Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Do not buy the new Nokia N8 if you´re keen on Night Photography

123  Next
Author Do not buy the new Nokia N8 if you´re keen on Night Photography
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 14:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It´s mininum Shutter Speed is just 1/15s.

1s exposures like SE´s phones since the k750 will not be possible.

Unless Nokia promotes a change in its camera software, people into Night Photography will mostly regret buying the new N8.

I´ve started a thread @ http://forums.dpreview.com/fo[....]sp?forum=1000&message=36768495 in order to inquire Damian Dinning (the man behind N8´s camera) about this issue.
Every Picture Tells a Story
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 14:39
In my opinion, this is a constructed problem. If you are seriously abou night photography, you will buy a dedicated camera for that. The exposure time of 1/15s is probably the longes time you are able to hold the phone steady. 1 second exposures will become blurry without a tripod or other types of stand. Another issue is that longer explosures will generate more unwanted noise.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 15:20
I wonder if there's an option in the camera settings to change the ISO manually.
They are probably trying to reduce blur in low-light photos, if they don't give an option to chance the shutter speed and the camera automatically chooses 1/2 s for low light photos, they would all come out blurred.
Only a tiny proportion of people who buy the N8 will use it for proper night time photos, (setting it up on a tripod and changing loads of settings)
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 15:30

On 2010-10-29 14:39:29, laffen wrote:
In my opinion, this is a constructed problem. If you are seriously abou night photography, you will buy a dedicated camera for that. The exposure time of 1/15s is probably the longes time you are able to hold the phone steady. 1 second exposures will become blurry without a tripod or other types of stand. Another issue is that longer explosures will generate more unwanted noise.

So, by your reasoning, if I am not seriously into photography as a whole, I would not need such a big sensor, am I right?

If I would think like that, I would not buy a cameraphone at first place.

That´s not an excuse for the issue.

I am not asking for 30s exposures. I am asking for a pretty basic 1s. I´ve never used a tripod for my cameraphone shots. They´re not handheld, but I always found ways of getting them.

Anyway, it´s a much wiser decision leaving to the customer the decision of whether to have or not to have a slower shutter speed.

They´ve done the most difficult thing already. They´ve fitted a 1/1.83" sensor inside it.

How easy would be eanbling slower Shutter Speeds?

Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 15:33

On 2010-10-29 15:20:53, mriley wrote:
I wonder if there's an option in the camera settings to change the ISO manually.
They are probably trying to reduce blur in low-light photos, if they don't give an option to chance the shutter speed and the camera automatically chooses 1/2 s for low light photos, they would all come out blurred.
Only a tiny proportion of people who buy the N8 will use it for proper night time photos, (setting it up on a tripod and changing loads of settings)

I understand their reasons.

But it´s super easy to provide an option at the Camera Interface for advanced users.

I am not asking for hardware changes. I ask for simple, mild UI ones.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 16:00

On 2010-10-29 15:30:16, Vit wrote:

If I would think like that, I would not buy a cameraphone at first place.

Is it possible to buy a phone without a camera these days?

I am not asking for 30s exposures. I am asking for a pretty basic 1s. I´ve never used a tripod for my cameraphone shots. They´re not handheld, but I always found ways of getting them.

Anyway, it´s a much wiser decision leaving to the customer the decision of whether to have or not to have a slower shutter speed.

I agree. To some extend. And why stop at 1 second? I am sure there are owners out there wanting 30 seconds as the maximum shutter speed.

They´ve done the most difficult thing already. They´ve fitted a 1/1.83" sensor inside it.

How easy would be eanbling slower Shutter Speeds?

The N8 has indeed a very large sensor for being a cameraphone. The picture quality is superb but I am sure it would be technically easy to allow for even shorter exposure times.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 16:20
From what I have seen some of the night shots outside with no flash are superb with not much noise. I do not see what you are saying
Phone?? What phone??
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 16:25

On 2010-10-29 16:00:58, laffen wrote:

The N8 has indeed a very large sensor for being a cameraphone. The picture quality is superb but I am sure it would be technically easy to allow for even shorter exposure times.

I guess you mean longer exposure times, am I right?

The question that remains is:

If it´s that easy, why on earth they´ve limited so hardly a capable HW like this?
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 16:29

On 2010-10-29 16:20:54, Bonovox wrote:
From what I have seen some of the night shots outside with no flash are superb with not much noise. I do not see what you are saying

If it manages to output good pictures @ higher ISO speeds, imagine what it would do @ lower ISO speeds.

And I am not only talking about the noise either.

I´m talking about the effects we can obtain with longer exposure times:

See the light trails? That´s simply not possible with an N8.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 17:44
People into night photography should buy a DSLR, not a camera-phone if they want good night photos at long exposures.
It would be better if they had given more control of shutter speed and ISO, but it can take good night photos and can do short light trails, but not crazy effects with long shutter speeds.
-------------------
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 17:47

On 2010-10-29 17:44:06, mriley wrote:
People into night photography should buy a DSLR, not a camera-phone if they want good night photos at long exposures.
It would be better if they had given more control of shutter speed and ISO, but it can take good night photos and can do short light trails, but not crazy effects with long shutter speeds.

There´s no need to go radical.
boy.in.PINK
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-29 17:52
Just accept the fact that the N8 is not meant for capturing photos with motion blur. Even my N82 can't, but my former G502 can.

And the fast shutter will be my another definite reason of buying a N8. I really don't like blurred shots.

My statement above is only my humble opinion and doesn't meant to offend anybody.

Stick to Satio my friend since I observed that 's can have slow shutters.
"Tell me what you have and I'll tell you who you are."
K700>G502>N82>GT-S5360>U20i>Innos D9
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 18:00
I think you expected too much from the phone. It can do good night photos so it's not fair to say that can't do good night photography just because it can't do long exposure effects, not all low light photos need long exposures. That's reality, it's radical to say don't get the N8 if you take a lot of night time photos
[ This Message was edited by: mriley on 2010-10-29 17:01 ]
-------------------
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 18:02

On 2010-10-29 17:52:25, boy.in.PINK wrote:
Just accept the fact that the N8 is not meant for capturing photos with motion blur. Even my N82 can't, but my former G502 can.

And the fast shutter will be my another definite reason of buying a N8. I really don't like blurred shots.

My statement above is only my humble opinion and doesn't meant to offend anybody.

Stick to Satio my friend since I observed that 's can have slow shutters.

The question is:

Why stick to only one world when it´s easy to have both?
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-29 18:17

On 2010-10-29 18:00:59, mriley wrote:
I think you expected too much from the phone. It can do good night photos so it's not fair to say that can't do good night photography just because it can't do long exposure effects, not all low light photos need long exposures. That's reality, it's radical to say don't get the N8 if you take a lot of night time photos
[ This Message was edited by: mriley on 2010-10-29 17:01 ]

No, it´s not radical.

If you have other options on the market that can do better night shots, it´s reasonable, IF YOU ARE KEEN ON NIGHT SHOTS, not to buy the N8.

Buying a Satio over a N8 is much less radical than buying a DSLR over an N8.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi