Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > SE dropping symbian

Author SE dropping symbian
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-07 09:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Tsepz_GP Is fine bud - you got your point Galaxy S is the best . . . and the N8 RULES
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 10:28
At the rate Android is developing I feel that Symbian will NEVER catch up.

Android is now beginning to be used in many more devices than mobile phones, it is already in TVs and tablets and simply because of this, the possibilities of what you will be able to do with your Android phone will be almost endless.

Nokia's OS should have been rebuilt from scratch, as someone posted earlier.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 12:50

On 2010-10-07 10:28:53, goldenface wrote:
Android is now beginning to be used in many more devices than mobile phones, it is already in TVs and tablets and simply because of this, the possibilities of what you will be able to do with your Android phone will be almost endless.

I don't follow your logic. So that your TV or tablet is running Android means endless possibilities for your phone? To do what? Sound like you're talking about the Sumsing Turbo 3000 Xi
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 13:00
LMAO!

I'm talking about interconnected devices sharing Android Apps. Google TV will have Android applications developed for it once the developer community get into gear.

link

We've seen other examples such as the 'send to phone' feature on Google Chrome.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 14:26
Yep, exciting times ahead for Android, amazing how quickly its moved, looking at it at this time last year, the best you could get was a HTC Hero, its apps werent that exciting, games were few and none stood out, fast forward to now and you have the best specd smartphones and now Tablets running it, Gameloft bringing their best "HD" games to us, EA also showing quite an interest, a wealth of excellent apps, i wonder how it will be this time next year? Especialy with ARM A9-Cortex dual core CPUs on the way.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2010-10-07 13:29 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 20:33
@ Tsepz_GP - Not quite, so you're saying apps that work on a Galaxy S running 2.1 would work on a phone running 1.5 ? funny, ive tried it and they didnt.

As for games working on a N97 but not on a 5800, well thats pretty obvious. The N97 is a higher spec phone, apps created for it probably wouldnt work on a 5800. Thats not really supporting your claims. Symbian always has been staggered in its use across various devices just like Android, except with Symbian you tend to get apps where you can download them for any version of Symbian, be it the one running in the 5800 or the N97.

Sadly, Android developers tend to follow the most recent versions only regardless of what manufacturer made the device. Its almost as bad as meeting a Windows pc requirements when installing a game.

What you seem to call fact is simply opinions you have viewed across various forums. That in no way makes anything a fact. Forums are full of unhappy customers, the bigger majority of happy customers dont come to forums to say how happy they are - do they ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 21:08
etaab
Yes, Opera Mini is an example, it works across all Androids, Tweetdeck is another, originaly for 2.1 it got an update (x.97 i think it is) that adds 1.6 support, so that same OperaMini.apk or Tweetdeck.apk can run on 1.6 to 2.x without the dev having to make the same app over again for 1.6. Many apps have come out for 2.1 and then an update later they get 1.5/1.6 support, so its always just one app, when the dev has to fix bugs or add features he will just concentrate on one file, not multiple files.
Thats not completely true though as even among high-end Symbians running the same OS theres app issues, N97 and Satio for example, the N97 cant play certain games due to its low hardware, another would be DivX player, which works fine on my 5800 but tends to crash on the Satio i tried it on.
Those opinions are due to ACTUAL issues lol, like i.said N85/N79 users were left behind early, Nokia went on to issue a statement that they would give E71 users the update due to its popularity (something along those lines) so the older E71 got the Maps/Email update, while N85(more expensive and newer)and N79 are stuck on older ones.
Not all apps are remade, CorePlayer is still M.I.A in s60v5 for example, hopefuly S^3 will change that.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-07 23:18
What you describe works for Android works for Symbian also. Android apps are easily made for the OS, its the hardware limitations of each individual handset which matter more, exactly the same as Symbian. The difference is, Symbian developers do customise their apps to each device based on its specs. They require very little tweaking to get for example an app made for the N97 to work on a 5800 or lesser handset.

Its also very easy in recent years for developers to pack the installation software of a single app with each devices setup based on specification. Android and Symbian seem very similar in this way. Im not sure why you think they're so different.

I do agree though, that sometimes app developers are a little lazy and only support a certain set of Symbian handsets based on their hardware and what was back then known as feature pack updates. But then, that was Symbian of old. It not only stops there, the same applied to all operating systems used in any mobile device be it Windows or Palm.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-10-08 00:12
Im not denying it in Android, but from what im seeing the situation is better in Android than Symbian.
I do agree with your last point, but i could say the same especialy now with Android2 and in Android3 the situation will further improve as Google have realised how bad the situation may get and are now tightening up on the UI/hardware differences in Androids, i know you dont like him but Eldar points out some of whats going on in Android and its future in his latest spilkins: http://mobile-review.com/articles/2010/birulki-87-en.shtml
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-08 00:16
This debates one of the best
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-08 17:55
Next year will be an exciting time especially for me as my contract will be ready for renewal - bring on the new (free) phone i say. By this time next year Symbian 3 & 4, MeeGo, Android and iOS will all be much more matured than they all are now. Im kinda hoping Apple sort out the iPhone 5 with decent multitasking and proper Bluetooth implementation because then it might be worth my money.

Either that or hopefully HTC or another manufacturer will have a decent Android cameraphone that matches the N8's imaging capabilities.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-02-19 10:53

On 2010-10-08 17:55:27, etaab wrote:
Next year will be an exciting time especially for me as my contract will be ready for renewal - bring on the new (free) phone i say. By this time next year Symbian 3 & 4, MeeGo,... ...will all be much more matured than they all are now....

I have some bad news for you...
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-02-19 11:25
Ah, but haven't some of the Symbian workers broken away and are thinking of sticking with meego as their Plan B?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic