is a working wireless network, an LG fridge, LG oven, LG washer and LG robot vacuum cleaner HOM-BOT. As far as we know, non of the existing LG products are Thinq enabled and only some of future LG products will be Thinq powered.

Thinq enabled devices are connected via Wi-Fi so all connected appliances needs to be in range of your wireless network access point. LG Thinq will in the future let you check remaining time of the washer, give instructions to the robot vacuum cleaner via the smartphone or tablet. The smartphone requirements are unknown, but a phone or tablet running Android and maybe Windows Phone 7 powered phone will have an home app available soon. LG haven't made any tablet yet, so it it interesting that they are promoting the Thinq for tablets.

LG ThinqLG choose to call the system Thinq which includes five features named Smart Grid, Smart Diagnosis, Smart Access, Smart Adapt and Food Management. The Smart Grid deploys a smart meter to ensure that appliances use the minimum amount of energy at the least expensive rates as possible. How the rates are collected is uncertain, as none of the supplier in our area provides live data of their power prices. But usually power prices are lower during night, so the systems "Recommend Time" will probably start the washing machine sometime during the night.

We particulary liked the following statement from LG:

More impressively, consumers will soon be able to order their HOM-BOT robotic vacuum cleaner to tidy up their home while they're out, or use the vacuum's viewing function to keep watch when they are away from home. Via a smartphone or tablet PC, consumers even have the option to have HOM-BOT feed their pet while they're away. LG plans to offer even more convenient options through Smart Access in the near future

One question remains to be answered. Will you trust the life of your dog to a machine from LG? Of course you would. 

The LG vacuum cleaner has serveral built-in cameras so it might be possible to remotely control it using the robot's camera to show you the way. Personaly we have tried one of the leading producers of robot vacuum cleaner and this is nothing you want to leave alone. They are OK when they work, but as soon as it get stuck spinning in a corner the brushes and tiny electrical engine will burn out. And trust me, it will.

In addition to the new features allready mentioned, the typical frige door is left open problem, washing machine off-balance can be reported via the front display, or directly to the smartphone or tablet in future models.

LG control panel

Via

Pophopekins
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-02-08 22:34
As illustrated above, the LG announcement covered ovens, refrigerators, washing machines, and robotic vacuum cleaners. That’s a nice start.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-09 09:08
Don't they think people are fat enough?

People these days need all the exercise they can get. A vast portion of the people struggle with their weight as it is without some robot doing everything for them.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-02-09 13:51
thats one view.

another more optimistic view is to consider robots as doing the menial chores while we use the time to improve ourselves or go to the gym etc

its wrong to consider robots as something that makes us lazy. we have the choice to be lazy or not.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-02-09 14:34
But we have to consider the handicapped people. They are the truly people who'd need this.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-09 15:18
I used to have one dog and one robot vacuum cleaner. I am telling you that going to the gym while the cleaner did its job was not an option. I had to stay in the same room and watch the thing doing its job. In the beginging I did it because it was fascinating (sic) to watch, but later because it was very good at chewing at the power cords and speaker cables. This was also how it died in the end. The mechanical brush got stuck and one of the engine burned out.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-09 15:37
A robot that got up to mischief it seems.

I guess you'd have to trust the machine not to trip up on itself and look after your furniture at the same time, but I in time the technology will no doubt be tried and tested.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi