Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > I think I hate my new X10 mini pro.

12  Next
Author I think I hate my new X10 mini pro.
Eva-m00
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 21:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Problems, problems, problems folks.

Got my new phone today and have to say I'm really disappointed with it so far.

1. Bluetooth, after speaking to o2 it can only connect to other android phones, thus not being able to bluetooth my contacts over from my c902.

2. Settings. Why are there no detail connection settings, i can't select my internet profile and i am having problems connecting to the internet. It has rarely worked and when it did it takes ages to get going, pop the sim in the c902 all fine.

3. Omg. SE PC suite won't detect it and i cant use it as a modem. At the moment i just want to send it back. Any advice?
~Eva
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 21:26
Blame the Android version it's running and then blame for not updating it to a new version.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-16 21:31
sorry to hear that you're not happy with the mini pro.

Unfortunately, for your specific needs, I don't think Android is the way to go.

The bluetooth issue is android specific. The easiest way to do almost anything on an android phone is through gmail.

Nothing works well via direct connection (it does work, but not as seamlessly via Gmail)

For contacts, you have to export your old address book as a vcard file, then import it in Gmail.

Gmail is your master list. Once edited, this is what syncs with your Mini Pro.

Regarding your Internet settings... Is this wifi or 3G that you're having issues with? Did your provider set the phone up for you or is it an unlocked unit? can send you your Internet settings by remote via their website.

As a modem, again, this is android specific. You can root your phone and make it a wifi hotspot with barnacle wifi. This allows more than 1 device to connect to it as well.

I can see your frustration... And I wouldn't blame you if you return the phone. It may not be suited to your needs. Although I've never tried it as a modem, the Elm is a very good phone as well.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 21:42
Why don`t you just copy your contacts to the simcard on the c902 and put the simcard in the mini and copy to the phone ?
I`ve had no trouble connecting to the internett.
Eva-m00
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 22:36
jplacson, very nice answers there and just confirms that i'm going to get it collected next week and get summat else. Can you recommend a phone that connects to pc suite and uses bluetooth properly without limitations? I was thinking vivaz pro?
~Eva
mikekop
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 23:08
1: Bluetoothing the whole phonebook is not possible with current smartphone units, the old Symbian UIQ was able to do this though NOTE!: Not a issue, blame it on the OS! And NO, Vivaz cannot transfer the whole phonebook with BT either. Only non-smartphone can do this. Get W995 or maybe ELM if this is very important to you!
For now, to get the best use for bluetooth on Android phones, download app called Bluetooth File Transfer from Market. A new firmware is in the pipeline, Android 2.1, where some of this issues, if not all, will hopefully be solved.
For transfering contacts, see homepage, choose your phone-support-transferring contacts from old phone. You will be guided thru the process. (SonyEricsson SYNC).

2: Download and install PC Companion from SE homepage, connect your phone and let it update/reinstall the firmware (Support Zone). How old is your SIM-card? Not sure what you mean with "select your internet profile", if you are not switching between different operators/SIM-cards, all you need to select is 3G or GSM, and activate WiFi if you have access to a WiFi net.
Your phone should download internet settings when you start it for the first time, or after reinstalling the firmware.

PC Suite does not support Android. PC Companion is the way to go. As of today, Android does not have modem capabilitys. There are third-party apps that enables the phone to serve as a Wifi modem (tethering), but they have issues. Android 2.2 have WiFi tethering right out of box, but my guess is that we will never see 2.2 on X10 mini. My guess no.2 is that SE has backported this to 2.1, which is, as said, in the pipeline, week 38 has been mentioned by .

phonecrzy
Vivaz Ruby
PM
Posted: 2010-09-16 23:20
I hate how crappy Android is and how have ruined it more with there Xperia branding. Then you have networks like Orange and Vodafone ruining it even more. Note - don't buy a Android device.
Age is just a number.. Being 13 makes me no dumber than a wise old man
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-17 03:52

On 2010-09-16 21:42:43, rikken wrote:
Why don`t you just copy your contacts to the simcard on the c902 and put the simcard in the mini and copy to the phone ?

Cuz the SIM doesn't transfer all the data from one contact, nor does it transfer the photo.

I hate SIM contact storage. I've never kept a single number on my SIM since 2002.

vCard management is the best way to manage contacts...why Android and iOS don't support it OOTB is beyond me.

That being said, does have SE Sync. It's actually quite useful. It allows easy migration from all SE phones. I transferred my P1i contacts to it, then synced with my C702 (I use it for beach trips since it's waterproof)... then initially used that to sync with my X10 Mini Pro... but then since my Mini Pro is now my main phone... everything passes through Google Apps now.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-09-17 04:46
You can always sync your C902 phonebook with MyPhoneExplorer on your computer, and create a backup file. Then bluetooth the backup file from your computer to your X10 mini pro, it'll self install into your contacts automatically . It worked fine for my X10.
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-17 07:25
It's okay to hate, just don't bang it
Eva-m00
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-17 07:46
Where does the elm fit in against say a C905, which I loved before it unfortunately bit the dust. Specs, software, camera etc. I guess I want a suped up C905.
~Eva
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-17 07:57
hmm... then I would suggest checking out the Hazel instead. It's the closest to the C905, except the camera isn't as good.

The C905 has an 8MP w/ Xenon, the Hazel and Elm only have a 5MP w/ LED flash and no image stabilization.

All the other specs of the Elm and Hazel (sister phones w/ nearly identical specs) should trump the C905 though.

If the 8MP camera w/ xenon and stabilization are critical, then you might have to look at the Vivaz or something... that's if you want to stay within the family.

I personally like the Elm and Hazel phones. If the X10 Mini Pro had been delayed, I was in line for an Elm already as a replacement for my C702 since the Elm and Hazel are water resistant so they'd be good at the beach... OT: I still miss my R310s though. That was such a great weekend phone... a solid 5 days standby time, and serious waterproofing.
[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2010-09-17 06:57 ]
RandomCarpet
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-09-17 09:04
1. Export the whole notebook of your old phone to a vcard (.vcf) file using MyPhoneExplorer or other. Then install vcardIO on your x10 mini and import the vcf file with it.

2. You can manually edit internet connection settings:
Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile networks > Access Point Names > [Left HW Button] > New APN

3. There are apps that enable tethering in the market

Edit: vcardio can be downloaded from here
[ This Message was edited by: RandomCarpet on 2010-09-17 08:07 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-17 09:24
BTW, a note on the X10 Mini Pro (don't know if this applies to other Androids as well)... it works without the SIM... all functions that are not network dependent (like Wifi, GPS, etc) are all normal.

So you can setup your phone without the SIM first (cuz I've found 128K SIMs really f*** up this phone a lot) then when everything is done, insert your SIM to gain network access and setup your 3G/GPRS

And although vcard apps exist... I've found that once you reorient your way of handling your files and give total control to Gmail/Google Apps... things move a lot smoother.

If your existing phonebook contains all your contacts... export this vcard to your desktop. Then open Gmail Contacts on your browser and import the vcard file into your contact list. Edit it from there.

When your done, connect your X10 Mini via Wifi and enter your Google Accounts user/pw info then click sync. All calendar apps, contacts (inc photos) that are found on GMail Contacts are imported seamlessly into your X10 Mini.

I've found this a much easier process than using Bluetooth.

I rarely use Bluetooth now, instead rely on the common Dropbox folder that all my computers share.

I made a folder in Dropbox that's labeled X10. With subfolders like Music, Images, Apps, etc... any file I wanna send to my phone, I just drag from my desktop into the corresponding folder. When I open Dropbox on my phone, it's there already.

Since this is done over Wifi when I'm home, it's way faster than BT and works a lot smoother than BT ever did.

For card sharing... I've had to accept that Android doesn't quite work as well for sending vcards... so I've downgraded(?) to QR codes. Android seems to work much better with QR codes so I have a QR image of my vcard that I can display on my screen.
[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2010-09-17 08:25 ]
Eva-m00
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-19 11:46
Alright a few days have passed and all is forgiven! I absolutely love this phone, soon as the net was working I figured how to sync my contacts with google, no thanks to SE's frankly dire web sync application. I love how easy it is to sync gmail with the phone and even the timescape app is brilliant. I have to accept the loss of modem use but it's a small sacrifice from what is a truly great phone. Can you tell I am now a happy customer? lol- I'm typing this on the excellent mini pro keyboard right now!

Many thanks for the many excellent replies and support!
~Eva
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi