Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > iPhone 3GS vs X10 Mini Pro vs. something else?

Author iPhone 3GS vs X10 Mini Pro vs. something else?
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 19:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-06-20 19:33:53, Mano82 wrote:
And how much you pay for iPhone, you don't get a half of it

Is that so? So why are most iPhone owners still happier than owners of phones from HTC and other makers?
iPhone Grabs Top Rank in Smartphone Satisfaction Survey
Pitzon
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 20:11

On 2010-06-20 16:31:38, tamagochi wrote:

On 2010-06-20 09:26:29, Pitzon wrote:

I just went back to 3Gs after using the x10 for 2 months and man it feels like im home again. My life got a bit funnier again

User experience is MUCH different on x10 mini from x10 in areas that count: speed, intuitive use, flow. I think you would be surprised if you had actually tried the phone.

Yes ofcourse i have tried one out. Very cute and snappy little phone but i know myself so i can say that i would get bored of it in around 2-3 days i think. The screen is a bit to tiny for me and as said before i donīt like Android "yet"

I dont get into that debate more but i have tried them both enough to figure out wich suits me and my needs best and makes me happiest. Itīs up to everyone to figure that out themselves i guess
Mano82
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-20 22:06

On 2010-06-20 19:52:17, AbuBasim wrote:
Is that so? So why are most iPhone owners still happier than owners of phones from HTC and other makers?
iPhone Grabs Top Rank in Smartphone Satisfaction Survey

iPhone 4 is cheaper than iPhone 3G at launch. Does it mean that iPhone 3G is better than iPhone 4? Now if someone buy iPhone 4 & pay a reasonable price, we can say he got what he paid for. But iPhone 3G was so expensive & is not that good as iPhone 4.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-20 22:35
That's probably because the number of phones made and sold. Each maker will set the price to make sure they recover the development cost and to make a profit. The more you sell the better the price will be for the buyer.
Mano82
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-21 00:23

On 2010-06-20 22:35:39, AbuBasim wrote:
That's probably because the number of phones made and sold. Each maker will set the price to make sure they recover the development cost and to make a profit. The more you sell the better the price will be for the buyer.

But we were not talking about manufactures' profit, we were talking about users what they got for the price they paid
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-06-21 06:06
No comments on the survey which showed that iPhone owners are happier than owners of any other smartphone? How come the Android phone makers don't reach higher? In case you didn't click through from Wired's article, here is the chart - and notice how HTC falls below average:

(Source)

If I buy a phone and am not satisfied then it won't matter that it is cheaper than a better phone, will it? I would only have the feeling that I got what I paid for. Pity I couldn't afford the better one.

If the Android phones were identical in price to the iPhone, would it still sell as well as it does today?
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-06-21 05:18 ]
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-21 07:02

On 2010-06-20 00:16:01, iamstevie wrote:
Hey all

Have had this debate in my head for last couple of months, figured I should just post on here and see other people's thoughts...

What would you do? Keep iphone 3GS or get the new Mini Pro? Or maybe even get another (android) handset!?! My ideal features would be:
[ This Message was edited by: iamstevie on 2010-06-19 23:18 ]

A big part of the smartphone's performance is tied to the ISP/telecom provider's quality specially since Net access/services are a very big part of the phone's feature set. If you're living in a country where the IPhone is tied to a particular provider & that's provider's 3G/HSPA coverage for your area is excellent and it's customer support is satisfactory then stick with the IPhone & upgrade to the 4G.

On the other hand if your current IPhone service provider sucks then seriously consider an Android phone&have the best of both worlds - an (excellent) smartphone & provider of your choice.
iamstevie
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2010-07-16 14:55
Just sold my iphone for Ģ300! Which is suprisingly good

Now I gotta decide if I should go for the Mini Pro or not...!?!
[ This Message was edited by: iamstevie on 2010-07-16 13:56 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-07-16 14:58
I got myself an non-pro-mini, which serves me well.
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2010-07-16 13:59 ]
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-07-16 16:34
it's a cute phone. Go for the pro if you're a heavy texter.Thanks
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-20 10:32

On 2010-06-20 19:03:26, iamstevie wrote:
Unless I'm completely the odd one out in this world, I'm worried I'll feel the same!!!

Nah, if you end up liking it that much then what's the problem? But if you are like me, I've tried iphone but I haven't magically been converted into an Apple fanboy - I prefer my Satio big time, and it's a dirty old (shh, don't say anything!) s60 phone!

But then I've always been a fan of SE UI design and always miss it when I have phone's from other manufacturers. SE UI's are the most functional and efficient to use in my view. (I know s60 is not SE's design, but the UI tweaks from SE make the OS stand out from your run of the mill Nokia)

My other big fear, is that the Mini Pro just won't keep up with the rest of the Android world... the UI is so heavily customised, I don't know if it will suddenly stop being a good phone in one years time.

It doesn't matter what phone you buy, something better will always be just around the corner. If you like the phone now then buy it.
rjs675
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 19:40

On 2010-06-20 19:03:26, iamstevie wrote:
Wow I really opened up a debate here lol.

I think everyone has addressed my issues for/against trading so far. Almost everyone I know that has an iPhone or has had one in the past, has said it's been their favourite phone ever. Any other phones just doesn't feel as good afterwards.

That is strange, pretty much everyone I know who has/had an iphone has said it is really cool, but for phoning and messaging it wasn't as good as the phones they had before
epdm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-07-20 22:55

On 2010-06-20 15:34:39, Mano82 wrote:
Who will win: Android or iPhone?

1. Android runs many apps at same time

2. Everything on the screen all the time

3. Androids store is user-driven

4. Better Notice system with Android

5. Android lets you select the phone yourself

6. You can install your own ROMs on Android

7. Change layout fast with Android

8. Android deal with Google and social networks

All this iPhone can only by using third-party applications, and is not close to making it as stylish as the Android performing.

9. Android gives you more for your money

If you have ever considered buying an iPhone, then you probably noticed the price. Even the half-old iPhone 3G is pretty expensive, and the newer 3GS is considerably more expensive.

It can be difficult to compare conditions across the Atlantic, but the fact is that most Android phones are available for a fraction of the price you usually must pay for an iPhone.

(Source: VG.no)

Oh boy. Droid fanboys and iPhone fanboys.

Well let's compare to the really unpopular and oldest smartphone OS. Windows Mobile 6.1 (yeps, the ugly one).

1) Windows Mobile is always been able at multitasking. It's first incarnation in 2000, then called Pocket PC 2000 was able to multitask.

2) Windows Today screen also has everything on a single screen. It shows in the most simple and most unobtrusive way all relavant information (in a simple vertical list). From unread messages, appointements, tasks, wifi, bluetooth etc... In many cases you can toggle the state of things (like BT and WIFI) directly from this screen without returning to the settings-screens. There are real-time pop-up bubles (or notification icons on the top-bar) of incomming calls, missed calls, SMS messages etc.

Additionally there are many today customisation-program (from independant 3rd party developpers sold directly to end-users) which shows even more widgets, clocks and so on...

3) all this "store" or Marketplace is pure evil. It nothing more than a control mechanism from either apple or google to either enforce censorship (apple) or push advertisment (google) or both. Trust me. At one time in the future google will start to bombard these android phones with adds. They just keep a low profile for now until there's enough marketsaturation to make this scheme worthwile.

Windows Mobile works like the PC world. Third party developpers have a change to directly deal with customers or with assorted retail channels. Just like with regular PC software. This allows more freedom for small indie developpers.No censorship or dictators who decide whether your app is suited for the "market". Customers have the full freedom to buy/download/install the app.

4) Notifications are handled very well with WM since 2000. With pop-ups, icons on the bar, audio and recently vibration and LED's. All user selectable from the settings screens (sounds & notifications). This is an integral part if PPC/WM since it's beginning.

5) There's a bewildering choice of hardware. Today WM runs on 3.5" QVGA (or WQVGA) upto massive 4" screens with 800x480 pixels (HTC HD2). With several ARM-based acrhitectures upto 1GHz snapdragons cpus. That's what I call choice!

6) Sure, but you can't do it easy. You have to "root" the device. This is nothing less than "jailbreaking" in Apple termininology. There's an astonishing community who creates custom ROM's for WM. Far more than you have for android. These ROM's are very straightforward to install in Windows XP. Download, doubleclick, plug in the WM-device and turning on while pressing one or 2 keys.

7) The same is true for that ugly, yet very functional, WM6.1. In fact while Google with there next releases will make sure that 3rd party UI will be impossible. WM has an amazing amount of free (not as in free beer but free available without censorship) UI's. Each adding more features or making things easier to handle without going to the strandard UI.

In fact this standard UI that many find so ugly was designed for pen-input due to it's handwriting recognition. This works fairly well and unfortunatly this is what everybody seems to forget!!! The UI was not designed for finger usage though you have the ability to create other (fingerfriendly) UI's on top if it. Nobody will hold you back, censor you or stop you. In fact it's the more encouraging platform to design UI's for.

Andoid sucks with regards to internetworking! You can only have one lousy pop-email account. While email is the hub of most computer to computer communication and smartphones are companions to PC's (though many ppl seem to forget this). You're limited to Google's cloud for anything else. In WM 6.1 I have 3 POP-emails, hotmail/live email, exchange email, SMS and MMS all in one program. I can add more pop/smtp accounts with any ISP I choose. Pocket Outlook is one o/t best mobile messaging programs and yet because it's not beautifull enough ppl don't like it. How stupid is that?

As for Facebook/twitter. These can be handled by third party apps (on WM, Symbian or iphone for that matter). Why must everything be build in. WM is multitasking so it's perfectly alright to create a Facebook/twitter client and let it interact with the e.g WM today screen. Again, the fact that these are not supplied as standard is an OPPORTUNITY, ppl! This is YOUR change to build that killer-app. The same can be done with other fashionable items which are today hot-items and can be gone tomorrow.

9) The same is true for Wm devices. They cost a fraction of the iPhone yet no-one brags about this fact.

I think credit should be due Microsoft (and Symbian) as well. They opened the path to modern smartphones. And even in the case of WM6.1 it actually holds up pretty well. Especially when practical usage as a communications tool comes to mind. Though the standard pen-based UI might not be everyone's cup of tea. This can easily be changed with free available UI replacements/enhancements. Some with a good looking fingerfriendly workings.

Yet everyone keeps bragging about how great android and iOS is. Oh dear. What happened to common sense?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-07-21 00:44
Android is the youngest of those OSs, it's growing at a rapid pace, just a year ago there wasn't any decent games, a lot of them couldn't do decent video (record or playback), customization wasn't so fantastic etc... a year later almost every Android high end is doing HD video, there's tons of brilliant apps for almost anything which destroy their Symbian counterparts, there's unbelievablely sweet games that require graphics acceleration, great social networking apps etc...
We can blab on all day about what WM and Symbian brought, but where are all the major developers now? That's right, they are on iOS OR Android. As an ex S60 user i don't really see any advantage a Vivaz or N97 has over my X10 in terms of software and customisation.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-07-21 01:57
@epdm, you are a freaking legend!

Well said, I agree with every one of your points re: Windows Mobile versus the rest. Thank god there are still some people with common sense around.

I agree ++ about your point 3.

Well said!

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi