Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.

Author Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-25 14:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
my clearcoat should be here tomorrow... i'll update once i've applied it
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-27 03:59
I've updated the first post with my impressions on the clearcoat. Questions are welcome.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 12:47
Ah Thanks for updating Moogoo!

Being able to fit the clearcoat without soaking the handset is a HUGE plus for me!
The InvisibleShield is just FAR too sticky when you first apply it.

The sides on the InvisibleShield are rubbish too and I have removed mine for the same reason you highlighted about extra edges collecting dust... had my Shield on for 3 full days now and dust is collecting.
For anyone who uses the InvisibleShield remove the side pieces carefully as their easy to warp and stretch which is what I think I may have done.

I think that the cut on the InvisibleShield and overall coverage is possibly better.

My main question is what is it like on the screen? Responsiveness? Thickness? Clarity?

Comparing what you've said about the Clearcoat, I think that so far the InvisibleShield may be better for the back, sides and top of the phone.... But thats only better in a sense that it has more coverage. The Shield is THICK too which is great for the back, not so great for the screen.

The 'best' protectective skin may end up being a combination of the 2, which is very expensive!

I'm getting another Shield either today or tomorrow as I complained to my supplier in the UK that the piece cut for the side with the buttons was cut wrong around the camera button.
This installation will be my third try and should be the best so far so I'll probably report back with a little post.

P.S Did you find dust or hairs a problem?
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 12:54
@oniiko .... which UK supplier did you use ?

I've a Martin Fields on the front (thick !!) and invisible shield back cover. The top
and sides were horrible ..... so I'd like to try and replace the big old front one with
something nicer

The side pieces for the invisible shield were slightly too long and the button cut outs
didn't line up too well.
[ This Message was edited by: glorfingal on 2010-04-27 11:56 ]
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 13:17
Thanks glorfingal

I say supplier, I used an ebay company called Valyoo Ltd.

I emailed them explaining the problem and they said they would dispatch me a replcement asap, which was yesterday and asked I returned this one to them.
I'm quite happy with their service! Esp after telling them that I'll be removing it from my phone and that I had cut the defective piece up to try get a better fit and then threw it all away lol

Looks like were both content with the back of the shield, us and moogoo dont find the side coverage great (im kinda happy with the top though), and we both want THINNER screen protection.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 14:05
Has anyone heard of Durasec = link.

It's a liquid protector.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2010-04-27 13:05 ]
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 14:26
new one to me ..... the pages only state "light scratch protection" though .... ??

They also do the more normal film versions for the X10 ....
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 14:41
Durasec - initial thoughts...

This nanotechnology is soon to be popular and incorporated in to alot of things such as clothes, by coating any material with a rough surface (such as lots of micro hairs on the lotus flower) you can prevent any dirt or water particals penetrating or sticking to the material.

I have no idea how much scratch prevention this can have, my guess is not much.

This should leave a very clear and clean screen though, easily cleaned for life.
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 15:19
@glorfingal

Clear-tec vs High-tech screen protector.

My guess is the High-Tec is the thicker protection that we could probably shy away from.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-04-27 15:55
@Oniiko - Clarity of the clearcoat is outstanding. It's about as thick as the factory SP from what I can tell. Responsiveness is the same as the original SP but I enjoy the feel of the clearcoat better than the original SP. Can't describe it but it just feels better for some reason.

Like i said, it could be cut better, and more protection would have been nice, but it's enough for what i want it to do. I tend to be pretty careful with my phone so as long as major accidents can be avoided, i should be fine

Oh.. and i had a few bits of lint, but i just took off the clearcoat, removed the lint with scotch tape and then reapplied with more adhesive solution. no problems with dust though...
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2010-04-27 15:22 ]
moogoo
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 16:15
any one know of any GOOD quality silicone cases for the x10?

i know there is heaps on ebay etc etc, but they are all the same....

want something along the lines of the iLuv cases for the iphone, silicone cases but of good durable quality.... anyone seen anything similar?

posted in android section too...
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2010-04-27 15:15 ]
Trickois
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 17:19
@>500

I will keep an eye out, as I'd definitely be interested in one of those too. The only iPhone case I'm jealous of is here:

http://www.case-mate.com/iPho[....]iPhone-3G--3GS-Vroom-Cases.asp

They do make a silicon case for the C905, so here's hoping they join the X10 party eventually.

Good luck.
kits
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-27 17:56
My white X10 came with pre-installed screen protector and an additional one in the box which I applied on top of the already applied protector only to see it fall off within few days. I purchased InvisibleShield full-body protector mainly to protect the back of the phone as I hate the feel/thickness of InvisibleShield as screen protector. I prefer the screen protectors to have little slippery feel like glass.

I applied the InvisibleShield only to the battery cover part and I like it so far even though it feels little edgy on the sides as it's a thick rubbery material. Rub the provided wet sponge on the back cover as well as the sticky side of the protector as it allows you to move the protector until it aligns well on all sides. I am not sure how long it will stay without peeling off on the edges as the thick edges will surely make it feel off over time. I tried InvisibleShield on several phones before and I hate them but I still couldn't pass the 50% off coupon deal recently plus I wanted to protect by white X10 back cover.

I applied a cheap LCD screen protector from ebay on the front and it seems to be holding well so far. I ordered a 3-pack in case they keep coming off every few weeks as i think it's hard for crystal screen protectors to stick to another screen protector .
[ This Message was edited by: kits on 2010-04-27 16:58 ]
saltorio
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-04-28 21:52
Moogoo: On your recommendation I have ordered a Clear-Coat screen protector for my X10. I have faith in the stock protector for resisting scratches, but it's so prone to fingerprints that it really bothers me. So once I receive the Clear-Coat I'll be removing the stock protector and replacing it.

I look forward to a smudge-resistant screen.

I do have a question though: how should I clean my screen before applying the Clear-Coat, or is that part of the purpose of the solution? The instructions posted on their website don't clarify this.

I'm still considering my options for a new leather carry case though. Came across another Roots case for an iPhone that fits the X10 perfectly and has a magnetic flap like the one I currently have (that's a bit too big/loose for my X10).
[ This Message was edited by: saltorio on 2010-04-28 20:58 ]
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10a | Android 1.6 | Baseband: 1.0.31 | Build: R2BA026 (Root)
Oniiko
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-04-28 22:14
I fit another invisible shield today... my replacement.

There was alot of dust and lint on my phone after removing the previous shield, to remove ALL of this I simply used some sticky tape (think its the same as scotch tape in the states). This was very effective! Thanks to moogoo.

I must say now I have some experience with these things, the fit on the back of the phone is near perfect and im very happy with it. Anyone who tries REMOVE THE BACK FROM THE HANDSET. Allign the top edge and then slowly lay down the film maintaining an airtight contact all the way down. Done right there is little need for the squeegy which can ruin the shield. It does look pretty invisible.

It sure as hell doesnt feel invisible though.

Which is why despite the screen being fit just as nicely, it is even more rubbery than the first time. clarity is ok but when you cant slide your finger its just not ideal.
This friction may reduce with some wear, if it does ill report back.

I have ordered the Clearcoat screen protectors now, In my eyes the InvisibleShield for the back and Clearcoat for the screen will be the best combo as a result of this thread... it is costly though.
So factor in money and... CLEARCOAT WINS THIS BATTLE (IMO)

I've got another replacement InvisibleShield coming from ZAGG themselves as opposed to the UK seller who also sent a replacement to me. This along with my second Clearcoat SP will go on my envious girlfriends X10, once it arrives... lucky her. We'll split costs so its worked out OK.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi