Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Why are smartphones called smartphones?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Why are smartphones called smartphones?
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 22:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mr Lou

As I said, I won the Elm and I can read simple text file format e-nooks. But for my needs, I need the functionality to touch a footnote in reading an e-book and and then description will just pop-out which my Elm cannot do. I use a couple of readers in my smart phone which I cannot load into my Elm. Also I need the bigger screen in order to read the books much more comfortably.

And yes, I hate carrying two phones, but throwing quick text messages in a touch screen phone (be it capacitive or resistive) is just not that easy in doing as in a simple dumb feature phone. It is much easier to send a single text message using the Elm to multiple contacts which my Omnia (yes I am still using the old Windows Mobile platform) cannot do.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 22:47
AFAIK the reason why you cant send the Midi from your Vivaz is due to DRM protection, the OS can do it but they have set it so that it doesnt allow certain files to be sent, get X-Plore, it will allow you to send.
Bono
I read somewhere that it was due to security reasons that they left it out in android versions before 2.0
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 22:48

On 2010-11-10 22:39:02, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Stick to dumbphones then . What makes smartphones smart is that they are like mini PCs, they are PDAs with a phone functionality.

+1
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 22:55
One more thing that I cannot do with my Elm is taking down lengthy notes. I do use pocket word to take down lengthy notes. I may get a java app for note taking in the Elm to type down short notes using the predictive text input but it is just much faster doing it on pocket word with all the formatting functionality and using the T9 predictive text input with the virtual qwerty keyboard.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 23:03
At the end of the day its a personal decision of what you want from a phone, simplicity or freedom to do whatever you want. I agree that simpler phones are better for simple phone use, texting and calling. Other than that they can only he described as boring and out of touch with the latest mobile apps and development now with android. Smartphones are much more fun to use
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 23:08
Smart phones are the dog b*****ks for internet browsing
Phone?? What phone??
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 23:17
@jojo
I much prefer to use physical keyboards like the one on the Elm, i can't say i like the virtual keypads, even in landscape mode they are a pain to use.
When making notes on the Elm, i use the in-built one already on the phone, i have never downloaded apps for it, going on getjar and spending ages searching for something that you cant use to the full very outdated. A dedicated app market of much better.
-------------------
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 23:18
Last comment, what's in a name.
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 23:45
@matt

I just type much more faster on the virtual keyboard with the T9 predictive input method. I do not use the built in notes on the Elm since it is very limited. I need to type out long notes for a seminar, lecture, etc. If I use the built in notes in the Elm, I will have to type in several parts.

n.b.

On my old K800 before, I think there is a maximum number of notes that the phone can store. I used to sync my notes with Outlook and not all of my notes got synced with my K800. I did not try it in my Elm since I am now using Pocket Word for notes taking and I just copy the files to my laptop and open my notes with the desktop MS Word.
[ This Message was edited by: jojosiscar on 2010-11-10 22:51 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-11-10 23:47
The x8 has a very good keyboard although a little fiddly the text entry is amazing cos it even corrects your spelling of the word it's guessing your typing
Phone?? What phone??
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 01:54
I support this thread only with regards to the iphone, i've been asking myself the same question. To think, only the 4th gen iphone acquired multitasking capabilities and yet they are called smart phones...
Btw, i'm happy with my symbian device but the plain-pain-boring-un ergonomical UI is freaken getting to me, makes me wish it was more like the iOS
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-11-11 08:03

On 2010-11-10 22:39:02, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Stick to dumbphones then . What makes smartphones smart is that they are like mini PCs, they are PDAs with a phone functionality.

Not so long ago, a PDA was much more limited. Actually, when Sony Ericsson K700 and W800 came on the market, many people said it was like a PDA because it had all the basic PDA functions; PIM manager, applications and games, could be synchronized with Outlook and so on. Yes, SE's feature phones does have PDA functionality in my opinion, when looking at what other PDA's can do.
I think Smartphones and PocketPCs is something different than a PDA.

On 2010-11-10 22:44:15, jojosiscar wrote:
As I said, I won the Elm and I can read simple text file format e-nooks. But for my needs, I need the functionality to touch a footnote in reading an e-book and and then description will just pop-out which my Elm cannot do. I use a couple of readers in my smart phone which I cannot load into my Elm. Also I need the bigger screen in order to read the books much more comfortably.

Not sure what you mean about the footnote, or why it is that important to you. Obviously SE feature phones (except the Aino) doesn't have touch-support, but I'm sure the footnote thingy could be implemented some other way. For example by pressing the 1 key for popping up the description you need.
I've actually made a little eBook for SE feature phones with J2ME, just to see if I could. Nothing of use to international users though, since it's a collection of 9 Christmas stories in danish only. But you can see the functionality here: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/45180/Julehistorier
Adding some kind of word-explanation (if that's what you mean by footnote) wouldn't be much of a problem.

Just to show that eBooks are possible on SE's feature phones (and any other non smartphone for that matter), but sure, you might want a bigger screen for it.

On 2010-11-10 22:47:13, Tsepz_GP wrote:
AFAIK the reason why you cant send the Midi from your Vivaz is due to DRM protection, the OS can do it but they have set it so that it doesnt allow certain files to be sent, get X-Plore, it will allow you to send.

...and that is simply not smart, that I special software for my smartphone in order to do something that any SE feature phone can do out of the box. Not smart! Stupid! And why?? It makes no sense.
Sony Ericsson feature phones are smart! Smartphones are bloddy stupid.

On 2010-11-10 22:55:20, jojosiscar wrote:
One more thing that I cannot do with my Elm is taking down lengthy notes. I do use pocket word to take down lengthy notes. I may get a java app for note taking in the Elm to type down short notes using the predictive text input but it is just much faster doing it on pocket word with all the formatting functionality and using the T9 predictive text input with the virtual qwerty keyboard.

I remember trying out a text-editor for my W760 a few years back. Actually I managed to do the following with my W760:
1) Connect to a FTP site and download a PHP file from my site
2) Open the PHP file in a text-editor and correct something in it
3) Upload the PHP file to the FTP server again.
That way I actually used a plain feature phone to correct a website. I bet a lot of people didn't think that was possible.

Fact is, that feature phones can do a lot with plain J2ME apps. But developers have left the platform because it's too restricted unless they spend $500 each year to sign the apps you develop. This is what has doomed J2ME, and it's too late now. It's the same thing that will kill Symbian. There's no doubt Android will rule the world. I just hope there'll be Android devices on the market soon that are just as smart as SE's feature phones...
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 09:32
Smartphones are smarter than SE featurephones, get over it. Just because a smartphone doesn't do what you want doesn't make it stupid, we've proven that smartphones provide more depth and freedom to their users, applications are part of their appeal.
If you dont like that then throw your Vivaz against the wall and stick to your dumbphones.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 11:36
@mar lou

I am just citing footnotes as an example. I attached a screen shot of a Bible reader that I am using. I loaded a couple of Java based Bible reader on my elm but the functionality to toggle between two or three screens, click a reference and then go directly to it then toggle back to the previous screen or reference is just much more easier on a Smartphone than on the Elm or any feature phone for that matter. I can highlight texts and assign different colors to it. I can bookmark verses that I have gone through, I can go on and on. These things are just not present in the Java versions of the reader. I purchased the software content from Olivetree.com and their Java version is just very limited in nature. Java bible reader

There is already a Java based Mobipocket reader but it did not go out of beta as far as I know. I tried this before in my K800i. Mobireader

For notes taking, I can use the built in notes of the feature phone but I need the formatting functionality that I can do on my smart phone. Besides I can store much much more documents in my smart phone. My k800i had a limit of only 20 notes that can be synced if I remember it right. I haven't tried it on my elm though.

[ This Message was edited by: jojosiscar on 2010-11-11 10:42 ]
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-11-11 12:07

Smartphones are smarter than SE
featurephones , get over it. Just because a
smartphone doesn' t do what you want
doesn' t make it stupid, we' ve proven that
smartphones provide more depth and
freedom to their users , applications are
part of their appeal.
If you dont like that then throw your Vivaz
against the wall and stick to your
dumbphones.

Totally agree with you Tsepz.
Simple phones,are good for some people and others need smartphone functions, its stupid to say smartphones aren't smart because they aren't as simple as dumb phones.
-------------------
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi