Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Why are smartphones called smartphones?

Author Why are smartphones called smartphones?
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-11 12:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-11-11 09:32:28, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Smartphones are smarter than SE featurephones, get over it. Just because a smartphone doesn't do what you want doesn't make it stupid, we've proven that smartphones provide more depth and freedom to their users, applications are part of their appeal.

And I have proven that smartphones limit and restrict my usage compared to a SE feature phone. It just depends on what area you're looking at.

I wouldn't exactly call it freedom to be denied those things I've mentioned.

But sure, it gives you more freedom on other areas, no question about that. That's just not enough for me to call it a smart phone.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 12:35
They definitely do enough to be called smart, but as you dont use the features you don't see why you need any more than a dumbphones. Simpler phones have many more restrictions than smartphones
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-11 12:48

On 2010-11-11 12:35:31, mriley wrote:
They definitely do enough to be called smart, but as you dont use the features you don't see why you need any more than a dumbphones. Simpler phones have many more restrictions than smartphones

I don't consider lack of e.g. full browser a restriction. It's a limitation of the hardware on the feature phones.

But it's silly that these powerful smartphones doesn't offer these small functionalities. Stupid.

I don't have the need for a full browser no, but I might use it anyway if I had it. But as long as these smartphones doesn't offer these simple things, then I won't be using them.
To me it's no more different than lack of e.g. eBooks for the feature phones. It's a lack, simple as that. And one there's no excuse for after all these years.

At both big and small companies it has become increasingly popular for the employees to take courses in LEAN; a concept used by Toyota to minimize production time.
There's no LEAN in
1) Buying a smartphone
2) Searching for, downloading and installing a stop-watch app
3) Searching for, downloading and installing an additional file-browser in order to be able to send and receive files and contacts via bluetooth
4) Maybe you need a plugin for that file-browser too before you can do that.
5) Searching for, downloading and installing an additional mp3-player because the built-in lacks equalizer
6) Whoops, no more battery now because of all the searching and installing apps
etc etc

But hey, you've got webbrowsing... yay! That is indeed a smart phone!! (In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic here).

Yea, I'll go with the
1) Buy SE feature phone. That's a smart LEAN solution when you don't need full webbrowsing.
[ This Message was edited by: mr_lou on 2010-11-11 11:51 ]
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 19:12
I think you've just had a bad experience with them, personally id never get a vivaz pro, if you want a real smartphone go with xperia or another brand, then most of the limitations you've mentioned won't apply.
Web browsing isn't the only thing that's better, but if your happy with SE feature phones and are disappointed with higher end phones then its futile mentioning them
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Lollylost100
HTC One
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-11 19:23
The thing with smartphones is. If it can't do it, get an app which can . Personally I prefer smartphones because of multitasking and being able to use data and still be able to receive a call (not possible on any dumb SE phones).

PS. Symbian sucks .
[ This Message was edited by: Lollylost100 on 2010-11-11 18:23 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 19:26
I love the smart phone for large screen for browsing,push email on the move,having lovely big crisp screen to see images camera pics & videos on,not bothered about apps don't really use many or games.
Phone?? What phone??
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-11 20:44

On 2010-11-11 19:23:17, Lollylost100 wrote:
The thing with smartphones is. If it can't do it, get an app which can

Of course. But every phone really should come with these basic functions as a standard. There's absolutely no sense in including apps like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube - which you can't even delete, and then not include simple wireless files transfer functionality.
And why prohibit the user from sending a simple MIDI file in an MMS? How can a lack like this even be ignored for so many years?

(There's nothing smart about not being able to delete default apps either. It's what you can expect on a feature phone, but not on a smartphone. Come on).

Yes, Symbian sucks, but the first Android devices weren't that great either. Same with the first iPhones, and now it seems the first Windows Phone 7 does exactly the same: No file wireless file transfer possible. Not even wireless transfer of PIM data. Makes you think coding this functionality requires a rocket scientist.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 21:37
@ lollylost. Multitask is no problem for SE dumb phones.
I have no problem to listen to music, browse and recieve calls at the same time. Even T610 could do that 6 years ago
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 21:40
Well it seems like a "dumbphone" is to smart to be "dumb" and a smartphone to "dumb" to be smart
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 21:48

On 2010-11-11 21:37:15, hihihans wrote:
@ lollylost. Multitask is no problem for SE dumb phones.
I have no problem to listen to music, browse and recieve calls at the same time. Even T610 could do that 6 years ago

Hihi always has the best straight forward answers
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 22:12
The people who had to come up with a name thought is was a smart idea
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 23:05
Wow, this thread is getting longer and longer. Well, the delineation of the functionality of the so called dumb feature phones and smartphones is actually thinning. If you are fairly satisfied with feature phones, then by all means settle for it.

Smartphone is just a nomenclature for phones with proper OS instead of just proprietary mobile platforms like Nokia's S40 (which doesn't do multitasking) or SE's own A100 and A200 platforms (which are great in multitasking). I agree with Mr. Lou that there is nothing smart in crippling an OS for not having basic functionality like bluetooth file transfers, etc in a phone. But that's just how it is and at the end of the day, you need to choose what phone suit your needs.

@hihi

I guess your right, Smarties started all this smart naming thing.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 23:24

On 2010-11-11 22:12:51, hihihans wrote:
The people who had to come up with a name thought is was a smart idea

ah smarties more reliable than any smartie phone The only thing I have against smart phones is the more that's put in them the more that goes wrong. Dumb phones will always have the better battery life aswell. I had 4 to 5 days with my Elm Battery technology is one thing that needs to improve I remember having this conversation with masseur once
Phone?? What phone??
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-12 07:48

On 2010-11-11 21:40:04, rikken wrote:
Well it seems like a "dumbphone" is to smart to be "dumb" and a smartphone to "dumb" to be smart

Agreed!

On 2010-11-11 23:24:17, Bonovox wrote:
The only thing I have against smart phones is the more that's put in them the more that goes wrong. Dumb phones will always have the better battery life aswell. I had 4 to 5 days with my Elm Battery technology is one thing that needs to improve I remember having this conversation with masseur once.

Smartphones should be called Browserphones, and they're defined by devices that offers full browsing functionality, poor battery time, gets slow the more apps you install, and doesn't offer basic functionality. You have to search, download and install various apps to get basic functionality on most areas, like stopwatch, timer, file transfers etc. Browserphones are touch-controlled.
SE's feature phones should be called Smartphones, and they're defined by devices that offers limited browsing functionality, great battery time, maintains speed no matter HOW many apps and games you install, and gives you a ton of basic features. Smartphones comes in button-controlled and touch-controlled variants.

Both Browserphones and Smartphones can do multitasking, they're both fast and you can install whatever apps you find online. Only problem is, that some Browserphones (for whatever stupid reason) requires you to self-sign the app before installing. (But that's what you can expect from a non-smartphone. Afterall, it's just a Browserphone).

Oh yea, and installing apps on a smartphone is smart. You simply transfer a JAR file to it, then it installs and is ready for use. Smart!
On a Browserphone you have to first send the install-file, then click it in the Inbox, or browse to the folder it got saves using the file-explorer, then click it to install. But that's ok, because it's not a smartphone so it doesn't need to be smart.
[ This Message was edited by: mr_lou on 2010-11-12 06:51 ]
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-12 08:43

Wow! A new name for touch screen phones. How about the Blackberry smartphones, those are not browser phones since it specializes with push email with its BES and BIS services. Also the E series line of Nokia which are not touch optimized? These are also called business phones.

Smartphones can be very limited. One reason than I still am not jumping into the Android bandwagon is because there is no seamless way to sync it with Outlook. Our SE feature phones can be synced with Outlook also but I do not advise using it for business in keeping lots of appointments. I bricked by K800i about three times before because of failed synchronization wherein the phone just went blank and cannot be re-flashed. Good thing that it was still under warranty and it was replaced two times. In the third time it got bricked it was already out of warranty. Well maybe it is just me but I do sync almost daily all of my business appointments with my k800i and Outlook before. After that I used either a Symbian Nokia which cannot send midi files over bluetooth and has no smileys but I do not need those. Also the stopwatch I do use often but there are tons of freeware stopwatches out there. So, instead of whining on what the phone cannot do, I just maximized its use. And I also use windows mobiles devices with its ancient interface but it can send files over BT but also it will not send DRM protected files. It has no smileys either in messaging but one phones I used has no stopwatch so I just installed a freeware and the current winmo phone I am using has a built in stopwatch but In did install other alternatives anyway.

Maybe if you hate your Vivaz so much, then these "smartphones" are not for you since I do agree that SE's feature phones are very smart in themselves since they can multitask among other things.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi