Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > Just got an HTC Desire

12  Next
Author Just got an HTC Desire
James1000
W890 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 22:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It's taken me about 4 hours of playing around with it, transferring 8gb of files, personalising and figuring things out, to figure it out.

I'm used to and have had for about 5 years. I was gonna get a Elm, but I thought I would treat myself and have a change. I'm pretty happy with it so far and I think it will get better as time goes on.

I don't like the earphones that come with it, they don't have enough bass (not that I like a lot) and are a bit too "tinny" but quite clear nonetheless.

I also need a 16gb memory card as my 8gb card has been full for quite some time. I would like one of those leather pouches as well.

I went for this set up for my main screen

[ This Message was edited by: James1000 on 2010-05-29 21:42 ]
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 22:41
Congratulations with your new toy James.
Please tell us all about it. It's on my wife's "maybe this one" list
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 22:45
Nice
Phone?? What phone??
James1000
W890 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 22:56

On 2010-05-29 22:41:29, hihihans wrote:
Congratulations with your new toy James.
Please tell us all about it. It's on my wife's "maybe this one" list

Thanks

I can't find the equaliser on it to boost the bass. But other than that it's brilliant. The build quality is something else, puts to shame. It's nice and heavy, no creaks, or large spaces or bits of lovely silver that will eventually wear away!

There is a little button that you can use if you don't want to touch the screen as well. It works surprisingly well.

It comes with a USB cable that doubles up as the charger cable when connected with the plug! Nice little touch.

Very easy to set up. Only thing that takes time is personalising it. I like it that there is no service provider name when I put a wallpaper of my choice. I'm looking forward to adding some more widgits if there are more for the HTC online. There are about 6 main pages to play with after all! I'm using one for bookmarks and one for calendar (of which there are a few style choices)

adnansanni
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-29 23:17
Congratulation. It's about time you post this thread. Thanks. I'm going to get one tomorrow, but can't decide which one should I get; Desire or X10.
If possible could you post some more picture of your new phones?
..Adnan..
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 01:41
Loving the Desire, great handset...
weirdwilli
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 12:49
I love my Desire, amazing phone and with Froyo coming soon to it, it should really be seen as a threat to the iPhone. The screen is just amazing, incredibly vibrant and large in comparison to the competitors.
I've installed LauncherPro to use instead of Sense, if anyone wants to check it out
dougproctor
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 19:58
Willi, if you love your Desire so much, why is it on the "for sale" thread??
weirdwilli
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 20:27
I miss my iPhone, while the Desire is technically the better phone, Android just doesn't feel as completely bullet proof as the iPhone OS at the moment and I don't want to have to wait for HTC to customise their Sense user interface to make it work on 2.2, when I don't even use it! I can tell that it'll get irritating fairly soon, and I've missed the jailbreaking community!
The apps are another downfall, while many applications are being brought out constantly to compete, because Android is so fragmented, I'd imagine that Devs are having a hard time coding their games for the OS, when on some phones it won't work, others it'll lag, and only the high end phones can manage them. Because of this, I've found about one game with decent graphics as opposed to the fantastic titles constantly appearing on the AppStore (namely GTA, which was fantastic and ran well on my iPhone 2G!)
Don't get me wrong, Android is amazing and Google are trying everything they can to leapfrog Apple, with flash, and the open source nature of it, which is dandy but they're also missing out in important areas.
It's likely just me being a typical 16 year old which makes me want decent games and a constant library of things to do on my device to be honest
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-30 20:49
Nice summation Willi, your wise beyond your years everyman and his dog are buying Desires, i have purchased several, for friends abroad, but i'm resisting it thus far.
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2010-05-31 07:15

On 2010-05-30 20:27:21, weirdwilli wrote:
I miss my iPhone, while the Desire is technically the better phone, Android just doesn't feel as completely bullet proof as the iPhone OS at the moment [snip!]

The Desire's hardware leaves something to be desired as well:

- At least for those of us living where there's plenty of sunlight the AMOLED display makes the phone unusable outdoors. After having owned an HTC TyTN suffering the same problem I will never again buy a phone that can't be used both indoors and outdoors.

- And all HTC's phones using their latest 5 MP camera are plagued with the same problem: a large pink blob in the center of all photos when you shoot photos of bright objects. Look at GSMArena's reviews of the HD2, Nexus One, Legend, HD mini and the Desire and notice the resolution test shots from all these phones have exactly the same problem.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-05-31 06:17 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 20:10
finally got a desire today to play with.

so far I've turned it on an set my wifi key (it only excepted a hex key and not my ascii phrase!?) and tried mobile esato on the browser, and it seems pretty nippy actually, faster than the HD2 I had with the same processor

I'll try it until next week at least to see what I think of my second android experience, the first being that cheapo tmobile pulse running 1.6 (or was it 1.5?) which I played with for an evening
weirdwilli
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 21:35
Masseur, you talk about the browser being pretty speedy, which I agree with, however do you sometimes get a few seconds of nothingness as if you are connecting to a network once pressing enter to navigate to a page?
It'll go, but just almost hang for a few seconds occasionally before it starts loading and I'm not sure if it's just me with the problem, or if it's a common theme with mobile internet.
Cheers
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 22:35

- At least for those of us living where there's plenty of sunlight the AMOLED display makes the phone unusable outdoors. After having owned an HTC TyTN suffering the same problem I will never again buy a phone that can't be used both indoors and outdoors.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2010-05-31 06:17 ]

I too live where sunlight is aplenty! Is the AMOLED on the Desire really "unusable" outdoors? It is currently topping my possible-phones-to-replace-my-xperiax1 list. That would be a shame.
If it is to be it is up to me!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2010-06-09 23:23
@weirdwilli, I've not experienced that yet, but I'm only using wifi so far so perhaps its network orientated?

I've install HTC sync and done a sync only to find that it doesn't sync notes or bookmarks which seems a bit amiss? I also hoped it would sync my outlook emails (iPhone doesn't either, but WM does). I'm guessing the assumption with android is that you'll be using gmail.

I have to say I'm struggling a bit and the learning curve seems a little steeper than I experienced with the iphone initially, but I want to give it a week to get a fair appraisal.

I do like the styling and the screen is fantastic. I'll be interested to compare it with the iPhone 4 in a couple of weeks
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi