Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SE-Portfolio 2010

Previous  123 ... 9899100 ... 232233234  Next
Author SE-Portfolio 2010
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 17:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What kind of logic is going on here? SE has Vivaz and pro, Aspen and the ill-fated X2 which are all smartphones. There is also the disaster called Satio. Granted, S60 sucks but it still is a smartphone OS. Windows is stagnant but it also is a smarphone OS.

How can SE not be competing in the smartphone segment with all those smartphones? It doesn't have to be Android to be a smartphone!!
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 18:19

On 2010-06-17 17:55:41, Dups! wrote:
What kind of logic is going on here? SE has Vivaz and pro, Aspen and the ill-fated X2 which are all smartphones. There is also the disaster called Satio. Granted, S60 sucks but it still is a smartphone OS. Windows is stagnant but it also is a smarphone OS.

How can SE not be competing in the smartphone segment with all those smartphones? It doesn't have to be Android to be a smartphone!!

Well, because those smartphones don't sell well and full of crap. :lol

Let's be realistic here, Xperia X10 is the only offering from SE that can actually be called a fully-fledged smartphone.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-17 17:29 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 18:37

Now if there was ever a funniest logic then yours is.

The point you were trying to make was SE wasn't/isn't competing in the smartphone market, sales are irrespective of that. They have smartphone presence and the Vivaz is doing pretty well.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Phoner
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 18:37
I asked about MegaBass in X8 because it is the first step to a full-functional equalizer on Android, of course if it is not just a mistake in the description....
[ This Message was edited by: Phoner on 2010-06-17 17:38 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 18:48
@phoner- Perhaps rog @sefirst can help us.
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 18:52

On 2010-06-17 18:37:08, Dups! wrote:

Now if there was ever a funniest logic then yours is.

The point you were trying to make was SE wasn't/isn't competing in the smartphone market, sales are irrespective of that. They have smartphone presence and the Vivaz is doing pretty well.

Sales is irrelevant? How can you tell that a company is competing in the smartphone market if they hardly make a sale?

Well I guess if you know how to read, then you will find your own logic funny.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-17 18:05 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 19:37
Your argument was that SE isn't competing in the smartphone segment and that is what I have a problem with. After I pointed out that faulty logic by also supplying a number of smarphones from SE you turn around and claim you were referring to sales. Your initial assertion was SE's competitiveness in the smartphone market that is why I disputed the sales theory. I didn't say sales are irrelevant but that in your argument (that SE isn't competing in the smartphone segment) sales are irrelevant cause they have a noticeable presence in that segment.
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2010-06-17 20:36

On 2010-06-17 19:37:55, Dups! wrote:
Your argument was that SE isn't competing in the smartphone segment and that is what I have a problem with. After I pointed out that faulty logic by also supplying a number of smarphones from SE you turn around and claim you were referring to sales. Your initial assertion was SE's competitiveness in the smartphone market that is why I disputed the sales theory. I didn't say sales are irrelevant but that in your argument (that SE isn't competing in the smartphone segment) sales are irrelevant cause they have a noticeable presence in that segment.

OMG! What I am pointing out is SE smartphone portfolio lacks great smartphones that can compete with offerings from other manufacturers, and they are almost non-existent in the smartphone market which is not being helped much by releasing phones such as the likes of X8. Like what I said in the rest of the X-series, except X10, that they are more like dumb phone than smartphone because of hardware limitation. They have not been very competitive in that area for a long time and struggling to get noticed.

Since you brought up the other smartphones in SE portfolio, I reffered to the sales. The smartphones you mentioned do not sell that well at the moment or "do not sell enough to put SE back on the map." But when did I say SE is not competing in the smartphone segment?

Again, please read before you post along with se_dude. You are not making any sense.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-17 19:37 ]
domipost
Hazel
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-17 23:05

On 2010-06-17 16:56:08, rss_ndrsn wrote:

On 2010-06-17 14:19:53, domipost wrote:

Because it's in a whole other segment, you fool. Ever heard of low-end, mid-range and high-end?

The point I was trying to make, you IDIOT, that you can hardly call X8, X10 Mini and X10 Mini pro smartphone even though they are android powered because not much available applications are/are going to be made for them. The size of those phones' screen are the smallest in the entire Android family. Se_dude said that SE is actually competing in the smartphone market by the making these phones when X10 is the only offering from SE right now, and in the time of X8 released, that is a full-fledged smartphone. A smartphone that is able to compete with the likes of other full-fledged smartphones HTC Legend, HTC Hero, HTC Evo, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S I9000, Nexus One, IPhone 3GS/4, etc. The point here is not about the market segment but if the device is a smartphone or not.

You know that most android phones still have the same screen res as X8? And I don't know how you define the word smartphone, but I can navigate, multitask, browse, use apps like layar and install thousands of other apps on my X10 Mini. That's what I'd call a smartphone....
domipost
Hazel
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-17 23:10

On 2010-06-17 17:08:30, rss_ndrsn wrote:

On 2010-06-17 06:56:56, se_dude wrote:
Have you guys gone mad? The X8 is directed at the likes of spica and others. It is half the price at what the hero was launched at. Gawd!!vX10 is SE's flagship and the i9000 is samsungs. I dont see whats so different here.

Yes, you are right about that. But are the X8 and, X10 mini and X10 mini Pro can be considered as smartphone like the Spica? You said in your post prior to this that SE actually competing in the smartphone segment but you can hardly call the X8, X10 Mini and X10 mini Pro smartphone because of their screen sizes, the smallest in the Android family. These SE phones are like dumb phones but better. X10 is the only offerings from SE that can be called a smartphone.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-17 16:12 ]

Ah, when you DO call the Spica a smartphone it's even more stupid, because the biggest difference is .2 inches in screen size, and that is definately not something that makes a smartphone....
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2010-06-18 00:01
This ain't smart talk. That's for sure.
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2010-06-18 00:38

Dominopost:
You know that most android phones still have the same screen res as X8? And I don't know how you define the word smartphone, but I can navigate, multitask, browse, use apps like layar and install thousands of other apps on my X10 Mini. That's what I'd call a smartphone....

Yes, it is a smartphone by all means but compared to the likes of HTC Hero, HTC Magic and Spica how good it is as a smartphone? That's why I said "can hardly call it a smartphone" because SE Android phones except X10 are the least in competition. Small screen, no qwerty keyboard text input, so so internet navigation, "thousands" of app out of 50,000 and counting............. Pretty much basic features. (Not to cause any commotion or whatsoever, I can do some of those things on my W995.)

About the can-be-called-smartphone thing, I meant full-fledged smartphone.

Ah, when you DO call the Spica a smartphone it's even more stupid, because the biggest difference is .2 inches in screen size, and that is definately not something that makes a smartphone....

Spica stupid? Read the specs http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i5700_galaxy_spica-2965.php.

About the screen, how come SE had to make a different ui layer for the X8, X10 mini and X10 mini Pro? Why not apply the same ui layer like the one on X10 if the screen size is really not makes one phones better? Same goes with the application.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-17 23:42 ]
domipost
Hazel
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-06-18 00:50

On 2010-06-18 00:38:25, rss_ndrsn wrote:

Dominopost:

Yes, it is a smartphone by all means but compared to the likes of HTC Hero, HTC Magic and Spica how good it is as a smartphone? That's why I said "can hardly call it a smartphone" because SE Android phones except X10 are the least in competition. Small screen, no qwerty keyboard text input, so so internet navigation, "thousands" of app out of 50,000 and counting............. Pretty much basic features. (Not to cause any commotion or whatsoever, I can do some of those things on my W995.)

About the can-be-called-smartphone thing, I meant full-fledged smartphone.

If you think a full-fledged smartphone is something like the Legend or Desire, yes, it's different and maybe less smart. Agree with you on that point than, though IMO everything with android is a full fledged smartphone.

Spica stupid? Read the specs http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i5700_galaxy_spica-2965.php.

About the screen, how come SE had to make a different ui layer for the X8, X10 mini and X10 mini Pro? Why not apply the same ui layer like the one on X10 if the screen size is really not makes one phones better? Same goes with the application.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2010-06-17 23:42 ]

I know the specs, I used Spica, X10, Desire, X10 Mini, Legend, Hero and X8, with only the first and the last one being less than a week, so I think it's safe to say I know pretty much bout them. Didn't meant the Spica is stupid, but your opinion

Screen size matters, but not so much if it is .2" and the resolution is the same. SE could've left the vanilla android on the X8 like Samsung did with the Spica, but if they have something nice to differ themselves why should they? X8 has a qwerty btw, X10 mini doesn't indeed, which is a pity imo However you look at it, X8 is just as full fledged smartphone like as Spica (well, unless you think the cam makes a phone smarter, off course)
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2010-06-18 01:21
A smartphone is a phone that runs a operating system that provides a standardized interface and platform for application developers.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2010-06-18 01:44
Symbian/Android/WM = smart phone. Memory and processor for example, determine how smart. The majority of phones are smart phones.

Its a good point that the screen size on the Mini means that not all programs will work but plenty will still work. I think that people were disappointed with the announcement and with the X8 falling short i.e. a slightly bigger screen would have been ideal for many etc. Personally, I think that if the Vivaz were cloned with Android it would be way more appealing even at a higher price. A Vivaz Pro with Android would be perfect for the majority of people on this site.

Its disappointing that the X10 is the only good high end and that we don't see anything exciting coming through. People are desperate for just one high end Cybershot and one Walkman. Everyone listens to some sort of music, the iPhone is the best iPod plus it does other stuff like make calls and take photos. Nokia realised this and did the XM5800. Its not the best phone but music is good and battery is excellent plus its got touch screen which is all the rage now.

If people like the X10 which is a smart phone, how many more customers would they gain if they made it a Walkman and change it appropriately? Many many people still use the A2 Walkmans for music, its such an obvious thing to do. From next month everywhere you look you will see people with those white headphones attached to the new iPhone.

Mexico vs France = iPhone vs
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 9899100 ... 232233234  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic