Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Hazel - A good phone?

Author Hazel - A good phone?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-02 23:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Oh so it is out then?
Phone?? What phone??
Svithiod
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-03 00:55
I don't know about the UK, but in Scandinavia it is, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, released around the 19th. At the moment around €195-200.

Off topic
I don't know why anyone would buy something from EBay with only, say €5-10 in discount, around 5%, when the price is going down and you can buy new, non used items in a shop. The only reason I can think of would be if the device isn't released in that region or similar.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-03 01:04
I'm just going on what Google shopping says

here it's selling for £399.99 http://www.theorder.co.uk/sim[....]ls/Sony%20Ericsson/Hazel%20Red

Edit: although actually it's not realised here either yet... so that price could just be a mistake or something
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2010-05-03 00:06 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-05-03 01:18
That just can't be right It's not even worth that much. The Elm shows mostly as £199 though on pay & go is cheaper hence mine was £129.
Phone?? What phone??
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-05 13:34

On 2010-04-28 11:55:26, Svithiod wrote:

On 2010-04-27 22:11:01, adsada wrote:
What I don't understand is, yes you can buy the Hazel which is new, but the W995 is still much better, with 8MP camera and 3.5mm jack are the two main things W995 has but the Hazel lacks. And you can buy this, now for cheaper then the Hazel. [...]

As Fredrix said, in many places I think the W995 is more expensive than Hazel, almost 40-50% more here.

I agree with you that there are many similarities; both are slide phones, display size, Wi-Fi, GPS etc. And that the W995 has at least two major features not found on the Hazel, 8.1 MP cam (with image stabilizer) and 3.5 mm audio jack, and some more (stereo speakers).

I think the W995 records in WQVGA, and that they look better on the Hazel.

Hazel/Elm's video recording is definitely superior to the W995 - even with Brazzuka's camera mod VGA video is just barely possible on the W995's hardware. I think the Hazel/Elms sensor has something to do with it.

One other area where the W995 may be better than the Hazel is wifi connectivity. My phone pulls in Wifi nearly as good as my netbook does. - I've read some reviews where the Elm's Wifi reception is subpar compared to other wifi phones.

If my netbook detects a wifi signal just 2 bars strong my W995 can pull it in - not sure the Elm/Hazel can do the same.
Svithiod
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-09 01:26
I would like to, again, ask those that have or have used the Hazel/Elm about how they find reception and Wi-Fi. We have seen plenty of pictures taken with the Elm, and I thank all for sharing some of their pictures captured with the phones. There is no doubt that the phones are capable of quite good images and videos, and this early, but as we all know the camera is not the main feature, it's all about calls and messages, and with that connectivity is important.

I have now seen a number of reports about poor reception with the Hazel or Elm (as I also mentioned earlier in this thread), and Hans (hihihans) mentioned that it had (or most of it) been fixed in a new firmware. So, I would like to ask people who have these phones if they have noticed this. I am aware that this (reception) can differ quite a bit in different countries and nets. Also, some have said that they have seen better Wi-Fi connections with other phones; I don’t see this as a problem with these phones, if it’s working, since after all they are among the cheapest Wi-Fi phones.
bloodyvie
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2010-05-16 02:54
umm ... so far after i used my new hazel.. theres no problem with the signal.. but i havent tried the wi-fi..
and i am satisfied with this phone ^-^
but , its just i dont get the conservation sms view.. think its bcause of my firmware.. not the newest..
i hope after i update it, the conservation tab will be there.. T_T
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-16 05:06

On 2010-05-09 01:26:08, Svithiod wrote:
I would like to, again, ask those that have or have used the Hazel/Elm about how they find reception and Wi-Fi. We have seen plenty of pictures taken with the Elm, and I thank all for sharing some of their pictures captured with the phones. There is no doubt that the phones are capable of quite good images and videos, and this early, but as we all know the camera is not the main feature, it's all about calls and messages, and with that connectivity is important.

I have now seen a number of reports about poor reception with the Hazel or Elm (as I also mentioned earlier in this thread), and Hans (hihihans) mentioned that it had (or most of it) been fixed in a new firmware. So, I would like to ask people who have these phones if they have noticed this. I am aware that this (reception) can differ quite a bit in different countries and nets. Also, some have said that they have seen better Wi-Fi connections with other phones; I don’t see this as a problem with these phones, if it’s working, since after all they are among the cheapest Wi-Fi phones.

Hi Svithiod, I can now confirm that my Elm's Wifi reception is definitely weaker than the W995. There is a spot in the house where the Wifi signal is just 2 bars strong - my netbook & W995 can catch the signal and hold on to it but the Elm keeps losing hold.

GSM reception seems strong but I've had occasional problems with voice over 3G - the other persons voice volume level would drop to a very low level in the middle of a call. This is in a building though where there are a lot of 3G phones being used.
Svithiod
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-17 01:38

On 2010-05-16 05:06:47, NoroBiik wrote:
Hi Svithiod, I can now confirm that my Elm's Wifi reception is definitely weaker than the W995.[...]

GSM reception seems strong but I've had occasional problems with voice over 3G - the other persons voice volume level would drop to a very low level in the middle of a call.[...]

Thank you for your report.

I don't know how important other people think that Wi-Fi is on the Elm/Hazel, but personally, given the low price, if one can get good performance not too far away that's enough and fine with me. The reported problems with reception (GSM/3G), on the other hand, is much more important, in my opinion. It should be priority #1; we can't start over all the time and I think they have had phones with Wi-Fi and GPS before. Compared to for example C901 the Elm has some extra antennas, and apart from the xenon flash on the C901, all the features and the low price, is what makes the Elm (and Hazel) very interesting (and of course depending on taste, the design etc.).
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2010-05-17 05:58

On 2010-05-17 01:38:15, Svithiod wrote:

I don't know how important other people think that Wi-Fi is on the Elm/Hazel, but personally, given the low price, if one can get good performance not too far away that's enough and fine with me. The reported problems with reception (GSM/3G), on the other hand, is much more important, in my opinion. It should be priority #1; we can't start over all the time and I think they have had phones with Wi-Fi and GPS before. Compared to for example C901 the Elm has some extra antennas, and apart from the xenon flash on the C901, all the features and the low price, is what makes the Elm (and Hazel) very interesting (and of course depending on taste, the design etc.).

Agree, GSM/3G connectivity should be a priority. My 3G problems have been sporadic so far, in the case I mentioned that other person was in a place with poor to average 3G connectivity though the W995 & T700 could handle those same calls without the drop in volume issue.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that if you're using the Elm as bluetooth modem for your PC/laptop/netbook it has to be quite close - right next to it if possible. My T700 could be placed several feet away without substantial BT signal degradation & I often took advantage of that to get a good 3G signal.

Still happy with the Elm btw though I'm becoming more aware of the trade-offs done in exchange for the extra features built-in.
[ This Message was edited by: NoroBiik on 2010-05-17 05:00 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi