Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia's deceitful cameraphones

12  Next
Author Nokia's deceitful cameraphones
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 04:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't know if it's just me who notices that Nokia is trying to deceive the public by selling cameraphones with high-resolution cameras but without autofocus. Nokia phones like the C7 and C6-01 are equipped with 8mp cameras without AF and even the rumoured X7 will be following the same path as those phones. This marketing strategy makes me loath nokia more. Autofocus is more important than having higher megapixels! Just b..ecause some people are dumb who think higher mp is always better, doesn't mean they have to take advantage of it! It's no wonder why nokia's losing marketshare!
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 07:03
This is something I found awkward by Nokia. I never understood why they did it. This reminds of the X8. An android phone with a non af camera. How will it work with the bar code scanner app?

But here we are again the the MP race as you mentioned.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 07:19
I definitely agree! X8 too should have had autofocus but X8's case is much plausible as it's a midrange smartphone intended to be affordable/cheap unlike those Nokia handsets which have double the price of the X8..

For sure some buyers don't even know about this that they will only find out that their phones lack AF after buying it!
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 07:23
Agree.

But back to Nokia, I never thought they'd do something like this.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 08:58
To be fair, the C7 and C6-01 are both mid-end phones, the Cseries phones are all mid to low end, but the one that doesn't make sense to me is the E7, this thing is going to cost over 500euro and it has no AF, its a business phone, yet you wont be able to scan barcodes with it, the phone it "replaces" is the E90 and yet that had AF.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-27 09:41
Has anyone thought to try these infiniti type focus technology in their camera phones BEFORE knocking it?

The higher the cpu processing power - and proper algorhythms (lets not forget ALL camera phones has algorhythms good or poor; hacking required for those that are poor) - the long haul to PC editing for photos of some 12yrs ago Photoshop 4-6??

Remember the human EYE works VERY much the same way! Even though the eye doesn't specifically focus on a particular subject ALWAYS; only when required we STILL see items at varying depths even if our conciousness doesn't process it .. the sub-concious does. Ever see out the corner of your eye see someone creep on you out of a reflection without NEEDING to "focus" on that creep.

^ ok maybe I'm going over the top but it would be nice to TRY this function out thoroughly before knocking it.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 09:54
@Tzepz, Although C7 and C6-01 are midrange phones, you still pay twice/trice the price of some cheap phones with AF. As what you have said, even old nokia phones have AF and if some old midrange nokia phones doesn't have, it still doesn't make sense to upgrade the mp to 8mp instead of adding AF. Maybe, Nokia's too desperate to get more buyers..Thanks by the way.. I didn't know that even the E7 doesn't have AF
[ This Message was edited by: Shino03 on 2010-11-27 09:02 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 13:08
I agree with Prom1, without using or seeing first hand what they're capable of we cannot really comment.

Besides, its not just Nokia making the decision to release phones without AF, SE have done the same when they decided not to let their W series of Walkman phones have AF either, since they are not camera centric. So they had some high end W series phones which never had AF.

This comes as no surprise to me, i agree all phones should have AF but it would appear its not a necessary function in all devices.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 13:43
A fixed focus camera has the advantage that it is ready to shoot immediately. This can be great when shooting something lively like kids or pets. The disadvantage is of course that macro shots are not possible unless you have a separate selection for this, like for example on some of HTC's old smartphones.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 14:00
@AbuBasim: remember that the AF capable camphones have the ability to set the focus to in-fi-ni-te. Which is the same in this case to non AF.

We all are basing on the information given in the press release. It says it has no AF and that is the point here. I know they can do much more things, but lacking AF is, as I mentioned earlier, awkward.

On 2010-11-27 13:08:55, etaab wrote:
I agree with Prom1, without using or seeing first hand what they're capable of we cannot really comment.devices.

AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 14:14

On 2010-11-27 14:00:50, tranced wrote:
@AbuBasim: remember that the AF capable camphones have the ability to set the focus to in-fi-ni-te. Which is the same in this case to non AF.

But typically with a more narrow DoF. Fixed focus cameras have a wider range. For example my old G700 could focus from about one metre to infinity.
idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 15:14
i dont think sonyericsson has 5 or 8 mp fixed focus walkmans.
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 15:21
I agree with Idumbakumar.
The walkman is a different case. Some walkmans lack AF as they aren't camera-centric devices but didn't you notice that only walkman phones with 3mp/less cameras have no AF! The rest above 5 mp are all equipped with Autofocus because SE's wise enough to know that it's nonsense to have 5mp/more without Af.. Can't you just guys admit that Nokia is wrong on that move! I might be wrong but show me an 8mp cameraphone w/out AF from another manufacturer and I might forgive them for this.

It's very clear that this is a deceitful market strategy. Even gsmarena stated it that it doesn't make sense.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 15:26
@AbuBasim agree there too. The fact is that Nokia should have put an AF camera module. I'm not arguing its other hardware though.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-27 16:57
It's a bit crazy that it's a big 8 mega pixels & no AF. I was shocked cos the specs of them phones looked promising. The design is nice too. Surely your not going to get 8 meg quality with no focus?? Correct me if I am wrong but does it really cost that much more these days to slap on an AF or even a cheap LED for instance?? Silly mistake Nokia

Original
This is a photo without auto focus on the x8. Not bad is it really??
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-11-27 16:04 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi