Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
burnin
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 21:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Since the update the only thing that i note was that de green led don't blink when we have a unread sms, someone know how to activate this function??

Other tinhg is when i left the internet it ask me all the time if i want to see unfinished connections or something like these.

Sorry about my English I m Portuguese.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-12-09 23:04
Any videos i shoot freeze up for 5 seconds every 30 seconds of shooting. Not good. It didnt happen before on the older firmware.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-10 00:10
It did for me on the old firmware. I recorded some 20 minutes of a Sony Ericsson X10 presentation and it paused a number of times.

I thought it was merely pausing on the display, but no, it had literally frozen for that length of time in the video - so there's a number of 10-30 second sections with no audio and a frozen image (or blank screen).

So, it's not a new bug - it's merely one that hasn't been fixed!
[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2009-12-09 23:10 ]
Jonathan Morris
Twitter @jmcomms
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-12-10 09:44
But i didnt have it until the new firmware was installed on my Satio
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-10 10:40
On that basis, I'd say it's something else on the phone causing the stuttering (something running in the background) and it's just a coincidence you've only had the problem post-update.
Jonathan Morris
Twitter @jmcomms
Vit
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-10 14:16
My alarms always worked with the phone turned off but now with this new firmware they simply don't do that anymore. It's really annoying, specially if you plan to turn your phone off during the night to save some battery charge.

Even more annoying was what happened when I tried to leave the phone charging in Flight Mode. The phone crashed as soon as the alarm started ringing.

I am also having some lags when I try to scroll down menu bars. For instance, when I try to see the info on any picture on the gallery, it takes a moment until I can scroll the bar down to the bottom. Also the vibrational tactile feedback seems to be lagging when I perform that particular action.

I had the problem with themes with the older firmware, but doing a hard reset (*#7370#) it was resolved. After that I had no more problems with it. This new firmware doesn't look better IMO. Even when it comes to everall performance.

When it comes to the camera, what surprises me is that the White Balance is locked in Auto mode when you select Twilight Landscape, for instance. Where on earth would that be a good thing?!

I cannot see the advantadge in not having Spot Metering anymore! As far as I know, it only has Matrix Metering, which gives a very limited ability of shooting pics with very dark and very bright areas whithin the same picture. What happens now is that you need to lock both focus and exposure (by half pressing the shutter button) in other areas to get a proper exposure in some situations. That may not be a good thing because the intended subject to be in focus may be far from the one where you have locked those settings. In the end, you are left either with an overexposured or an underexposured picture. One may tell "but now I have touch focus and I can focus at whatever subject I want". That would certainly help, but touch focus doesn't allow us to only lock the focus and then move the camera to some other place, so it would not be much of a help there. Besides that, in Touch Focus mode we cannot set EV compensation anymore! It's really odd.

That thing is precisely one of my suggestions. I guess we could have the option for the touch focus to only lock the focus, instead of locking and shooting the picture at the same time. It would be wonderful to have both options and selecting one or the other as you please. That way we could certainly take more advantadge of this helpful feature. Imagine a situation where you're expecting something to pass through a certain area of the scene. You might lock the focus at that area by using touch focus and then you could wait until that comes. By then the only thing left to do would be pressing the shutter button all the way down. There would be almost instantly, as the phone would not need to set the focus area anymore.

I also find that the focus locking time of this phone is way too slow! I was expecting its performance to be much better in this regard.
[ This Message was edited by: Vit on 2009-12-10 13:24 ]
Every Picture Tells a Story
dipb
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-10 14:38
the sound recording ... it doesnot record voices of people sitting 4 feet away that too in a meeting room. strange !!
it only records voices, when someone speaking a foot away from the phone. I would have expected, better sound recording capability rather than reduced no sound when someone speaking in a meeting room.
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 14:21
I don't recall if this bug was there before the upgrade, but when I'm listening to an audio book, and someone calls in the middle of the track, the player does resume from the point where it stopped when the call ends, but from the beginning of the track. For a music track, it might be OK to hear the song again allover from the start, but for an audio book, you don't want to hear the story again.
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 18:05
Im having lots more times where the phone freezes since updating.
Todays strange event was that part way through writing an e-mail the touch vibration stopped working and 10 mins later the phone started continualy vibrating without being touched, it didnt sound like the normal vibration either more like a grindy noise lasted about 1 minute.
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-11 18:13
@larry68
Similar problem, listening to music and it will randomly vibrate for about a minute, does my head in lol.
Does it once every 5 mins
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 18:22
I've never had it happen before, was worried the phone was about to die
some of my menu screens also keep going black, not everytime but randomly and cant open anything on them, getting more issues daily.
Am thinking of doing another re-install.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 18:45
Still no further bugs here, just the video freeze bug. So its not all bad for me.
anzalrahman
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-11 20:19
hmm i find the image preview in the homescreen sticky while sliding....

do u guys find the screen more responsive when the screen cover is removed?????

is it just me or do u ppl find the video player in the file manager better than the one in media player??
cableguy
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2009-12-12 12:01
Anyone having problems with java applications accessing the internet after the firmware update?
I basically need to have a data connection active and then launch the java application like sky remote record before it can access the data connection
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi