Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 321322323 ... 362363364  Next
Author The All New Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2011
io_bg
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 23:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
^ It was mentioned earlier that work on the Play replacement was cancelled, they'll make a new (fortunately more powerful) device instead.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-06 23:43

On 2011-11-06 23:26:20, io_bg wrote:
^ It was mentioned earlier that work on the Play replacement was cancelled, they'll make a new (fortunately more powerful) device instead.

Could you post a source for this information? I don't recall any official statement that the play 2 had been cancelled...plus if they would design a more tech heavy gaming device it would not only a, compete with their own PSP Vita and b, kill the ecosystem they're trying to build with the playstation certified content, if they were to start all over again with more graphical rich games what would they call it? Playstation certified plus?. The xperia play doesn't just need to be a game console, the advantage of this device is that you can play any game on the android market, with greater control (if they're xperia play optimised) then other phones which just have touch buttons. With my arc, I've plugged in a game controller thanks to the 2.3.4 update and a lot of games are much more fun to use with it.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-11-06 22:46 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-07 02:39
My source in China said Play2 was cancelled as Sony's first order of business n SE.

RE: xenon flash
I actually believe the main problem is the battery consumption. Smartphones with big screens barely last a day as it is and it's something every manufacturer is acutely aware of. The general public won't like that their phones last few hours but takes 'slightly' better (than Exmor R) pictures, the trade off is a clear one in the general consumers' eyes. Of course anyone with an eye for photography will be able to tell the difference but then wouldn't anyone with an eye for photography use a real camera for the good shots?
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 02:49
It makes a HUGE difference for night shots. I've seen plesnty of pictures taken wiht regular led flashed and they're pathetic. Not to mention blurry, most of the time, due to increased exposure time.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 04:05

On 2011-11-07 02:39:51, Ricky D wrote:
My source in China said Play2 was cancelled as Sony's first order of business n SE.

RE: xenon flash
I actually believe the main problem is the battery consumption. Smartphones with big screens barely last a day as it is and it's something every manufacturer is acutely aware of. The general public won't like that their phones last few hours but takes 'slightly' better (than Exmor R) pictures, the trade off is a clear one in the general consumers' eyes. Of course anyone with an eye for photography will be able to tell the difference but then wouldn't anyone with an eye for photography use a real camera for the good shots?

Those problems can be easily ironed if Manufacturers are serious with their commitment. its just that they are too afraid to do something that defies the general public perception. I recall the same thing was said when people think a high resolution and large sensor camera phone would eat more battery than a the crappy cam module that was generally available. TBH i'll put the blame on the stupid current trend of making "slimmest" phones which prevents powerful batteries as well as useful hardware like Xenon flash from being integrated. iphone 4s/SGS2 had a great camera quality but they're too slim that they don't offer the comfortable grip we enjoy with true digicams
10 years at Esato
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 10:47
About xenon, I don't think the concern is battery life. That's true, xenon consumes a lot of energy, but then, how often does one use camera? Let alone camera with xenon flash It's pretty rare, but very usefull nonetheless. And I remember having xenon on k800i, battery was still good, and I still remember very neat feature called BestPic, wonder why nobody does this anymore?

IMO mobile phone makers made a pact with camera manufacturers, just think about it, camera sensors in mobile phones are so good these days, that customer asks himself, do I need compact camera? Just look at this, cheap compact cameras can't do 1080p, phones can. The only advantage of compact cameras is night performance thanks to flash. And that's what still keeping them(also optical zoom, but it's not that very useful as xenon)... Put a xenon in many phones, say bye bye to compact cameras market. It's sad but probably ture. I mean we saw xenon flashes in 2006-2009, what made them disappear? (only one phone N8 continued the tradition, but has no successor)
Ravager
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 11:05
I don't think it's the battery either, I would say it's the thickness. Due to the size of the capacitors they can't make the phone thin enough.
And AFAIK most people care more about thickness then xenon flash. I'm not one of those though, I would love an Android with xenon.
Ravager
The tiny rabbit from outer space
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 11:08
I think most people just 'expect' some sort of continuation of the the range of winning phones, which although the picture quality beyond the K800i was not mind blowing, the features such as Xenon? Active lens cover? BestPic? - which cached 5 pics before and pics after you let go of the focus button?

All the extras were great.

More than anything else it is the Xenon which I miss most from Sony Ericsson and I still miss it today. Walkman has reappeared with Android but what happened to Cyber-shot? After all, it's one of the things that made Sony Ericsson great.
Ravager
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 11:14
@goldenface

Totally agree.
And with todays sensors and lenses getting better. With a xenon flash they could kill the ´point and shoot´ camera segment.
[ This Message was edited by: Ravager on 2011-11-07 10:14 ]
Ravager
The tiny rabbit from outer space
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 11:24
The thing is I don't think people really mind putting up with the extra width as long as there is the advantage of having a decent flash.

I almost never posted pics in the esato photo threads when I stopped using my C905.

Raidersky?
disiz
HTC One S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 11:28
Still no xenon flash on Nozomi ?! Then I'll stay on HTC phones, and keep my Satio for photos...
Years ago, SE was a good brand, with Walkman & Cybershot on their phones. Then Android has come and SE has fall...
Karun
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-07 12:01
Looking at it from a different viewpoint, all the manufacturers are probably waiting a while till they get xenon back. Lets face it, there is never going to be a perfect phone. Probably they feel that a slim design, faster and better processors is the need of the hour or rather the demand.
Its not worth blaming SE. None of the other manufacturers are adding it in their devices. If it was such an advantage, someone would have brought it back. I feel xenon will make a comeback soon, the only question is when.
[ This Message was edited by: Karun on 2011-11-07 11:02 ]
For all Sony Mobile news:
Sony Mobile Evangelist
aamwng
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 12:44
When the phones can't get any thinner...
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 12:48
Hmm. I really don't understand why so much fascination about having the thinnest phone ? IMO 10mm-12mm is more than adequate thinness for a smartphone to not be a pain to use.
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2011-11-07 12:51
Everything has become Thin these Days "NANO Technology"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 321322323 ... 362363364  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic