Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Next Satio Firmware update - Wishlist

Author Next Satio Firmware update - Wishlist
miguel82
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 11:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Lets hope so! Yesterday ive played on a store with a omnia hd and all i have to say is that i wished to had get it in the first place and no satio. Much better in all ways except for 3: No xenon flash, not so great style like satio and no SE branding on it! lol. And for my surprise it didnt have that stupid sms t9 changing word bug on it like satio... Hope that SE sort this out because im tired of deleting text because of this.... and by the way omnia hd is much better for text input than satio
gharknes1
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 16:41
where did you see the info about the FW update next week ?
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-08 20:26
Found the website page eventually, for UK, and it says:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/update/locale (then select Europe/UK)

Available as of Monday 7th December:

Update for Satio™ for better performance and core stability improvements

Update for Aino™ for lower battery consumption and performance improvements for GPS, WLAN and Bluetooth™. Hit game Loco Roco included for free.

Elsewhere I found this:

12-10-2009 (presumably American date format, so 10th December 2009)

Get the latest software for Satio™ with improved performance when multitasking

The new software enables improved stability when you switch between running applications and the phone automatically ends non-responding applications after about 20 seconds.

Experience a more enhanced Satio™:
Stability improvements in Roadsync™, Opera Mini browser and web.
Improved WLAN (Wi-Fi™) handling.
Fixed theme and colour when you switch between different themes.
Improved alert sound for incoming calls during active call.
Improved battery performance in standby mode while playing music.

To update is simple, just use the Update Service application whiteout affecting your personal data or downloaded items. Connect your phone to your computer and follow the instructions

Read more about updating your phone and see how you can get notified when new software is available, click here.

Note:The availability of these new features depends on your operator and country.

So, as the police would say, move along - nothing to see here!
Jonathan Morris
Editor, What Mobile magazine - the UK's leading mobile phone magazine
www.whatmobile.netforum.whatmobile.net
Twitter @jmcomms
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 21:02
Lets hope the Nokia n97 Mini is sorted with its software problems as quick as the Satio was with the news today of it removed from Orange
Phone?? What phone??
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 22:54
It was 6th sense
Anyway this time I am seriously willing to swap my satio with aino.
I am tired of the lack of support for this overhyped phone and take a good A2 phone!
So much expectations not met with this s60v5 phone,even special effects are not hoped for a future FW
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
miguel82
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 23:20
Vegetaleb have you tried omnia hd? Just for play with it a few minutes im serious willing to swap satio for it... or at least have both of them at the same time and then get rid of one when a new decent device pop up (A better X10)
[ This Message was edited by: miguel82 on 2010-01-08 22:21 ]
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 23:34
S60v5 is not a good OS
Nokia never knew how to build a good intuitive OS like SE
x10? way to big for my pocket when jogging
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
glewis
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 23:42
I ws going to rant about T9 text input, but someone already did...

I REALLY have to re-iterate these:

26. ** Predictive text (T9) with the alphanumeric keypad has issues! When trying to enter one letter, say m, n or o by pressing 6 key once, I cannot then toggle between them with the * key like you normally can with predictive text! I have to enter and spell n and o manually! Ridiculous!

27. ** When entering a full stop or comma or symbol after a word when I try to toggle with the * key the word is changed! Ridiculous!...for example if I type "Got any?", then "how are you boy?" I have to type "any", then press the "*" til "boy" appears, so then I type "." and press "*" to get it to a "?" but the word has then already changed back to "any" Highly annoying

My own further gripes (Orange U1i - latest firmware at date of writing):

1. When I receive an SMS it doesn't say who it's from (only in tiny text up the top if you have messages pinned on the standby screen)
2. Auto rotation is bugged. Using it in landscape mode the slightest tilt will change it to portrait and back again - HIGHLY annoying when you're trying to do something
3. Can't set internet homepage to Google (or anything other than orange world) when using my WiFi connection.
4. T9 text input is different from all previous Sony Ericsson phones. I have used them for the last 6 or 7 years (from T68i right up to my last C902 which I had for 18months. 6 or 7 years of muscle memory is hard to retrain - why change it to the Nokia system. SE users are normally loyal but you've just p****d me off!
5. No bluetooth acceptance of address books. With every previous SE phone I have bluetoothed my entire phonebook over in a minute or two. This one would not accept it. I had to ass about with PC suite for 2hrs getting contacts to and from phones.
6. No smileys! WTF?
7. Screen double tap or single tap? Which is it? Make it consistent for God's sake, some apps/menu items action on one tap, others need two.
8. When sending SMS the Send and Delete buttons are too close to the Options and Exit buttons. Often when I want to exit I hit delete and have to answer the "are you sure?" with No.
9. No shortcut for lots of items, including "sent messages". Shortcuts are exactly what they say, you should be able to get to virtually any menu options without the high number of key-presses.
10. Screen isn't very responsive. Many times a tap hasn't registered.

I have been a loyal SE user for many years. The ease of use, and more importantly, the ease of transition when buying a new phone was something you could rely on. Ok, this is largely influenced by the Symbian OS, but in all honesty, it doesn't feel like an SE phone. It's lost its identity.
I am seriously considering churning after this, or at least binning this phone and going back to the C902 until something better comes along. Any hope?

(edit SP)

OH, and one more MAJOR gripe...when dialling a system with touchtone options or passwords, the number keys are not visible on the screen. Even worse, the letters are not shown on the keys. Ok I have a reasonable memory and know where the letters are, but when the bank asks for the 7th letter of your password and you have to fumble with the screen to get the numbers up, then try and remember where the letters are in addition to remembering your password, it is pretty bonkers!

Is there an option to "show numeric pad when call in progress?" I doubt it. If not, please fix!!!
[ This Message was edited by: glewis on 2010-01-11 21:12 ]
miguel82
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-09 05:15
There are only 3 things that i really miss from A200, related to be more intuitive and pretty, and that is flash menus with very good transitions, smiles on Sms and animated wallpapers.
Ive been using S60 over this last 2years and it really didnt bother me that much to not have this things because all the phones had everything i needed and worked very well. For exemple with n85 i had god gps software and theres an option to see in nokia maps where the camara pictures where taken (without network charges like googlemaps), a jogging aplication, dedicated music butons, a music player that got everything that you need including automatic playlists, the sliding mechanism allow to rotate the screen witch means that i didnt need to use the autorotation screen option (that i hate on satio cause it works bad), one of the best 5mp cam you can get not to mention 3.5mm jack and the best sound quality you can get... its very close to the best dedicated mp3/mp4players

....there are a lot more of good things that the phone have it and the OS simply does his job. All things work great (except the picture gallery that is slow with lots of pictures).

On Satio its different... better hardware but i cant get nothing of it due to a S60 far worse than nokia. Things improved a lot since i hacked the phone but still there are things that pissed me of... for exemple i cant use the phone for mp3 player since its a pain in the ass to search for songs... and for that reason i cant use the phone for jogging either. Texting is another thing that i use most and its another pain in the ass due to that awfull T9 and screen sensivity (or lack of it). Lack of EAP-LEAP settings on Wifi so i cant use it on my college. Auto rotation works bad and theres no option to unlock the phone with the screen. On top of that theres the 1 day battery life too.

Almost everything i said could be sort out with firmware but to be honest i dont have faith that even the T9problem SE will fix it so i will take a chance with omnia hd. At least dont have any of these issues
gregpot2000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-01-11 18:26
"For exemple with n85 i had god gps software and theres an option to see in nokia maps where the camara pictures where taken (without network charges like googlemaps), "

Mate, can you tell me what this software is called so I can search for it and download it? It's just what I've been looking for!
tobias84
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-01-11 18:51

On 2010-01-08 23:42:16, glewis wrote:
I ws going to rant about T9 text input, but someone already did...

I REALLY have to re-iterate these:

26. ** Predictive text (T9) with the alphanumeric keypad has issues! When trying to enter one letter, say m, n or o by pressing 6 key once, I cannot then toggle between them with the * key like you normally can with predictive text! I have to enter and spell n and o manually! Ridiculous!

27. ** When entering a full stop or comma or symbol after a word when I try to toggle with the * key the word is changed! Ridiculous!...for example if I type "Got any?", then "how are you boy?" I have to type "any", then press the "*" til "boy" appears, so then I type "." and press "*" to get it to a "?" but the word has then already changed back to "any" Highly annoying

My own further gripes (Orange U1i - latest firmware at date of writing):

1. When I receive an SMS it doesn't say who it's from (only in tiny text up the top if you have messages pinned on the standby screen)
2. Auto rotation is bugged. Using it in landscape mode the slightest tilt will change it to portrait and back again - HIGHLY annoying when you're trying to do something
3. Can't set internet homepage to Google (or anything other than orange world) when using my WiFi connection.
4. T9 text input is different from all previous Sony Ericsson phones. I have used them for the last 6 or 7 years (from T68i right up to my last C902 which I had for 18months. 6 or 7 years of muscle memory is hard to retrain - why change it to the Nokia system. SE users are normally loyal but you've just p****d me off!
5. No bluetooth acceptance of address books. With every previous SE phone I have bluetoothed my entire phonebook over in a minute or two. This one would not accept it. I had to ass about with PC suite for 2hrs getting contacts to and from phones.
6. No smileys! WTF?
7. Screen double tap or single tap? Which is it? Make it consistent for God's sake, some apps/menu items action on one tap, others need two.
8. When sending SMS the Send and Delete buttons are too close to the Options and Exit buttons. Often when I want to exit I hit delete and have to answer the "are you sure?" with No.
9. No shortcut for lots of items, including "sent messages". Shortcuts are exactly what they say, you should be able to get to virtually any menu options without the high number of key-presses.
10. Screen isn't very responsive. Many times a tap hasn't registered.

I have been a loyal SE user for many years. The ease of use, and more importantly, the ease of transition when buying a new phone was something you could rely on. Ok, this is largely influenced by the Symbian OS, but in all honesty, it doesn't feel like an SE phone. It's lost its identity.
I am seriously considering churning after this, or at least binning this phone and going back to the C902 until something better comes along. Any hope?

(edit SP)
[ This Message was edited by: glewis on 2010-01-09 09:26 ]

I agree, sms writing sucks on Satio, its like going back to the stoneage from my C905.
They have to fix those issues.
glewis
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-01-13 20:22
Another Wish please:

When you send a txt message, can the most recently used numbers appear in a list please? C902 used to do this.

With the satio it's a faff because you have to search each time, no matter how often you txt someone. I txt my GF several times a day and must waste 20-30mins of my life each day fiddling with the over-sensitive scrolling!!!
dipb
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-15 16:11
Do anybody have idea on when next firmware is going to come ?
Its been more than a month that we have updated and still some issues. For other SE phones and even X2 SE has been releasing updates. For Satio, it seems they have been sitting on it for quite sometime now.

Are they planning a big release !! I would be delighted.
Are they struggling to make fixes with S60v5 ?
or Se thinks that Satio needs no more update ?
glewis
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2010-01-17 10:45
Another wish please: Can you make Notes postable to the standby screen? I used to use this feature on previous phones as little reminders, the "show in standby" function seems to have been omitted on the Satio
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2010-01-17 11:13
As far as updates go, K850i users (yep another flagship phone) where treated poorly
and the slow response from SE for Satio is starting to feel like deja vu
Im of the opinion that SE wouldnt have even bothered yet with the 1st release had networks not withdrawn the handset pre christmas.

I would very much like to be able to add a photo to mms from within the message instead of the stupid thing closing my message. And yes i know you can do it via media .
Also want to add a . instead of an ! at the end of a sentence, why did they do that in the update, grrr
Is it all symbian that text is pants on or just SE's version that is rubbish
These days text is a very basic requirement and text in Satio garbage.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic