Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Android to compete with Symbian for No.1 spot in mobile OS market

Previous  123  Next
Author Android to compete with Symbian for No.1 spot in mobile OS market
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-21 04:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I can't see what Symbian has going for it as a platform which is the same or better than iOS or Android. Nokia's sales in the smartphone market will likely rely on repeat sales from current customers and lack of availabity of iPhone and Android models in some markets. Until Ovi starts getting the sort of patronage that Apple's App Store or Android Marketplace gets, Symbian will be on the decline.

I think it's inevitable that Android will overtake Symbian in smartphone sales.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-21 05:52
Android is finally mainstream. Who knows if it has the staying power its supposed to have; King of the hill isn't just about getting there but maintaining it: "I'm the One"!

Samsung, not Google, is doing what Apple has and getting better at it with the Galaxy Tab:
TV Show subscriptions
Movie subscriptions
encompassing the above into 1 media solution; shades of iTunes and building for the future.

Samsung has been scorned by Nokia MANY a times over and to be honest I'd be VERY happy if they can finally stick it to the finnish man-dem. Don't get me wrong Symbian is great and has survived doing what Android is doing now - but mostly by Nokia alone pushing the limits until their pockets got fat and they got lazy. This is turning around with N8, E7, C7 but they NEED to announce closer to actually shipping with final & acceptable firmware.

Don't get me started on OVI Store … even RIM is doing better with App World!

Don't be hallowing Google too much … before too long when they got us all too tightly wound around your finger; they'll be no better than Brainiac was to the Kryptons and make us $$pay for it one way or another:
* Google Search - the interconnector
* Google Apps & Docs - mostly free except for corporations (but its their DATA housed on those same servers with crawlers that scour the internet. I can see "leverage" used to arm-bind corporations for patronage or sell-out to their brankruptcy nightmares.
* Gmail, Google Googles, Android OS phones - all ever talking your personal data (me too I have 2 gmail accounts: Exchange being free is sweet & hooked) again to their servers & sold for data mining.
* soon enough - and if you watched season 1 of Galactica; the core explanation of a brain … you'll realize we're not too far off from having a form of Brainiac - doesn't have to be sentient per say but calculating enough to cause major issues to screw us. But hey that's just my foul little mind at work.

Truth be told … drug dealers always give you things for free, a little taste in the start (hard drugs) until you're hooked, don't bother looking for any other suppliers, and soon begin charging you and do you "solids" and come after you when pay time is up! (aka Stewie style ).

Meego or whatever linux Nokia settles on will be the true fighter to Android … but until they find a few major manufacturers willing to trust them again to partner the offering its a proprietary offer to consumers; and we're all learning quickly that just doesn't work: unless it does what we ALL want FAST, reasonably priced, and EASY & works! (Apple).

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-21 18:32
In all honesty I have gone off Android as quick as I got into it. I look forward to the new N8. Android has more annoying problems than anything I ever used I really hate it now
Phone?? What phone??
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-21 21:06

On 2010-09-21 18:32:32, Bonovox wrote:
In all honesty I have gone off Android as quick as I got into it. I look forward to the new N8. Android has more annoying problems than anything I ever used I really hate it now

Such as ....
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 01:19

On 2010-09-21 18:32:32, Bonovox wrote:

I feel that way about my iPhone now. Can't wait to upgrade but budget is too tight.
Shortlist is Dell Thunder, Xperia X10 and Nexus One in that order but considering a combination of T700 + iPad also.
I like the features and price of the Vivaz but the Symbian platform is just too limited to consider seriously. At the end of the day I'd be better off with the gorgeous but flawed iPhone 4 than the wannabee Vivaz.

A friend of mine recently replaced his PAYG Nokia N95 8GB with an iPhone 4 on contract. I had a quick look at it and the screen really is breathtaking as is the overall styling. It's one of those 'stare too long at it and you'll end up buying it' type devices just like the iPad (how do Apple do that?!?). The point is that he has now gone from being a wifi only surfer who doesn't recieve mobile email and uses very few symbian apps to a high ARPU customer with 3GB of monthly data to use and using many iOS apps. That's the difference between Android & iOS devices and the plans the come with, and Symbian & WM devices and the way they are percieved.
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-22 10:34
That's true, but you have also gotta work out the pricing in ratio, no way it costs anything near £600 to make an iPhone, or iPad either. But thats apple for you, they get what they get because of advertisment. They are constantly on telly and showing off their products, and i hate apple for this. They can actually get away with releasing an "updated" version of a phone which now has video and copy and paste. Sorry, but in my eyes I would be embarrassed to sell a phone without those things, its only half finished for gods sake
My K750 from years before had these things, but that's nothing to be proud of, they are always rushing and selling half finished products, and the newest iPhone and iPad have shown that, one you couldn't make a call with and the other the WiFi didn't work.
Come on apple, sort it
[ This Message was edited by: lukechris on 2010-09-22 09:36 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 15:20

On 2010-09-22 10:34:00, lukechris wrote:
That's true, but you have also gotta work out the pricing in ratio, no way it costs anything near £600 to make an iPhone, or iPad either. But thats apple for you, they get what they get because of advertisment. They are constantly on telly and showing off their products, and i hate apple for this. They can actually get away with releasing an "updated" version of a phone which now has video and copy and paste. Sorry, but in my eyes I would be embarrassed to sell a phone without those things, its only half finished for gods sake

My K750 from years before had these things, but that's nothing to be proud of, they are always rushing and selling half finished products, and the newest iPhone and iPad have shown that, one you couldn't make a call with and the other the WiFi didn't work.

Come on apple, sort it

So you're point is you don't like the iPhone?
The K750 is not a Symbian phone, not sure how it's relevant to the discussion. I stayed with feature phones because I found the P-series to be over-priced, under-featured, over-hyped pieces of you-know-what. That was confirmed by the arrival of the iPhone (and later, Android phones) which show what a smartphone can be when done right.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-22 16:07
All these expensive phones are made from something which is free,ATOMS
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-09-22 15:07 ]
Phone?? What phone??
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-22 17:16

On 2010-09-22 15:20:18, carkitter wrote:

On 2010-09-22 10:34:00, lukechris wrote:

Come on apple, sort it

So you're point is you don't like the iPhone?
The K750 is not a Symbian phone, not sure how it's relevant to the discussion. I stayed with feature phones because I found the P-series to be over-priced, under-featured, over-hyped pieces of you-know-what. That was confirmed by the arrival of the iPhone (and later, Android phones) which show what a smartphone can be when done right.

Nope, its Apple I don't like, I was just making a general point in reply to your comment .
theonedroid
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-09-28 05:37
android total agreement in such a short time to fill expectations on all terminals that fits ....
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2010-10-01 00:17
Hey Carkitter,

behave the P910i was a great phone and it was again my very first touch screen phone!
really enjoyed using it even though it was a big momma at the time but i never did experience any issues.

Nokia need to beef up there game Symbian is just so old now, ive come from N80's to N95's and X6s and back
then they were great but today they need change Nokia should actually team up with Google and do a
android device there the only company that hasn't really gone there yet!

Hmm iPhone, iPhone it came it won most of peoples hearts but I don't think it can to be frank keep upto date with all the latest tech today, as Luke said HTC are the best company at the moment for Android products so i would hope Android will become top dog eventually!

An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-01 00:34
For me now Android feels unpolished,messy & unfinished went off it very fast
Phone?? What phone??
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-10-01 13:04
It's still evolving. Further iterations will be more refined although the current version seems OK to me.
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-01 17:33

On 2010-10-01 00:34:13, Bonovox wrote:
For me now Android feels unpolished,messy & unfinished went off it very fast

WHY?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-01 20:42