Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Why the iPhone is the best cam phone on the market

Previous  123  Next
Author Why the iPhone is the best cam phone on the market
harry20larry
C905 Gold
PM
Posted: 2010-07-14 00:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think I didn't clarify my point clearly. This is my humble opinion, I am not forcing it onto you, I am sharing it...
I have never met a person with a compact or a cam phone that actually uses pictures taken on it for stuff you would use a DSLR for, please say if you have. My argument is, that most photos these days end up on social network. Whilst I am definitely not saying the iPhone has the best quality sensor on the market, I am saying that I believe that it does the best job out any cam phone or compact of taking good quality photo, then processing it, then uploading to which ever site.
Of course I know that other phones can do this, but they come nowhere near to the iPhone regards how they do it, I have owned both, I can honestly say the iPhone is so far ahead of anything. The proof of the pudding here is the fact that the iPhone is the second most used camera on flickr, behind the rebel. And it is also the most used phone to upload photos to facebook. These must say something?

Although the xenon flash on my dslr is very good, my experience with the xenon flash on my SE phones was terrible. Pictures had dust reflection in them, anything as close 3m was flash burnt. I am not saying led does any better, but I think there is still much work needed to be done to make mobiles shoot good photos in the dark.

Just my two cents...
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-07-14 03:11

On 2010-07-14 00:02:52, harry20larry wrote:
My argument is, that most photos these days end up on social network. Whilst I am definitely not saying the iPhone has the best quality sensor on the market, I am saying that I believe that it does the best job out any cam phone or compact of taking good quality photo, then processing it, then uploading to which ever site.

Okay then, there you go. That argument I can understand. Software wise Apple might be the best then.

Regards
skblakee
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-07-14 05:09
you should look at this thread : http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=195111

even the mini produce amazing pictures
[ This Message was edited by: tranced on 2010-07-14 04:43 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-14 11:52

On 2010-07-14 00:02:52, harry20larry wrote:
Of course I know that other phones can do this, but they come nowhere near to the iPhone regards how they do it, I have owned both, I can honestly say the iPhone is so far ahead of anything. The proof of the pudding here is the fact that the iPhone is the second most used camera on flickr, behind the rebel. And it is also the most used phone to upload photos to facebook. These must say something?

No, all it says is that the iphone eco system supports upploading to social sites better than other handsets. It says nothing about the camera's abilitites. I've been uploading photos to facebook and flickr ever since the SE K750, but the C905 and onwards can be classed as fair dinkum compact cameras. The iphone has always had a pretty mediocre camera, so now iphone 4 has fixed this but it hasn't put it in front of other flagship cameraphones - it has just narrowed the gap.

Although the xenon flash on my dslr is very good, my experience with the xenon flash on my SE phones was terrible. Pictures had dust reflection in them, anything as close 3m was flash burnt. I am not saying led does any better, but I think there is still much work needed to be done to make mobiles shoot good photos in the dark.

Just my two cents...

No, the xenon flash on the K800 was pretty mediocre (the K750 LED flash did a better job), but the xenon flash on C905 works really well up to 3 metres or so, and the Satio flash is better than many compacts, even illuminating subjects 5 metres distant or more.
kay188
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 15:39
The iPhone fail, sorry, I mean 4, is a 5MP camera phone... while the current standard for camera phones are 8MP, and slowly becoming 10MP, and 12MP.

Take a look at the Japanese phones released by DoCoMo, which are released by Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, NEC.
They're ALL 8MP and ABOVE.

The quality that comes from Sharp phones such as the SH-01A that started it all, is beyond anything the iPhone fail can ever capture.
Those phones have CCD sensors which are superior to CMOS in digital cameras.

Remember.. leading market is 12MP now.. where as the iPhone fail, is STILL a 5MP camera.

Hell, even video calling is SO 2008. I could do that with my K850.
Even the Japanese phones have had video calling since... EVER.

You can't say the iPhone fail is the best camera phone you've used.

Clearly you haven't used any better.

My 2c. Not to flame you.
Lollylost100
HTC One
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-09-27 17:24
Megapixels aren't the only aspects of quality, because I am sure that many 5mp mobile phone cameras can take better shots than 8 or even 12mp. This is because it's hard to cram all 12 million pixels into such a small sensor, therefore reducing quality of shots.

Satio (12mp) v C901 (5mp) comparison: http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobile/talk/?prod_id=3294&tid=4302066
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 17:52
I agree with Lollylost, it's also the case with C905 vs C901.
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-09-27 20:01
+1
Phone?? What phone??
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-09-28 11:22
Iīve been using it (iphone 4), and itīs one of the top camera phones for sure, unlike some haters here want to believe...

This guys explains it better

http://forums.dpreview.com/fo[....]sp?forum=1017&message=35873345
[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2010-09-28 10:25 ]
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
fairen
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-10-20 02:10
We all have different opinions. I for one think iPhone's camera, although only 5MP, produces some of the best pics I've ever seen but I honestly find Nokia N8's cam quality more superior (obviously, with the 12 MP and all) and I am actually thinking of getting one from timtechs hopefully before the end of the month.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-20 09:13
Having had iphone 4 i think yes the camera is good but its by no means the best or amazing. I find the colours unrealistic very over saturated. Also it lacks sharpness even zooming in one step you see no detail at all its all grainy. I know it does not suffer from over processing but nothing is natural in the pictures at all.
Phone?? What phone??
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-21 21:42
^^^ I think you're right, bono. After looking at your uploads in the gallery I can only agree that the iPhone 4 camera stinks. And I was so close to buying one myself. Hello N8, here I come!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-21 21:52
This pic I took recently(I no longer have iphone4 for various reasons)What this pic shows is not what my eyes could see. Totally over the top colours & as you know iphone 4 has no settings so it was auto. It's almost an oil painting
Original
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-10-21 20:54 ]
Phone?? What phone??
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-10-21 22:00
I see you have fresh uploads from other camphones. Why not shoot a couple of comparisons?
davidsic
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2010-10-21 22:06
Sometimes it's oil painting in strong sunlight but not everytime. It's the iPhone man, not a dedicated cameraphone !

[ This Message was edited by: davidsic on 2010-10-21 21:07 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi