Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Alternatives to Windows Mobile on Xperia X2, like Google Android

Author Alternatives to Windows Mobile on Xperia X2, like Google Android
rene
X2 White
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-02-19 08:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi All,

I won't explain my self too much in this post, so i keep the intro short: I'm not happy with windows mobile at all. It's pure crap, and unstable like hell. Crashes my phone several times a day, and is't full of bugs. It lacks features that traditional phones have had as standrad features almost a decade.. When a critical bug hits, you can't do anything else than re-install the whole operationg system from scratch, and loose all your settings etc.

Ok, now to the more serious part:

I have read somewhere that there has been a project to port Android to the Xperia X1. I really hope that the same thing would go for the X2. I really love the X2:s design, screen and the keyboard. It would be a really big waste if this great piece of phone would be spoiled by having windows running in it. I don't know where to start looking, or to whom i should turn, but if there would be any chances to get Android into the X2, that would be the greatest thing since sliced bread!!

I wonder if it would help in writing a petition to Sony Ericsson and try to get some help from them in starting a community project to get a basic Android setup for this phone. The only thing i guess SE would need to provide, is a couple of basic functions: Drivers for all hardware inside, and the functionality to turn the screen when opening the keyboard and maybe a couple of panels that could be used as a base for creating new panels... I know that we would loose some great panels, but i guess that it should not be a to big issue to reproduce them in an other OS. It's just an full-screen app...

The Xperia X2 Dissapointed Users Group DUG: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110270035673269
Facts about the Sony Ericsson X2 http://sonyericssonxperiax2failure.blog
chunkstar15
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-08-06 12:25
Let me be the second to sign your petition. Sony already have a working Android OS on the X10mini with slide out keyboard, i'm sure it cant be that hard to adapt it to the X2. Imagine how many customers SE would win back by giving a dam about their customers.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-08-06 22:44
I had Android on my old X1 but since the screen was upside down, it was stupid to use it. Don't know if that's the case for the X2 but jump over to XDA and have a look. My X1 was an X2 for a while so I'm sure it can be done since the hardware is almost the same.

The easy option would be to wait for the HTC Desire qwerty version which should be out this year or get a Moto. will never agree to change the platform but the XDA boffins can help you out.

I had an X2 for 2 weeks only and then I moved to the Desire, never been happier with a mobile.
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-07 05:17

I had an X2 for 2 weeks only and then I moved to the Desire, never been happier with a mobile.

We've have walked with the same path...
martian71
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2010-09-29 13:21

On 2010-08-07 05:17:20, titus1 wrote:

We've have walked with the same path...

So would you recomend the desire over the X2
TimeKiller
X2 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-03 13:35
Hi Rene,

be nice to you self buddy, no SE device worth such efforts (porting other OS on him). It will be much easier for you to do what I have done - sell the damn thing (Yes, you will lose a lot of money) and buy you self another phone. Personally I have bought Nokia E72 and I am very happy with it, but this is NOT an advertisement - you can buy any other phone from any other manufacturer. Since then I am checking this forum from time to time out of pure curiosity - just want to see if they will fixed the issues with X2 or (most probably) not. Btw - a friend of mine have bought Xperia X10 (following my advise that X2 is a piece of crap) and He is also NOT happy with the device. I can confirm that it is as buggy and laggy as X2 and it also lacks rSAP bluetooth profile just as X2 - which again make him useles if you want to use it in car with any modern car kit. So, the bottom line is that it's nothing to do with Windows mobile or "slow" 528 MHz processor of X2 as X10 is with 1 GHz Snapdragon and Android and guess what - it's the same piece of crap as X2 but without hardware keyboard (keyboard was btw the only really good thing in X2). After such experience - the only conclusion one can made is that whole problems comes from SE itself, which is relly a pitty as in the past I have owned K800i for several years and it was veeery good phone (my father still use it and he is vary happy with it despite it's already more then 4 years old). But I have made a promise to my self - I will NEVER again buy/use any SE product even they give it for free...
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-03 16:25
@rene

I don't believe they would ever do the thing you want.

I think they're the least communicative and supportive company on the market today.
They just delayed X10 upgrade again.

And X2 hardware is a bit too weak for Adroid today.
a w a r e
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi