@eetab I HAVE
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-28 01:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
etaab
So i guess your friend accounts for the many more moving from Symbian to Android? Go through all the major forums: Howardforums, Symbian Freak, Dailymobile, even All About Symbian, Mobile-Review, Engadget etc... the amount moving from Symbian to Android is incredible and majority are sticking with it.
I could always talk about many of my closest friends moving from Symbian s60s to Blackberrys, but this isnt a true reflection of whats happening is it? As the largest growth is in Android, again many on both forums and that i personaly know have had these issues in symbian, especialy freezes and reboots.
Glad you seem to have managed to have perfect symbian devices, as even Mr. Steven Litchfield and his gang at All About Symbian mention many of these whether in their blogs or blog comments, especialy the legendary battery-pull which they even worried about in the N8, as Nokia Symbians are famous for freezing which many got out of by pulling the battery, now they wont know that with the N8 they'll have to hold the power key for a certain period before the power is cut, as its battery is built-in.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2010-09-28 00:40 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-28 01:45
In built battery on a Symbian phone now that's asking for it. But maybe Nokia is confident. I seen one video which showed the n8 3 months ago and they said it seemed zippy and stable. But that's not me sticking up for Symbian i just hope Nokia come good with this cos if not i think that will be Symbian's last hope.
Phone?? What phone??
echo.shane
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-28 01:53
they should drop nokia like its hot

this link is off topic but this is what im getting HTC DESIRE Z
Shane Bygrave - Photographer.Designer.Artist

I Memorable Moments T230, T68i, K310, P1i
I Xperia X10 with 2.3.3
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-28 10:23
symbian^3 will be a step between the lines.
it will like UIQ but with some updates to keep it modern. but i think will have to wait for symbian^4 to compete with android and ios.
i'm sure that a year from now many people will be switching back to symbian.
i can only hope nokia pushes forward, and even uses symbian to power a sort of tablet.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-29 16:03
@ Tsepz_GP - but that is just how the market works. People switch from platform to platform when someting new comes out. Now, if someone is smart enough to post repeatedly on a forum like those mentioned, then surely its because they know what OS their smartphone has ?

Most people do not however, they're all moving to Android and more importantly the iPhone 4 due to how pretty the phones interface is. I'd bet 99.9% of all mobile phone buyers are completely unaware of the battle between the competing operating systems. They're completely unaware of this discussion or what each OS is capable of.

A friend of mine recently bought a HTC Desire. I love that phone, i really do, even though i think its camera is poor. I asked him when he bought it why he did. He said because its nice to use and very user friendly. Then i asked his stepmother why she bought her iPhone 3GS. She said almost the same. My friend is an air traffic controller for the RAF, his step mother a nurse. Educated people both of them, but neither of them were aware of what OS their phones were running.

Its not that Android or Apple have a better OS imo, its just they're prettier to use. Like bart said, give it a year and see how people then switch back to Symbian.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-29 17:49
Yes, for the average consumer they are at 1st attracted by the look, but due to how well the GUI has been implemented they then WANT to do more, and thats where apps and web browsing come in. I could take both my parents for example, both have had tons of smartphones including 9300, N70, N80, E61, E90, HTC S710, HTC TyTN etc... both now use a combo of a BB for work and iPhone for everything else, with all those smartphones all they did was Calls, Text, and use them as alarm clocks as well as email with the BBs, but due to how well the iPhones UI works they suddenly want to get data bundles and browse with their iPhones, they want to read eBooks, they want to use their iPhones to listen to music more, they want health apps, finance apps etc...its made them want to do more, and THATS why iOS and now Android are so great, due to this they attracted tons of developers, this then causes competition amongst them, that drives them to make better quality apps/games that even the average joe now wants, looks are there to simply attract them, and the support of apps/games etc...is there to keep them interested. So good luck to Symbian getting all those customers back
Their UIs are not just "pretty" and at this point theres realy nothing Symbian can do that Android cant, so you win in both look and functionality
suresh86
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-29 18:30
My thought on forthcoming symbian OS is that, it is no doubt declining in terms of UI, and apps. The symbian operating system seems itself too heavy on a device, and is prone to instabilities, freezing etc etc. Even the 5,6 year old SE A100 UI is better than S60v3 FP2 UI. And believe me, because i have owned both the phones. Now i am looking forward to SE Aino or W995.

However we have to see the reviews of n8 for the verdict.
[ This Message was edited by: suresh86 on 2010-09-29 17:31 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-29 19:35
@ Tsepz_GP - how is that a win for functionality ? the iPhone 4 has utter useless Bluetooth implementation, as do most of the Android phones with the minor exception of the X10 as you suggested SE cleverly implemented a proper Bluetooth software.

How is the iPhone 4 or any Android phone as good as the Satio's camera ? lets not mention the N8's. How great is Google maps ? very good if you have a true unlimited data bundle, but not very good if you do not as you're forced to download maps on the move.

I have absolutely no fanboy based bias towards any company or OS. Therefore i can see the advantages of dumping Symbian for iOS or Android. But they still lack such simple functions you'd expect in a modern day phone. I mean lets take the iPhone 4 for example. Now im not an expert at all, but when i recently read that before you can use the phone you have to register it with iTunes, i was in total shock. What idiot thought that up. I always thought a phone could be started up and used to its complete functionality specified the moment you remove it from the packaging.

Dont get me wrong, i love all mobile phones, well except for Blackberries which are IMO a waste of time, i love the iPhone how it looks, its feel in the hand and its brilliant resolution screen. I love the Galaxy S and i like Android alot. But they all still lack hardware and software characteristics that make a good phone worthwhile buying.

But i do think you're wrong. I agree that by creating a pretty and slick OS is a good thing and has opened up new areas of the market for app creation and software rivalry between developers and the OS manufacturer. I do agree that by offering these new and fun services and apps the mobile industry has evolved for the better, but again that does not make them a better OS. You have proven my point entirely without even realising it. Prior to owning iPhones, your friends used single phones. Now, they find themselves using their iPhone but also having to carry around a second phone to carry out all the other tasks their iPhones cannot.

You should have advised them to get a Symbian device prior to purchase. At least with Symbian you get a chunk of everything. I cannot think of a single useful function that Symbian does not support in one way or another, but lots that Android or iOS simply cannot.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-29 21:38
Etaab
You seem to have very conveniently ignored the WORK part, they had to get BBs for work as their companies use BB's services.
Camera has nothing to do with OS, we are talking OS here, the Moto XT720 seems to have a good camera to put against Satio and N8, but again this has nothing to do with the actual OS, as i could then come back with RAM, ROM, CPUs, screen size and res of Androids etc...and i doubt Symbians would win any of that except errm...Camera.
Its a pity about Gmaps, although i havent found it much of a problem as it does everything quicker than Ovi Maps, and seems to be far more updated and accurate. Yes its great Ovi Maps can work offline but its lock time, accuracy, UI, maps etc...are totaly behind Gmaps.
I dont love any OS or manufacturer, i enjoy using my X10 and Android, but im not loyal, come 2012 if WP7 on a certain Samsung is appealing il jump to that, if Meego on some Nseries Nokia is appealing il get that etc...
Yes offering good app,games and services make them great OSs as at the end the day they work and work very well, they make the user want to do more with their smartphone, isnt this the whole point of mobile computing?
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-30 17:44
Conveniently ignored the work part ? you were the one who said they've gone from using quality smartphones to iPhone 4s plus a BB. So prior to buying iPhones, they used one phone. Or is that wrong of me to say that ? Go on, be honest !

Of course Android would win in the bigger specs department, because it needs them. If the Galaxy S had the same specs as my Satio, Android wouldnt run on it. Hardware specs are pretty irrelevant, they're dependant on the OS's needs.

As a matter of opinion, im sorry but Google maps are good, but they're terrible compared to Ovi maps. Updated more ? i dont think so, my place of work has been listed on Google maps for years in a completely wrong street. On Ovi maps, its there pinpoint accurate.

Also the A61 ringroad in Sheffield city centre where im currently living is up to date on Ovi maps, on Google maps they've not even taken into account the new road which was built well over a year ago !

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-30 22:06
They had BBs before the iPhones as both their companies use BB services, my dad had a E90 and 8310Curve, as i keep saying, the BBs are due to work.
The Satio would run Android just fine, probably better than S60v5, an example is the Motorola Milestone, 256mb RAM, same CPU as the Satio, but underclocked to 550mhz yet it runs far better overall
And you proved my point about camera, its hardware, nothing to do with Android itself.
Using my 5800 and X10 (Ovi Maps vs. Gmaps) side-by-side ive found Gmaps loads more accurate, and yes updated more, havent found any issues with the areas i go to using Gmaps, with some street name/area name changes here in Jhb, Gmaps seems more up to date, as for accuracy its more accurate in e.g. turn offs, traffic circles etc... Ive had quite a few occassions where i missed a turn due to Ovi telling me to turn just after passing the turn off, it seems to be a few metres off.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-09-30 22:39
Again i'd have to put that down to regional differences. Ovi maps seems to work near damn faultless for me on my old N95 8gb and its nowhere near as good as the latest touch versions. Even with cell tower assistance off, i can get a GPS lock within seconds.

Even if someone managed to port Android to the Satio and get it working stable i doubt it would be very good. The lower screen resolution and resistive touch screen of the Satio wouldnt suit the speed of which Android's UI flies along at.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-30 22:42
@Tspez_GP do you manage to ype out your recent long posts on your X10??
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-09-30 22:56
etaab
Maybe it is due to regional diffs, but ive found Gmaps far better, Ovi Mapps is realy good i cant deny that at all, but Gmaps generaly works better overall, well IMO from my experience with both latest Ovi Maps and Gmaps.
Android supports lower res,apps would just need to be optimized to run in 640x360,point is Satio's hardware would run it fine, its been ported to both the HD2 and Nokia N900,and seems to run okay on both, and a resistive display just requires pressure, theres a ZTE Android that has a resistive that seems to run just fine.
Bono
I use the t9 keyboard in HTC_IME Mod keyboard and i manage just fine, typing on the X10 is a breeze as the capacitive display just requires lite taps, so i type quickly without realising how much ive written lol,i just keep going.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic