Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia announced the X3 Touch and Type

Author Nokia announced the X3 Touch and Type
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-08-18 03:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nokia today announced the Nokia X3 Touch and Type mobile phone. It is the first model from nokia having the combination of a touch display and a 12-button keypad
Esato News

In addition, the Nokia X3 Touch and Type is running on Series 40 which are Nokia's mobile phone operating system for entry level devices. The Nokia X3 Touch and Type is for those who are used to typing text with one hand quickly. Nokia must have done some tweaks to the S40 operating system, as input via the screen requires larger selectable elements. As you can see from the illustration picures below, the X30 Touch and Type is missing the usuall navigation key located directly below the screen. Instead we have four main keys for quick access to calls, messaging, music player and end call/power off key. The display is 2.4 inch large which is the same size as the now retired Sony Ericsson G700 touch phone with number keys. I am sure the user interface has improved a lot since 2008 when the G700 was hot, and I think the release of a mobile phone with a combination of a small touch screen and the usual number keys is a clever move by Nokia. We have no information about the CPU powering the Nokia X3, but it is most likely a step up from older S40 devices as touch screen user interface requires more animation on screen and therefore more processing power. I am sure the CPU powering the device is up to the task.

Most touch screen phones available today also has the ability to install downloadable applications. Apple's App Store, Android's Market or even the upcoming Bada platform from Samsung will be competing for developers for their platform. Nokia is no exceptino so they are offering free and paid applications and games for S40 devices for the X3 Touch and Type from the Nokia Ovi store.

Nokia X3 Touch and Type main features

- Weight: 78 gram
- Dimentions: 106 x 48 x 9.6 mm
- 2.4 inch resistive touch display, 240 x 320 pixel resolution TFT, 262000 colours
- WiFi
- 3G and HSPA
- SMS, MMS, Email
- 50 MB memory, expandable up to 16 GB with microSD card
- 5 megapixel camera. Video recording QVGA at up to 20 fps
- Battery: 17 days standby and 5 hours talktime
- FM radio
- Bluetooth, USB and 3.5 mm AV connector
- Opera Mini web browser
- Operating system: Series 40 6th edition
- Twitter and Facebook applications

Nokia X3 Touch and Type

Nokia X3 Touch and Type

Nokia X3 Touch and Type

Nokia X3 Touch and Type comes in five coulour variant and should be available in selected markets in 3rd quarter this year.

mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-18 07:33
Nokia has just revealed its X3-02 handset, which does the unthinkable and marries a relatively standard 16-button keypad with a 2.4-inch QVGA touchscreen.

This is the first sentence of Engadget's post about this phone. But they're totally wrong - maybe they've forgotten G700 and G900 by SE.
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 05:35
@media: maybe they didn't have them.

The design is very impressive, at least for me. The specs are really nice and this could be a good backup phone for any out there. The 20fps is a let down though.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
snoFlake
W800
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 12:51
Exactly had a really good idea in the G series and like so much at that moment just let it go. I was seriously planning on getting one apart from concerns about the lame hardware they brought it on (3g only and rubbish proccy etc. stuff that beset so many SE smartphones of that time) and my suspicions that they weren't going to invest in UIQ and I was going to end up with a dead end OS.

Another lead like touchscreen OS and phones abandoned by only for someone else to pick up. Let's hope they've learned though what their future plans are I don't know as a whole bunch more manufacturers including Dell (and their economies of scale) are lining up for Android releases. Now SE doesn't have their own platform to they have fall back plans outside of Android? They certainly haven't invested anything (time or effort) in Symbian recently so are they going to rely on MS and how are they going to differentiate themselves from every other 'Droid manufacturer etc. They're not alone in this and it's easy to see many of them turning into yet another box manufacturer and is Google the best organisation to be in control of an open OS, wouldn't they be more comfortable if it was fully Open OS? Tough decisions.
Aivar
T68i
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 13:32
One of the most important feature for me is the network capability. As I can read from Nokia website about this phone:

System:
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100

Seems like 8 different version for one phone! That's impressive!

Maybe some of us remember when GSM phones supported just 900 Mhz. And then were introduced two-band phones working in GSM 900 and also in GSM 1800!
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-08-19 14:43
I'm not going to lie, this might make me buy a Nokia, even if I'm resistant in doing so. The form factor is exactly what I want, and knowing Nokia, a better one might as well be coming soon, so if in 2 years it starts feeling old, I can likely replace it with a newer model.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 01:17
I really hate the design it's ugly that keypad is just a no no It reminds me of them old days when Nokia went wacky with their designs & made really odd keypads. I don't like where they stick the * & # keys
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-08-21 00:18 ]
Phone?? What phone??
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 07:24
Oh no. The design is good looking. I don't line Nokia because of it, but this one is way different.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-21 19:05
It reminds me of this old Nokia 7610 from years ago with the mad keypad. But anyway I wish for the first S40 touch they could have upped the specs a bit cos I do like Nokia they have made some cracking handsets. Perhaps higher res bigger screen like the Symbian touch ones,better frame rate for video,capacitive screen too. Even Samsung is now putting capacitive in their lower end models like the Monte for instance. I have not seen a 2.4 inch touch screen as yet the smallest I smallest I seen is 2.6 inch for touch.
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi