Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SE-Portfolio 2010

Previous  123 ... 143144145 ... 232233234  Next
Author SE-Portfolio 2010
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 10:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Don't forget that they are still in the middle of a turn around.

A couple of years ago they were ready to move from being a marginal player to a main player with a market share grab based on multiple copy n paste phones.

Since then they have had to abandon that strategy (good idea!) and do an about-turn and race to embrace smart phones with touch screens, at the same time already being years behind Samsung and Apple etc.

They predicted last year that they wouldn't see profitability until late 2010 but with two profitable quarters behind them they are at least heading in the right direction - even if we are yet to see them get back to their winning days when they produced hit phones year after year. Next year I'm hoping to see some of the old Sony Ericsson goodness reappearing.
Shino03
S700
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 12:06
I agree with dups. They should have at least 2 new phones for this quarter. Motorola and Lg have a dozen of new smartphones for this quarter and I don't see any future plan from SE to compete with those phones. It's a lousy idea to take for granted this quarter when most people buy new phones.
FMW300
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 14:07
I really thought the X10 minis would have boosted their sales, but I guess their portfolio just isn't diverse enough right now. Hopefully next year, they'll have a much larger range of models available. Maybe cancelled too many phones this year! So, the only new handsets this quarter are X8, Cedar and Yendo? Nothing else to come in December?
T230 > W300 > W890 > W705 > Live > Xperia T > Xperia Z2a > Xperia X > Xperia XZ2
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-15 14:20
SE won't have a good Q4
the reviews are bad, the line up is out dated, while SE will finally introduce andorid 2.1 others will be at 2.2

the only thing they can do is slash the price of symbian phones to hopefully increase their sales.
i'm sure the live feed will sell good, but then again, its limited to some devices.

i expect SE to have a difficult 2011, they will drop out of the top 5 and start making less profit.

for me SE is no more, they killed them selves by stopping with the development of symbian.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 14:42
why should Q4 be bad?

Q4 is 'usually' a pre paid period... and have a good folio for that... though, obviously profit margins wont be as big
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 16:56

On 2010-10-15 14:42:14, >500 wrote:
why should Q4 be bad?

Q4 is 'usually' a pre paid period... and have a good folio for that... though, obviously profit margins wont be as big

i agree with bart here
currently there is no objective reason to buy a sony ericsson
there is a single device out there which shines out of the mass - the X10 MINI

pre paid period ? old paradigms don't work anymore
the money is with smartphones
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 17:16

On 2010-10-15 14:42:14, >500 wrote:
why should Q4 be bad?

Yes, the quarter is 'usually' a pre-paid period only if you have something to offer the consumers. What do SE have to offer?

From where I stand an ageing portfolio that they can't even ship enough of and the X8 which is the only phone really that they are hoping will save the day. Q4 is already looking worse than I thought. By Q1 next year HTC will be the number 5 manufacturer with a slightly bigger slice of the market compared to SE.

I still stand by what I mentioned- that SE should've had at least 2 phones that are released now in Q4 to help the X8 and continue their upward (profits) surge.

It is rather disturbing that with the minis they couldn't push their shipments to around 12.5m or even 13m. Considering that situation I see them shipping a little less this quarter or even the same number as in Q3.

Let's be honest here, they don't have a strong portfolio compared to the likes of HTC, Samsung and to an extent Motorola and that is their major problem cause people want very competitive phones. Why is the Galaxy selling so much followed by the Wave? The Desire HD is already in the top 5 while its sibling the Desire is still in demand. With SE it is the X10 that is carrying the torch while the minis faded prematurely.

SE needs to start going all out, take risks and see what happens. I suggest they have a minimum of 2 super high-end phones early next year and add another one in Q4 (released to the market and not only announced) while keeping their mid-end going strong. This thing of one high end per year is what dragged them in this mess in the first place, give the consumers three high-end phones per year and watch the profits rolling in.

It also time for a proper A-platform, 3'', full touch walkman with class leading sound quality. While at it, give the damn P1i replacement in Android. Motorola has one, unfortunately it is for the American market- at least for now.

I see a weak Q4 result and a bad Q1, 2010 result. Less profits for Q4 and terrible profits for Q1 next year.

As much as I agree with you, goldenface, regarding the transition period that SE is in bad business decisions and strategy are also to blame here. SE cannot afford to sit back but need to go all out.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 20:14
Maybe this is as good as it gets. Maybe this is SE's all out effort, a disappointing reality if it is so
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
bambarah
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2010-10-15 23:17
stopped the innovation policy , this policy which brought love to
now is running cheap replica common products to save costs , that is why is always late than other compititors
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-16 02:54
I'm surprised by the lack of faith in this thread. This is usually the fountain of eternal optimism. Seen as everyone else has put in their opinions I may as well put in my observations and analysis.

I had a quick look at the numbers and this is what I saw:

Whilst the numbers look slightly better than Q2 the major bonus is the end of the restructuring costs, meaning from their bank account point of view it's a massive up on the last year or so and they can start to reinvest in development for next year. They've turned the ship around, now the hard work begins. Contrary to what many think I believe SE's current portfolia isn't a disaster for the coming quarter and I don't think Q4 will make or break SE. The upcoming push of 'X10 HD' will maintain the X10's sales till Christmas, and the minis, yendo and X8 should see SE move more units in Q4 than Q3 albeit with lower margins; numbers will be similar to Q2 but ~15% up.

I believe the next year needs to see more phones of the standard the X10 was at announcement and I think we'll see at least 4 high end phones in the 12 months. It's difficult to judge what their success will be until we know the final specs and design.

I think a lot of the negativity arpund SE at the moment is because there hasn't been anything significant happen for seemingly forever. But do not fear there must be some good action right around the corner, there must be. It would be beyond belief if we go through to next Q2 without a massive release of somekind.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-10-16 03:03
Ricky & Bambara are SPOT on.

For me ... I think I've had enough of iPhone 4 but ONLY because I don't get to enjoy the media features throughout the day. For me the solution is iPod Touch 4th gen and BB_9780/9700.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 08:41
SE is selling less number of devices overall because they have shifted from the high volume, featurephone segment to the smartphone one.

SE is making more money because their smartphones are selling beyond expectations.

Why is this so hard to understand?

This is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. If I were Bert, I'd take more money over more units sold anyday.
avmaxfan
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 09:30
WP7 devices from 2011

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/a[....]offer_wp7_devices_in_2011.html

And also note that the volumes were restricted due to parts shortage this quarter. The shortage not withstanding would have managed better numbers and even greater profit.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/10/15/sony-ericsson-q3-201/
[ This Message was edited by: avmaxfan on 2010-10-16 08:30 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 14:49

On 2010-10-16 08:41:29, synn wrote:
SE is selling less number of devices overall because they have shifted from the high volume, featurephone segment to the smartphone one.

SE is making more money because their smartphones are selling beyond expectations.

Why is this so hard to understand?

This is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. If I were Bert, I'd take more money over more units sold anyday.

You forget that those feature phones SE had were selling at prices of smartphones so nothing's really changed as far as pricing is concerned.

Business is about making money and there is nothing wrong with making money but there is something very wrong when you fail to plan for the short and long term like SE has done. What they have clearly failed to recognize is that Q4 offers a lot of profits if you play your cards right. I read someone mentioning the X10 HD when the phone gets its update but what they fail to see is that the X10 has dropped in price and it is not having it easy dealing with the likes of the Desire HD, Galaxy S that will be running Froyo against Eclair of the X10. The X10 is not selling as well as the Samsung and HTCs. Don't tell me that that doesn't matter to a lot of people because it does when they ask about these phones and the sales person says 'the X10 is running an older version of Android'. The 'average' consumers won't ask even further what that means but will think 'I'm better off with something that's current than one that's outdated'.

There just is nothing from SE that will bring them better profits this quarter. They simply failed to plan and come up with a sound strategy. Their portfolio is weak and just can't compete this festive season.

Let's see what they have next year cause I am already past this year. I hope their long term planning is better and coupled with a much better strategy. I'm still hoping they make me a phone I can buy seeing that Motorola has no plan, thus far, to release the Droid Pro outside of the US.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2010-10-16 13:56 ]
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-10-16 16:50
Before we get into profits, needs stability and to make a profit which they have done. Great, now its up to them to increase the market share and build on their hard work. Not so long ago there was talk of Sony and Ericsson splitting and all these job losses etc. are on their feet now so I think that this time next year, we should be able to judge them properly. Maybe they couldn't afford to be too risky but I guess now, they can put their more ambitious plans in motion.

The recovery is complete, now lets see what they can do. Do they make more smartphones or do they try new hardware, remember the pressure sensitive touchscreen? If they start dishing out mid ends it suggests caution and maybe a longer term secure strategy. If they bring out a 16MP Android and a load of WP7 device or bad ass high end Walkmans, it shows that the company is healthy and that they have big balls. Development of the PSPhone is a good example.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 143144145 ... 232233234  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic