Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > elm or hazel

123  Next
Author elm or hazel
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 00:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
after staying away from SE phones for almost two years, i'm thinking of trying out either the elm or hazel. i'm just not sure what to get.

for the hazel, i like the big screen, but i'm worried about the slider thing since my nokia with the flex cable did not last me more than a year. the flex broke within 6months and after being replaced, it tended to have problems again when it was out of warranty.

for the elm on the other hand, is the wifi antenna really not that strong? is the wifi receiver on the hazel any better?

for both of the phones, is it true that you cannot use wifi for streaming youtube videos? also out of the box, both does not come with a usb cable which is the proprietary fast port one?

any thoughts on what phone to choose between these two will be much appreciated.
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 04:46
anybody?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 05:31
Do you use 3G video calling?

And how often do you slide the phone?

The Elm is a great phone. Wifi reception is strong. I'll have to double check on the Youtube over wifi thing

For the price though, you're coming close the the X10 Mini (If you want a touchscreen phone that is)
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 06:18
thanks. i rarely use video calling. i do not need a touchscreen phone right now coming from a tweaked omnia which i managed to be more touch optimized than the stock winmo 6.1 UI. i need a simple phone where i can type out quick replies while driving with one hand (i know, i'm supposed not to text message and drive at the same type). it's good to hear that wifi reception on the elm is strong. hope to get feedback from you on the youtube over wifi which gsmarena said is not working for both the elm and hazel units. i might damage the flex cable of the hazel early since i really use my phone quite heavily on text messaging and calls.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 08:15
Actually one of the main reasons I got the x10 mini pro was for one handed text.

But just so you know, YouTube works over wifi.

Just make sure you set all your Internet settings to connect over wifi.
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 08:36
@jplacson

thanks for the info. guess there must be something wrong in the settings when gsmarena reviewed these units. i'm also looking at the mini pro but the non-replaceable battery is a deal breaker for me. are you able to type messages using the qwerty keyboard using one hand?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 08:42
The mini pro has a replaceable battery. No you can't type w/ one hand using the qwerty, but you can type w one hand using T9 with the Mini or the Mini Pro.
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 08:50
o. may bad, it thought that the mini pro's battery is non-replaceable. i don't use t9 even on my omnia. actually i'm from the philippines too. my office mate is also using the mini pro and she is using the t9 input with the virtual phone pad. she texts in mixed language (taglish) which i don't want to do. i am going to the mall in a couple of minutes and might give these two phones a second look again. i really appreciate your valuable inputs. regards.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 09:04
Hey cool, glad I could help. Check out my blog as well for my review on the x10mini pro
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 12:01
i might defer getting the elm or any other phone for that matter. i'll give the mini pro a second look. i will check out your blog when i get home.

what do you think of the price of the elm and mini pro? do you think it wil drop anytime soon? i got my omnia at a high price only to see its price drop down in 3 month's time and eventually it got phased out early this year.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 13:50
WelL, that's normal for tech. Wait 6 months and the phone will be obsolete and will drop in price. Elm and x10 mini are fair in price. You'll see it drop in a few months when the newer models are coming up.
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 14:13
yeah i guess your right. in 6month's time these phones will be very cheap. the elm is selling brand new for only 9.5 to 10.9k, the mini pro ranges from 15k to 17k. i read your blog on the mini pro review. did you flash to a custom rom or did you just root the phone? great read btw.
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 14:48
I'm using the Elm, I play a lot of HD youtube videos using Wifi and it works very well as long as you have a good signal. I don't know why GSM Arena thinks it doesn't work, perhaps they don't know how to change the right settings, I did a 2 minute search of esato and that told me what to do.
The main problem with the Elm is the HSDPA reception, they've put the antenna at the bottom of the phone so you have to hold the phone upside down if you want hsdpa connection, but that's a common problem on phones. I can't comment on the Wifi antenna strength as I have nothing to compare it to.
If you're considering the X10 Mini/Pro, the antenna is at the top of the phone so you'll get better signal.
I see the cheapest you can buy the Elm in the Philippines is around £140
You can buy it from £100 here in the UK, (although I got mine new for £65 from esato )
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2010-09-26 14:53
Hello I'd just like to add, you can also watch youtube using Wifi on Hazel . Elm and Hazel suffers from having some light horizontal lines when taking lowlight pictures, (can be annoying at times) but otherwise camera is excellent at daylight. There's no fastport USB cable included Hazel is around 13k here in Philippines.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-26 14:54
I just root the phone when I need to use barnacle... Rooting caused a glitch before and I had to reflash my phone.

Everything else are just standard apps.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi