Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC makes it official, Android 2.2 roll-out for HTC Desire starting this weekend

1234  Next
Author HTC makes it official, Android 2.2 roll-out for HTC Desire starting this weekend
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 20:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The Android 2.2 (FroYo) update for HTC Desire will start rolling out across Europe this weekend. As well as including the complete set of Android 2.2 features, the update will contain a few special additions of our own through the latest iteration of HTC Sense. The update will provide 720p video capture, HTC’s App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, and improved multi-language keyboard. Also, through the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.

HTC Desire users will be notified that the over-the-air update is available to download when their phone automatically checks for software updates. The update won’t delete any of the phone’s content. However, due to the size of the update, we would advise using a WiFi connection to download it wherever possible to avoid additional data charges.

This update will initially roll out to unlocked HTC Desire handsets. Operator specific versions of the update are undergoing testing and we expect to make them available in several weeks’ time.

Android and Me
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 20:38
Good news for Desire users!
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
sudhakarvytl
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 20:46
Good support to customers from HTC .
[ This Message was edited by: sudhakarvytl on 2010-07-30 19:53 ]
k750i , k790i , W850i, p990, w910i , k850i, X10
miguel82
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 20:56
X10 and desire came out on the same time... one with android 1.6 and the other with 2.1 (this already leaves sonyericsson way behind) and now desire gets the update to 2.2 first than X10 to 2.1 .... Shame on you Sony! It seems that these days if you want to keep up to date (both software and hardware) you need to buy a samsung or a htc phone! Nokia is going down in the high end phones and the only thing that saves SE is their designs
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-07-30 23:09
Samsung Galaxy to get this soon too
Phone?? What phone??
volvoman
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-31 01:01
Well I have now had my X10 changed for a Desire. The loss of the extra phone memory is far out weighed by the excellent htc sense live wallpapers, standard widgets, and more. I also prefer the design of the Desire to the X10. Sorry SE but you have along way to go before you can come even close to htc. And before I get shot down for flaming SE, I have been along time SE and Ericsson before that user. Now not all the the fault with the X10 on voda was SE's fault, allot of it was to do with the voda branding, and yes I could have had it debranded, but why should I have to loose my warranty because of the branding, so challenged voda on this, and it took very little for them to agree to exchange the handset for any other of my choice, and by a stroke of luck, voda had just had a delivery of black none amloed screen Desires. My son has the desire with the amloed screen, and the two side by side are very hard to tell the difference.

I for one am happy now, but also disappointed I had to loose my X10.
C702i x 2, T650i, K850i, W850i, K810i, K800i, tomtom GO 910, Brodit proclips.

Toney_Ericsson
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-31 01:12
My next device is going to be a HTC, bollocks to Sony Ericsson.
"OPEN SOURCE REQUIRES OPEN PEOPLE" Sent from my Quietly Brilliant HTC.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-07-31 01:48
Congrats to the Desire users.
As for the X10, SE made it clear that it would come with 1.6 and that the X10 will get the OS update later in the year, those that are complaining knew this and still took the plunge and bought X10 over the Desire, so dont blame SE. Personaly im happy with my X10, i had the clear option of getting a Desire ,its actualy slightly cheaper than X10, but i chose X10 knowing what i was getting into and i can say i dont regret it,im happy for you Desire users,but i simply couldn't bring myself to liking it, il be patiently waiting for X10's update,i have a great feeling about it.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-31 04:57

On 2010-07-31 01:48:42, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Congrats to the Desire users.
As for the X10, SE made it clear that it would come with 1.6 and that the X10 will get the OS update later in the year, those that are complaining knew this and still took the plunge and bought X10 over the Desire, so dont blame SE. Personaly im happy with my X10, i had the clear option of getting a Desire ,its actualy slightly cheaper than X10, but i chose X10 knowing what i was getting into and i can say i dont regret it,im happy for you Desire users,but i simply couldn't bring myself to liking it, il be patiently waiting for X10's update,i have a great feeling about it.

A very objective opinion...
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2010-07-31 05:01
Maybe the hardware similarities with the nexus one played a role in this 'early' froyo version for the desire. It seems HTC is becoming the 'king' in android devices. I know the samsung galaxy s is ahead in terms of hardware but it looks too much like an iphone copy-cat lol and I'm sure HTC will catch up in no time.
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-31 10:26
Get in there
volvoman
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-31 13:29
I have nothing against the X10 at all, in fact I love the phone, but the delays that SE have in bringing the update, are just too long. Yes I knew the update would be coming, but had not thought it would be only to 2.1 after everyone else is already enjoying 2.2, and not far off getting 3.0. Maybe if SE had gone like others for a more stock android O/S, then things may well have been different. Timesacpe and mediascape are ok, but just that ok. htc's freinds stream and sense work soo well, and faster than SE's effort. Other small things like not being able to create playlists on the phone, which is soo straight forward on the htc.

I now have both the Desire and the wildfire, and has been mentioned by htc, the Desire will receive things the wildfire has such as the updated info when a caller rings, the app sharing service, and 720p HD video recording.

So for me at the moment htc is a no brainer I am afraid, SE take too long to get it right, when others get it right from the get go, and then just make things better and better.

SE need to take a long hard look at the likes of htc, not apple, they have a market all of their own, SE are competing with htc motorola and samsung, get it right with them, forget the iphone, those that go for the iphone will not even consider the others anyway.
C702i x 2, T650i, K850i, W850i, K810i, K800i, tomtom GO 910, Brodit proclips.

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-07-31 14:27
damn, I sold my Desire last week after holding on to it for a couple more weeks than planned in the hope that froyo would come available sooner.

Was interested to check out the wifi hotspot feature and the flash and Chrome javascript and other supposed performance enhancements so keen to hear some feedback while waiting to see what HTC bring as a follow up to the Desire
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-07-31 18:10
@Toney_Ericsson perhaps a change of username would be good then if it's bollocks to When I swapped my X10 for the Samsung Galaxy I nearly went for the Desire. I just hope now Samsung stick to their promise in September for 2.2 @SloopJohnB it does not matter if it looks like an iphone it's what's inside & if it works that counts imo
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-07-31 17:16 ]
Phone?? What phone??
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-08-01 00:22
Any news on this? Have you got the update?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi