Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011

Previous  123 ... 327328329 ... 362363364  Next
Author The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 09:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What will be the title ? SONY 2012 portfolio or SonyEricsson/SONY 2012 portfolio ?
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 10:17

On 2011-11-12 09:03:00, randomuser wrote:
What will be the title ? SONY 2012 portfolio or SonyEricsson/SONY 2012 portfolio ?

I suppose the Sony Ericsson/ Sony 2012 portfolio would be more appropriate for the whole of 2013.

As for Sony buying webOS,I personally feel they would do themselves a lot of good. Sure, there are not many apps for the OS but with Sony's wealth of experience and sub-brands they could find a solid solution to the problem.

Of course, their recent record is suspicious but I am sure they could do it with enough effort.

Android is going to reach a point of oversaturation and with too many players it will be extremely tough for Sony that is essentially 'starting out'. They need their own os IMO.

I remember Bert saying if SE had the money they would buy webOS, well, Sony can raise that money even in their not so sound financial situation.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 12:53
I agree with Dups regarding WebOS, for the simple reason that it would be wise not to gamble on just the one OS and to at least try and introduce an alternative. Isn't HTC considering it's own?

The ongoing litigation battles with Android don't present a 100% secure outlook.
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 15:42

On 2011-11-12 12:53:52, goldenface wrote:
I agree with Dups regarding WebOS, for the simple reason that it would be wise not to gamble on just the one OS and to at least try and introduce an alternative. Isn't HTC considering it's own?

The ongoing litigation battles with Android don't present a 100% secure outlook.

Agree also, maybe together with another manufacturer, HTC perhaps. Android will be overpopulated with chinese and korean manufacturers, cheap and good specs. WebOS is easily one of the better OSes out there IMO.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 16:21
You guys are rite Android will be saturated in the near future..!!
But what can SONY do after they buy Webos?? there are not too many features and very few apps !!they will take forever to add new features and app so whts the point buying it ?
End user cant take any advantage with second class OS..
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2011-11-12 15:32 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-12 16:31
I don't see how having many manufacturer's developing with the same OS is an issue. Does it harm any PC makers that (pretty much) everyone releases their PCs on Windows? No, in fact more manufacturers want to use Windows because it's what the consumer expects and is used to. The same is happening with android.

SE/Sony would lose so many customers if they decided to drop android for a proprietary system. Why do you think WebOS, meego, UIQ, Symbian (and sooner or later BB) died out? Because they were only used by one or two manufacturers, iOS I hear you shout? iOS is different because Apple came to the game with a system they can fully integrate with their own Mac OS. Microsoft could do this but they don't because they've lost their inspiration and they don't have a mobile phone manufacturing division. Apple are unique because they can provide hardware and software from the same source.

Their success can trace back to the iPod, which at first only came with Apple's own firewire, grew with popularity among the Mac crowd because it could sync properly with the Mac (something which no other MP3 player previously could do properly and easily in a no fuss way). Then they used USB and all of a sudden everyone has iTunes on their Windows machine and the stage is set for the iPhone. The iPhone and iOS was built off that success.

I see android becoming very much the dominant force in all electronic device OSes, including giving Windows a run for their money.

In 10 years the majority of internet users all over the world will access the internet and do their everyday work on touch screen devices (fact, actually it's almost like that now and will probably be less than 3 years) powered by android or a form of Windows (speculation). Things really won't look much different than these futuristic videos that float around the internet, just a little less cheesy and a little more genuinely useful.

Sorry for the long post, but it is vaguely on topic.
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2011-11-12 15:34 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 17:33

On 2011-11-12 16:31:10, Ricky D wrote:
I don't see how having many manufacturer's developing with the same OS is an issue. Does it harm any PC makers that (pretty much) everyone releases their PCs on Windows? No, in fact more manufacturers want to use Windows because it's what the consumer expects and is used to. The same is happening with android.

innovation stagnates if there is only one company dictating the market and hardware suppliers
this is exactly what happened to the pc market
so no - its not good!
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-12 19:36
@jack00 Yes, you're right its not great for innovation if the ones in charge don't encourage it, but the discussion was the business sense of splitting your eggs when the basket you're in is winning.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 20:55

On 2011-11-12 19:36:47, Ricky D wrote:
@jack00 Yes, you're right its not great for innovation if the ones in charge don't encourage it, but the discussion was the business sense of splitting your eggs when the basket you're in is winning.

but this is exactly the fear which stops innovation
in the long term there is nothing to win in this game, if you are just one of many players
thinking from one financial quarter to the next won't help here either
android is winning until something better comes - and at some point there is always something better
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-12 21:09
@jack00 But for now there isn't anything better. The most successful companies aren't usually the ones who have the best ideas/innovation but the ones who can adapt the best to the current climate (read). At the minute smartphones are growing in popularity and over the next few years they will become more numerous desktops and laptops and will integrate with everything. Now is just the beginning. SE will do well to ride the wave with android whilst it's popular. When the next best thing comes along, then it is time to change.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-12 22:02
currently apple is the most successful company (i didn't want to bring this example, but it works so well )
just think about it - they are even more successful then exxon mobile, a company which makes money on gasoline.

sony ericsson had this strategy in the past ten years. they never were the best and never the first (maybe in the first years). i guess we know now that this just didn't work (in the long term). actually the wired article only proves that android is not the right partner - you can't move a company quick enough if a third party makes the decisions. apple is able to move quickly, because they are in charge.

Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-13 05:13
Apple are successful because they approached the market in the right way, they leant heavily on the loyalty of their mac users to get a core following and the rest was good marketing and stable, functional product(s) at a time when all the other manufacturers were losing stability and quality.

SE really don't need to develop (or buy) their own OS like Apply did. Android is flexible enough for them to write their own face and additional integration functionality for their devices e.g. tvs, tabs or PCs. It's a shorter way around it to write a few thousand lines of an apk add-on than to write an entire OS, get app developers to believe in your OS, develop the OS to compete in a competitive market functionally and still think about user experience. The chipsets supported by android has enough innovation and competition to be healthy.

All in all, with the limited resource and time the best solution for Sony/SE right now is it to stick with android for the foreseeable future. When things start to stagnate and Sony is stabilised in the mobile industry then a proprietary OS comes back into the equation, but for the coming years it doesn't make sense.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-11-13 05:37

On 2011-11-13 05:13:07, Ricky D wrote:

... When things start to stagnate and Sony is stabilised in the mobile industry then a proprietary OS comes back into the equation, but for the coming years it doesn't make sense.

This is a very wrong and dangerous approach! I like to be proactive in business rather than reactive like you want Sony to be. Buying webOS and fully integrating it into their systems now prepares them far better than waiting for something to 'go wrong' with Android by which time it will be too late. With regards to apps, it will not be easy but it is never easy starting a project like this, however, it is worthwhile in the end.

HTC and Motorola are both looking into their own OSs which means it will likely to be Sony which is left without one should the above-mentioned two come up with their own.

Having at least two webOS phones per year from Sony would be a good start, the rest of the portfolio will then continue to be Android.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-13 05:45
It's not waiting until something goes wrong at android but rather waiting until Sony is stable enough in the industry (so they can afford the R&D time) and android's growth and innovation starts to slow (by which time their hand will be forced). Neither of which I see for at least two years.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-11-13 06:43
I see where you are coming from and while I agree with you to an extent I see the webOS investment as a very worthwhile one that Sony should undertake as soon as next year, I mean they should buy the OS next year.

Let's be honest RickyD, Sony has been bleeding for the last four year and it is clear that a little bit of saving grace comes in the form of the mobile phone market. Waiting for Sony to completely recover is like waiting for a cancelled flight, it may happen 5 years from now. Nobody is saying that they should dump Android but to take a step in protecting themselves against the time when Android reaches its plateau. So, buying webOS next year and coming up with the first phone in 2013 (one introdutory phone for that year) and then make it two per year from then on and see where it takes them.

Also, as goldenface pointed out, Android isn't quite a safe bet when you consider all these lawsuits flying about.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 327328329 ... 362363364  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic