Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Still debating whether to get a Satio, Would it be a good idea to get one?

Previous  123  Next
Author Still debating whether to get a Satio, Would it be a good idea to get one?
georgied
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 10:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm really tempted to get one mainly because of the camera. I held off the C905 because of all the build issues and now again with the first wave of satio. But now you're saying the camera isn't that great.

What to do...
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-07 11:16

On 2009-12-07 10:38:08, georgied wrote:
I'm really tempted to get one mainly because of the camera. I held off the C905 because of all the build issues and now again with the first wave of satio. But now you're saying the camera isn't that great.

What to do...

If you're half-hearted 'bout getting the Satio...then don't.
jly
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 12:39
photo phone=c905

dmist24
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 12:47
Does Satio feel plastic? or is it metallic?
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 13:34
I keep reading on reviews that the touchscreen is unresponsive and poor and that you have to really prod the screen or keep pressing it for the screen to respond.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 14:13
The reviewers are more towards a capacitive screen and in comparison the resistive in the satio runs a little slack.
georgied
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 15:36
@titus1 Thanks for the constructive comment.

I wanted to get the handset as soon as it was going to be available on my operator but seeing all the problems that happened in the meantime has put me off. I was trying to gauge if the problems are widespread and persistent.
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 16:38
I like Georgie need to know as much as possible about this phone after all the problems it has been having, Are the issues all software issues? Has there been any hardware issues? Because the C905 was plaqued with speakerphone problems and more.

Also is the touchscreen fiddly or very awkward?

Some people on here are saying that the C905 camera is better than the Satio, I would have expected a high priced phone like the Satio to have much better image quality than the C905 to be honest.
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 18:53
dont think there has been any hardware problems yet-less moving parts-the camera lens cover is solid unlike the k800s or lesser extent c905s.
i got rid of my c905 because of the earphone problems (2nd time failed in a year) and replaced it with a k850.
i find the touchscreen very resposive but its the 1st i've ever used.
i dont think it is better but the flash on the c905 provides better lighting,probably in a few firmware releases it will be excellent.
galaxy note8
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 21:09
Satio's camera strength is macro and good weather, outside this its as poor as any 5mp phone
All satio's problems seem to be in the software, not seen a single mention of any hardware issues.

At the end of the day its a plastic phone with metal sides so its always going to feel a bit plasticy, build quality seem very good with the exception of the battery cover which is flimsy .

Am thinking of buying a silicon case for mine as im sick of it looking grubby , it has to be the worst fingerprint magnet ever.
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-12-07 21:18

On 2009-12-07 21:09:02, larry 68 wrote:
Satio's camera strength is macro and good weather, outside this its as poor as any 5mp phone
All satio's problems seem to be in the software, not seen a single mention of any hardware issues.

At the end of the day its a plastic phone with metal sides so its always going to feel a bit plasticy, build quality seem very good with the exception of the battery cover which is flimsy .

Am thinking of buying a silicon case for mine as im sick of it looking grubby , it has to be the worst fingerprint magnet ever.

For a 12mp flagship phone you would expect it to be very good and not just good on macro and in good weather.
mikely_28
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-08 09:57
I don't have any fingerprints on my black Satio. I don't think it's plastic. It's nice phone with user friendly touch screen. Like other SE phones it has some bugs. Lack of equalizer and RDS in radio. Video taking res 640x480.
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-12-08 10:17
Quick resumé of my first month with Satio:
Pros:
-Exellent screen with high resolution 360x640, how much is the Aino again?
-Best camera in phone so far(I had a C905 and W995 moded)
-Wifi compatibility with all routers (C905 and W995 had problems with some models)
-Touch is very nice for a resistive screen.
-Fast Edge and wap connection
-Very stylish with high end materials
-VGA recording with high video bitrate...15 mins = 330mb!!!

Cons:
-It's a S60v5 so bye bye logical SE OS
-Double tap could have been disabled in many menus
-Single speaker for ringtones (ridiculous compared to w995 stereo but loud enough with latest FW)
-Can't mod the Cam driver yet to lower jpeg compression
-Ringtone is not synchronised with the begining of the call,it can delay of 2 secs

I had one single bug that was the Theme style but now it appears to have been corrected with the last FW
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 00:20
@ northmonkey - you dont have to press hard to get a response, in fact most of the time the touchscreen is faultless. Only every now and then it does not register a tap. I wouldnt worry about the software either. The issues have only affected some Satio phones and not all. Mine is fine.

The black Satio is a fingerprint magnet, the silver too but its less noticable on the body than the black. Both have equally vulnerable screens to fingerprints however. The black version is very shiny.

As for the camera, people say other phones take better pictures but then theres not many good examples of great Satio pictures to prove it. But id say the Satio does take the best pictures of any cameraphone at the moment. Modified camera drivers may improve some phones capabilities, but then they still cant make up for the lack of pixels compared to the Satio's. The Satio is good in all conditions, but since we've all gotten used to high spec cameras built into phones these days its easy to see whats really impressive as the norm. It just so happens when used in bright sunlight the Satio really shines (as does any other camera.. doh !) - and its the same with macro shots.

The Satio does feel like a chunk of plastic, but it doesnt creek or make noises when pressed unlike every other phone ive owned. The only poor part of its construction is the rear battery cover which im sure they could have made a bit thicker with more connecting slide lugs.

Before buying one if i were you, id try one. If you're coming from a standard SE phone to a Symbian device you'll find it hard to use and a bit slow. But, give it time, explore its possibilities and you'll get the rewards.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 02:51

On 2009-12-07 21:18:37, northmonkey wrote:
For a 12mp flagship phone you would expect it to be very good and not just good on macro and in good weather.

You're probably confused between the terms flagship phone and flagship camera. Here's my take on SE's new generation of sensors, they're not really convenient point and shoot since there's a lot to know about the various settings. In short, they're not gonna score well with mobile phone reviews that base their tests on full auto settings to be fair. But once you truly know the cam, it takes better photos than any phone in the market. This based on my own experience with a W995 and the excellent Satio samples in the photo section.
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi