12  Next
Author Satio vs Omnia HD
spw
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 18:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi guys,

I am looking to purchase either Satio or Omnia HD. Their price for me is within 50 Euros or so (generic version).
I dont like Samsung much in general, as everything I had from that brand has always broken down or had some issues that were never fixed (currently have G810 on life support).

I am looking from advice from people that have Satio - which one do you think is better? (i am asking because you have experience and thats much better than just looking over specs).

thanks a lot, very much appreciated and happy holidays!
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 18:28
Here are some threads that could be handy for you:

Omnia HD or wait for Satio?

Se Satio or Omnia Hd ?

My Satio vs Omnia HD vs Nokia 5800 - Display Comparison

Also:

Sony Ericsson Satio - A Different Perspective

Things I don't like in Satio

And the original Satio's thread:

Visual communication like never before with the Sony Ericsson Satio
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
spw
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 19:18
thank you tranced - unfortunatly, none of those comparo threads were started when satio was available, which is why i posted new one... maybe i should have updated the old ones with my question? i would like to get up to date opinion from people that have tried both extensivly, and since i am leaning towards SE, where better to ask .
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 19:24
Well, there you could see some threads about users' experiences. Those are recent and you could learn from those.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
BlackSniper
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 19:49
i have omnia HD

and my father Satio

i've tried both and in my opinion the hd is better

and go ahead ask anything
spw
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 20:09

On 2009-12-28 19:49:46, BlackSniper wrote:
i have omnia HD

and my father Satio

i've tried both and in my opinion the hd is better

and go ahead ask anything

Issues with Omnia HD? In my experience, Samsung does not like to update their phones much .
What are your own postives for both? THANKS!
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-28 21:24
Samsung has produced more updates for the HD than most phones, albeit mainly for the Italian ROM (which is why I hacked mine to put the Italian firmware). Samsung has now stated that the I8910/Omnia HD will be getting the full update (like the N97) with kinetic scrolling, improved web browser and other tweaks.

I really hope Sony Ericsson announces the same, as these changes would radically improve the Satio. S60v5 is by no means perfect, but the N97/N97 mini changes would certainly make the phone a much more enjoyable experience to use.
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
PawCat
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 21:30
I spoke with Sony Ericsson about them fully updating the OS like Nolia etc and they said they will not be doing any major updates for the Satio OS, only bug fixes and possibly change the inbuilt dictionary which in it's present form has several issues.
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 23:34
i'm currently using a hd, and i have to say i REALLY like it..mines running on italian firmware, and, after getin the orange crap removed, and getin it unlocked, its been great. the icing for me was the ability to throw divX/Avi files straight on it, as i travel 4 hours a day back and fore to work.
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-29 02:59
The sad part 'bout Samsung phone was that you're only option was to flash it with other firmware version. They do have great product but sucks on (firmware update) support, big time!
spw
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 14:11

On 2009-12-29 02:59:17, titus1 wrote:
The sad part 'bout Samsung phone was that you're only option was to flash it with other firmware version. They do have great product but sucks on (firmware update) support, big time!

thats my experience with Samsung G810... contrary to reviews, basic issues with the phone, unusable camera... never fixed via firmware upgrades. Basically i am left with feature phone as you cant use smart phone or camera to its fullest due to bugs.

whats the SE record on firmware updates?

p.s. going over Omnia HD forums, people are crying over firmware updates... thats why i am so worried...

spw
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 14:19
p.s. I checked them both last night... I was suprised their displays had same response times to touch? Omnia HD seemed a bit brighter, could be due to default settings... I liked that it has bigger battery, but at the same time, i wonder about camera - it is important for me that I can take proper images in darker enviroments (our house during the night - would like to be able to take pics of the kids properly, i have not been able to do that since K800i).
Radu_91
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 14:26
imo apart from the flash the satio's camera is inferior with all it's 12 megapixel's
dat_geezer
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 14:35
Just registered to help you with your decision:

GET THE HD, GET THE HD, GET THE HD!!!

Ok, sure, SATIO has a GREAT camera, but the rest of the phone is just unresponsive and horrible. I have both phones. I thought, ooo, 12mp camera, Sony Ericsson! Gotta be good! But i was so wrong.

Compared to the Omnia HD, the satio sucks! Reasons being?

Well first, it depends what you're looking for in the phone itself....

The omnia has an AMOLED screen, so it responds to touch from your fingers only so no pens or stylus are used (although there is one floating around, reviews state it's not good at all). As for the firmware, for all users of Omnia HD who haven't heard of this, they should get going right away. There's a nifty little site called:

http://forums.samsungi8910omnia.com/

On this site there are the latest updates for the phone. But the best option, in my opinion would be, to follow the guides to get the custom firmwares created by a guy called HyperX. His firmware is based on the latest originals, BUT, with all the improvements and speed updates to his capacity. I have used his latest one, and it's extremely fast, responsive and as he's taken all the un-needed clutter, there's far more memory too. So thats a really god thing about the Omnia.

I've had the satio for a few months now and i've had problems with it from day one. In fact, my satio, along with others, have many many bugs still, and it's annoying to be straight. My satio is damaged when taking pictures. I'm going to take it back but it's because of the xenon flash. Whenever i take a few pictures with flash on, either one of two things happen...either the flassh just keeps flashing and crashes the phone, or the phone just crashes...not good!
By all means, when it does work, wow, the best camera on the market...and not all phones will be like mine.

Video wise, Omnia wins hand down. 720p recording! woo! Though it should be noted that the frame rate at which it records videos isn't actually 24fps, it's 22fps.

Both platforms are symbian so they both preetttty much suck but again response wise, samsung wins again!

Thats my view...so...hope that helps? =p

spw
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 15:34

On 2009-12-29 14:26:47, Radu_91 wrote:
imo apart from the flash the satio's camera is inferior with all it's 12 megapixel's

well that is the whole thing, i dont have perfect lighting in my house, i cant tell my kids to wait for that perfect moment... i guess it is telling that on Satio site, nobody likes the Satio though.

dat_geezer - i have checked that site extensivly, and people complaining there get me worried... not to mention person saying how with satio, he can finally take pics in darker situations...

It is kind of silly, but i guess if i wanted positive opinions about satio, i should have asked on samsung forums and vice versa.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi